HT Movie Database without active source

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by 3DBuff, Jul 8, 2022.

?

Would you like to have an option of keeping the database of movies when the drive is off?

1. Yes, this is a great idea, I would like that.

55 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No, not interested, it has no value to me, don't waste time on it.

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Looking for support from Zidoo HT users to bring this option into Home Theater. If we get enough support and responses we may be able to get some attention to this problem.

Currently if any of your sources are down or disconnected all movies related to those drives would be missing from HT poster wall. We should have an option in the source selection (where you defined path) a check mark to keep the database alive if the source is disconnected. If selected for all your sources it should keep the poster wall always populated from the last scan. Any active source would be dynamically updated as HT scans it in the background and if the source is down it should keep the posters from the last time. Very similar to Kodi. If no check marks were selected the Home Theater database would work the old way: no drive - no movies. Currently it needs to wake up all your drives to validate the files before showing any posters at all.

My case, I have a couple of drives full of 3D movies. This small NAS is powered down most of the time. I know I have those movies and I don't need to check up on them daily or every time my PC File Explorer refreshes mapped drives. I'm trying to save those drives and energy. Right now I can't see those movies in HT unless I boot up this NAS.

This should also apply to any Zidoo local USB drives or anything else that can be disconnected but you would like to see it in your catalogue of movies.

Similar thread here. Unless this thread and poll is pinned it will get buried in few days :(

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    fandenivoldsk and thenextvision like this.
  2. coyote2

coyote2 Member

3DBuff, IIRC elsewhere you mentioned hoping for a behavior like when a disconnected title is clicked on, getting a prompt to connect it. That sounds like an attractive implementation.

3. Bello78

Bello78 New Member

I was about to create a new thread for such feature.. on ATV, this is perfectly handled by Infusexx.
    List of movies stays up to date and when trying to watch a movie from a down server, it automatically trigger a WoL and wait for the server/nas to be up.
    This is a so obvious behavior.
    @zidoo any technical reason not to implement it?
    At the cost of energy today.. it would be a welcome feature

fandenivoldsk likes this.
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's on its way ;)

5. Bello78

Bello78 New Member

OMG.. you made my day :)

6. fandenivoldsk

fandenivoldsk New Member

Great news! Any ETA?

7. Markswift2003

No - I only asked this morning... :)

fandenivoldsk likes this.
  8. Bello78

Bello78 New Member

Hi Mark,
    Do you also to have the support of WoL when a server is down and wait for the server/nas to be up (with timeout of course)?
    Thanks

9. Markswift2003

One thing at a time... a bit more thought would need to be put into whether and if so, how, to implement WOL in this scenario.

Bello78 likes this.
  10. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Agreed, you probably need a lot more time to check if the device woke up. WOL can also boot the device from power off not only from sleep mode. This would need to be an option per source if you want it or not. Don't need to hang up the whole system waiting for the drive to wake up that is unplugged.

11. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Just show the movies on disconnected source for now, step one :)

12. Markswift2003

Agreed.

Phil181 likes this.
  13. Bello78

Bello78 New Member

Agree too.. but at least we know what has been asked

14. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Another gripe with Home Theater web edit page http://192.168.1.xxx:9528/pc/ On just about every browser I've tried its no longer possible to get to the actual edit page for TV shows. Above 'reviews', top right there is a very large untypical number, when you click on the symbol to edit details you get a spinning wheel forever.

Movies on the other hand are OK. It's really frustrating that it is so hard to edit details on the Zidoo. In a couple of instances I've edited the home details directly in TVDB (I've been a member for yonks) as a work around.

It really would be good if you could directly edit text within the Zidoo

Attached Files:

15. fandenivoldsk

fandenivoldsk New Member

Any news on this one?

16. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Me ? No. Maybe @Markswift2003 may have? From what I deduce, Zidoo are not all that proactive or communicative.

17. Markswift2003

Nope - nothing since - just asked again..

18. Bello78

Bello78 New Member

Hello Mark,

maybe I missed something, but I did not see progress on this topic.

do you have news on your side?

thanks

19. Markswift2003

Nada, sorry.

20. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@mirror and Zidoo team.

We are patiently waiting for movement in this direction. This is such a basic function. We need a check mark by the source selection to keep database alive when the source is disconnected. Those posters should stay in HT until manually refreshed or deleted not because the source is temporary down.

All media programs do it even Jellyfin. I can start Jellyfin server without any drives connected and as long as I don't select refresh it will show full database of media. If I want to play a movie from disconnected drive of course I have to connect, power up, wake up, map or whatever but I still see full database of my collection all the time, ready or not.

Bello78, vddan and Letmein like this.