A great help for those who can't set up Qnap and Z9x NAS correctly

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by andreamusso.am, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Goodmorning everyone, I am a little ashamed to ask this, but by myself I have not come to terms with it. Who has a Qnap NAS, could I, if he has the desire and time, tell me step by step how to set up the NAS so that the Zidoo sees both SMB and NFS? I understand that it can be a big job but, right now, I see the contents only with SMB, always resorting to the backup of the library because, every time I turn off the Zidoo, it "forgets everything". Furthermore, the beauty is that if I go with the browser from the PC to the NAS, it continues to give me the warning that the login on SAMBA has failed ... Actually, I don't understand anything anymore. In any case thanks in advance and have a nice day, Andrea.

2. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Nothing to be ashamed of mate. Regarding NFS I posted some screenshots for you. Can you explain what steps didn’t work for you?

andreamusso.am likes this.
  3. Hello, regarding your screenshots, I don't know but, nothing changes ..... There is a difference then in a voice that does not appear to me ..... Also, the ip address, I have to write it putting some //// in front, or the bare and raw address ... I have already tried all the variants but, unfortunately, nothing changes ....... I still wanted to thank you for your extreme and kind availability. Now, I am attaching a screenshot of what I have ... Also, using smb, you can see everything, too bad that every time I turn off the Zidoo, when I turn it back on, he doesn't see anything, I have to restore the Library. Even stranger case is that I use SMB but, if I access the NAS from PC with the browser, the Nas keeps telling me that the login with SAMBA failed .......... I do not know what to do.......... Let's say there are a myriad of settings and if everything is not correct, you can't get what you want ...

EDIT: I can't find the insert to attach images .............. Sorry, found ........

EDIT (2) I forgot ....... I absolutely want the NAS to be seen only in the internal network of the house, not remotely ......... I apologize but, I wanted to clarify it .........

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  4. Sledgehamma

Lets try to fix the access from the Zidoo first :)

What happens when you insert a "*" instead of "192.168.1.6"?

Do you see the server when you go to:
    Media Center -> press the left arrow on the remote -> NFS

5. Very kind for everything, thanks in advance ...... The first question, that is to put a "*" in place of the address, must be done on the NAS side, right? As for the second question, the Zidoo sees my NAS, it lets me enter where the various folders are but, if I try to enter a folder that I called Multimedia (I have all the contents), it shows it empty , or "unknown" error appears ........

As for the *, nothing changes, I arrive at Multimedia and then it shows it to me empty ........

6. Sledgehamma

Yes, it must be done on the NAS. Sadly, I'm running out of ideas for NFS. Its working perfectly for me with the exact same settings.
    I dont think that it matters, but: The Screenshot on your NAS looks slightly different from my NFS settings. Are you on the latest FW? What version is it?

7. Latest firmware, updated 4/5 days ago ........ Version No. 4.3.6.1620

8. Ok, suppose you can't not NFS, if I use SMB, with that, I can see the contents ......... The problem is that every time I turn on the Zidoo, I have to do a backup restore of the library, how can I do so that the Zidoo, when turned on, remembers the various contents of the library? Also, why does Nas always tell me that the Login on SAMBA was not successful?

9. Sledgehamma

Which model? I'm on 4.5.2.1630

And FW of the Zidoo? Although I never had issues with the Zidoo when it comes to NFS I had them with Dune. So we might want to focus on SMB instead.

I haven't set up SMB for my Zidoo right now. Will do so later and report back. Maybe somebody else can chime in to the problem of Zidoo forgetting the credentials.

10. The model is the TS 431 I also think it is at this point to work on SMB .......... I repeat: there is no way turning on the Zidoo that I do not have to restore a backup of the hybrid. If SMB is synonymous with SAMBA, why do I get a lot of warnings on the NAS that the login (on SAMBA) was not successful if I can still see the contents? I put a screnshot before ..........

11. Sledgehamma

With library you mean Home Theater?

I just added a user for the Zidoo on my Qnap and then on the Zidoo I went to Media Center -> press the left arrow on the remote -> SMB -> Looked for the Qnap and put in user name and PW. After reboot the credentials were saved and I could still browse it.

How many users do you have on the Qnap? Control Panel -> Privilege -> Users

12. Only me and I have given all the permissions, I repeat, I do not know what to invent anymore .....

13. Sledgehamma

Can you please show some pictures of the SMB settings for the Multimedia share?

14. I, on the NAS side, have not done anything regarding SMB. The Nas, I was programmed by a friend for when I had a HTPC, then, without touching anything, I saw that even with the Zidoo I could see, so I left it alone ....... If you can tell me what to do, I thank you infinitely

15. Sledgehamma

Control Panel -> Privilege -> Users -> create
    [​IMG]

new user:
    [​IMG]

Fill in user name (zidoo for example) and set a password:
    [​IMG]

Edit the shared folder permissions and make sure the "Multimedia" share has "RW" or "RO" set:
    [​IMG]

16. On the Zidoo side, there too, I didn't do anything weird, I gave the NAS credentials to SMB (NFS never worked for me) and that's it. What I don't understand is that just a month ago everything worked, then I didn't touch anything anymore ...........

Done, in fact the screens are a little different ........... However, nothing has changed, I turned off the Zidoo, then I turned it back on and it has nothing in memory ....... At this point, I'll resign myself to always doing a library restore with a backup Look, if he was very, very, very kind, but if we can't change the situation, patience, I'll make up my mind ........ Again a huge thank you .......

17. tonerr75

tonerr75 New Member

I have the exact same issue. I have a QNAP TS-473 NA and two Zidoo Z9X. Both units have the same issue as what you described. If I turn off the Zidoo, when I turn it back on, the Source location (SMB) would be disconnected, and cannot be connected back. I would then scan the network for the SMB, but Zidoo won't be able to log in (user name and password is correct). I found out that this is because the Zidoo unit has been blocked due to the QNAP is claiming multiple failed login from Zidoo. I would have to remove the Zidoo IP from the blocked list, and turn off the IP Access Protection for Samba in order for the Zidoo to log in and rescan my movie database. Then I would rer-enable the IP Access Protection for Samba afterward. However, if I turn off the Zidoo, and turn it back on, this process will happen again. The temporary by-pass is not to turn off the Zidoo.... which is silly. And I do not want to permanently turn off the IP Access Protection for Samba on my NAS neither. What is causing this issue? Thanks.

18. MSG56

MSG56 New Member

Sorry for asking such a basic question. So If I create a username and PW for the Zidoo, how is that used by the Zidoo to access the
    Sorry for asking such a basic question. So If I create a username and PW for the Zidoo, how is that used by the Zidoo to access the files on the QNAP?

19. Sledgehamma

No need to be sorry mate :)
    When you want to browse the share or want to add it inside the Zidoo it will prompt you to enter username and password.

20. MSG56

MSG56 New Member

I must be looking in the wrong place. When I go to Library and select the location for the Backup or Restore, it allows me to select the folder without need for a PW, but I keep getting told I don't have write-permission, but the file is not write protected.
    Folder access.jpg