Zidoo keeps creating odd Folders?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Dec 5, 2022.

1. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Is it normal that the Z9X keeps creating these few folders on all of my hard drives no matter how many times I delete them?

Android
    Lost.
    System Volume Information
    RecycleBin?

My biggest concern is the last one - where I had deleted the RecycleBin folder on a drive a few times and it indeed had lots of data in it and deleted a few of my movies in the process or at least part of the BDMV folders and then those movies stopped working.

Note: I have set the Posters path to Custom Folder on the Z9X so these are not being used for the poster files etc.

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Same with my 2 internal drives, both formatted EXT4 Zidoo_01.JPG Zidoo_02.JPG The folder Archive is my creation.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Completely normal for Android.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Android creates Android & Lost folders.
    The other 2 System Volume Information and Recycle BIN are Windows NTFS folders.

It would be nice if they could be kept hidden.

Temearoo likes this.
  5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Is it okay to delete them and not compromise any existing data or just leave em alone?

6. Markswift2003

Yes but they'll only come back again. I'd just ignore them.

If you're not using the drive in a PC, the recycle bin and volume info shouldn't come back (although these are hidden directories).

B0RN likes this.
  7. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Thanks Mark, I'm afraid to delete the recycle bin folders as they can delete actual movies on drives. I will leave them alone for now.

8. Markswift2003

It can't delete anything, it's simply the Windows recycle bin, so if you deleted a file while the drive was in a PC and didn't empty the bin, that file would be in there. You can open it to look, but it can't affect any files that are currently on the drive and not in that folder.

9. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Whoa! so that's what's going on... I am deleting files through the SMB all the time and im guessing they just keeping ending up in the recycle bin folder because they never make it to the PC Trash Bin for me to empty. Wish it just deleted em for good.

PS, Mark you are a tremendous wealth of knowledge!

10. Markswift2003

The recycle bin is both a hidden and a system folder in Windows, so even if you have hidden folders visible, you still have to set hidden/system folders as visible too to see it. Unfortunately Android doesn't give a monkeys about that and just shows you anyway.

So maybe leave it alone if you're using a PC to manage it to give you some fallback. Just be aware that as far as Android is concerned, it's just a folder that's getting filled up with files and taking up space.

B0RN likes this.
  11. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Also for me showing these all with Android is an aggravation. Hidden/system should be hidden as also Android/Linux does know the concept of hidden files very well. For me this is a very simple solution.

B0RN likes this.