SMB-(?)-problem...

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by furzgesicht, Oct 19, 2022.

1. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

Guys,

I received my Z9X today and wanted to retire one of my Z9S.

Unfortunately I have a very strange (SMB?) problem, even after numerous tests etc. I could not solve the problem.

My configuration, so far with 3 different Z9S in simultaneous operation on 3 LG OLED C1's ran without problems:

My HDD is connected to a Fritzbox (router) as NAS, SMB share in the Fritzbox was granted, everything has worked so far and I have not changed anything in the Fritzbox.

Now I received my Z9x today, updated it to the latest firmware .42, it shows me when accessing via SMB however only the usual system folders of the Fritzbox, but not the NAS folder shared via SMB. Check out the pictures:

Z9S: Dir "NAS" appears as it should be

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------
    Z9X: Dir "NAS" is not shown ?!

[​IMG]

What I already have done is:
    - Resetting the Fritzbox
    - Changed the SMB-path (just for testing)
    - Formatting of the HDD and set it up new

No success.

Meanwhile i definitely have no idea what is going on.

Maybe just one hint:
    When I test accessing my PC, it occasionally doesn't show a folder in the individual dir! Can it have anything to do with the chars used ?!? Are there incompatibilities under SMB? But then the question would remain: why did this all work flawlessly with my Z9S?

Thanks in adavance for any good ideas to solve this frustrating problem!

P.S. Another hint: It looks like that - when I access my PC via SMB - always the 1st folder (sorted by name) is NOT shown. Could it be that the SMB function of the Z9X is buggy?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

There appears to be something strange with the sort function. Occasionally I got some folders on top which are not sorted alphabetically for sure.

3. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

hmmm...sorting is not the problem.

Well, I'm afraid that this (the SMB problem) is an unsolvable problem in the status quo. Therefore, I will have to return the Z9X.

I'm just wondering why no one has noticed this yet, or am I actually the only one who has a NAS hooked up to a Fritzbox (or other router) and uses it to stream...?!

4. Nice Monkey

My guess is 50% or more of all customers are using NAS.

Z9X uses SMB v2/3 but old models typically used SMBv1. Your problem looks one that can be solved. SMB v1 is regarded unsafe by most products now.

5. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

I already deactivated SMBv1 support in the router as there is a function for this. Did not help. As long as this prob exits and is not solved by anyone this player is totally useless for me.

6. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

If it doesn't work for you then just something is wrong with your configuration, I'm using Z9X SMB via WiFi with the NAS of a Fritzbox 7590, with a Raspi 4 and with Windows(11) shares.

7. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

Ok, the pc access is not interesting for me. You say you use SMB via a Fritzbox 7590 (same as mine) and you can see the <NAS-Dir> on your Z9X-screen. Can you please show me relevant screenshots of your preferences referring USB and SMB in your FritzBox? Have you SMBv1 activated or deactivated?
    There aren't many options reffering SMB/USB, so this should be some kind of easy to solve.
    What firmware are you using on your Z9X?
    What firmware are you using on Fritzbox 7590?

Thanks in advance.

8. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

Of course furzgesicht, which setting do you want to see?

Deactivated. SMB 1.0 is a relic of the past.

Latest.

Latest.

9. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

10. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

Fimrwares: Can you please specify your answer: Latest what? Latest Beta or Latest Final (refferring to Z9X and Zidoo Z9X?). For example I am using the latest BETA-Releases: 7.39-100900 BETA

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

For the FritzBoxes 7590 and 7590 AX latest beta, awaiting final 7.50 release.

For the 7490 latest final, I don't expext an upgrade, but it's only a mesh repeater.

Refferring to Z9X and Zidoo Z9X: latest beta, can't remember any final fimrware.

My names and workgroup are different, of course, and SMB 1.o deactivated, like I said.

12. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

@Nice Monkey I was unaware that the Z9X was able to use SMB3. Is that confirmed?

I ask because when I set the min protocol on my NAS share to any of the following options, the Z9X cannot reach the share. SMB3_00, SMB3_02, SMB3_11

As soon as I set the share back to SMB2, it can access it.

13. Nice Monkey

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  14. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

15. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I can confirm that the Z9X is connecting via SMB3_00 (but not the latest SMB3_11) to my media share. This was verified with the smbstatus command, on my unraid server.

16. Nice Monkey

Thanks' for this reply. ;)

17. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

What now?

18. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Sorry, I don't have anything of value to add to your Fritzboxes issue (had to google what one was just now.) I was just confirming that the Z9X can and will use SMB 3.

19. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

I do not have any Fritzbox issues.

You were first saying that "the Z9X cannot reach the share. SMB3_00".

But then you said that "the Z9X is connecting via SMB3_00".

Now what?

20. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Now I happily watch movies hosted on my Unraid server using SMB 3_00. I'm not sure what you want for me.

I'm a guy on the internet, who was having a problem. You are correct that I was having difficulty getting MY Zidoo Z9X to connect to MY unraid share using the latest version of SMB3. I asked Nice Money a question, and was told that Zidoo says it supports SMB 3 on their website. Given that I did some googling and learned how to use a simple command smbstatus on my unraid console. I then changed something in Unraid to configure my SMB share to use a min client of SMB 3_00 (correctly this time it would appear.) I used that status command and verified it was using SMB3_00.

Now what? Maybe I repeat my earlier apology to the creator of this thread for hijacking his thread, ignore your nonsensical question and go watch a movie.