Playing DV from MKV

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Retro-Markus, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yeah that's a bloody nuisance - I'd open it in MakeMKV - that'll tell you.

dr4go and Sam Abraham like this.
  2. Pete B

Pete B Member

I don't seem to be able to start a new thread so I'll reply to this one seeing as how my query is kinda related.

Is it possible to view bit depth (e.g., 24-bit, 16-bit) of FLAC/wav/dsf-converted-to-PCM-on-the-fly? I can see sampling frequency and bit rate but not bit depth.

3. Markswift2003

Sorry, no.

upload_2022-12-6_11-33-33.png

4. Pete B

Pete B Member

Thanks for the reply, Mark. Not a biggie but thought I'd ask.

Weirdly, that Post New Thread button ain't on any page I visit. I'm logged in though. Strange things afoot!

5. Markswift2003

Ah - I wonder if new members need a certain number of posts now before starting new threads... didn't used to be, but it's a good idea to cut down spammers...

6. Pete B

Pete B Member

Yeah, probably something like that. Thanks for the reply. Your posts are mucho appreciated down the bottom of the planet here in New Zealand!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  7. Pete B

Pete B Member

I still can't start new threads so am posting here to see if anyone else has experienced this:

Has anyone noticed the image of their 4K Dolby Vision MKVs freeze during the end credits of a movie while the audio continues to play correctly?

I've had this happen on four 4K MKV's with Dolby Vision that I've backed up from the 4K disc using MakeMKV. I haven't monkeyed with the MKV at all afterwards (e.g., I haven't done any editing to remove audio streams or subtitles, etc). If I stop the movie and about 20 seconds later press play, it'll usually sort itself out and play the image correctly.

I'm playing the MKV's back via Western Digital 4TB HDD's in the USB 3 slot. Other 4K DV MKV's don't image-freeze on the credits. No MKV's I've backed up from BD's have done this.

I'm guessing that the additional DV info in some MKV's could be the cause. Why it only does it during the end credits is a mystery though.

Could it be there's something in the MKV during the credits (maybe a chapter break?) that the Zidoo Z9X recognises as a "change" and then has a bit of a stutter with the image?

Let me know what y'all think.

8. Markswift2003

No idea what's happening there - certainly not something I've seen and other than dodgy files or file delivery I can't see any reason for that.

However, I use MakeMKV all the time and don't get this.

I've asked about your account - I can't see anything wrong here so I'll wait and see what they say...

9. Pete B

Pete B Member

Thanks Mark for following up about my account.

Yeah, this is a weird one for sure. It's an intermittent thing but the fact that the image freezes only during the end credits is what makes me think there's something the Zidoo Z9X is reading in some 4K DV MKV's that only sometimes results in the image freeze.

Not a biggie but just wanted to flag it in case others have experienced it.

10. Markswift2003

Can't think of anything related to DV that would cause this that's not file related. I can only think that there's an issue with the RPU but as I say, I use MakeMKV all the time and haven't seen this.

11. Pete B

Pete B Member

All good Mark and thanks for the reply.