ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks @Markswift2003 I'll have a delve once the new firmware has been released as am quite busy at the moment :)

2. DMD

DMD Member

I must thank you again for your help, without which I might have returned the product.
    I had trusted the default settings, thinking that they were the optimal settings for a standard setting, which should work without having problems.
    I did not think that a more specific setting was needed to avoid the problem I had described, it would be desirable for Zidoo to default to the setting you recommended.
    I tried last night and this morning both HDR and Dolby Vision files, they go into play after about 4-5 seconds, counting after the player circle.

[​IMG]

I would like to take the opportunity to ask 3 questions if possible, apologizing for some inaccuracies.

1- Maybe I am not familiar with the topic why set the HDMI interval to 16-235 instead of 0-255 because it is not allowed by the HDMI standard?

2- Is it possible to expand the internal memory (16GB) via USB ?, this would be useful to me for increasing the size of the Kodi database (ZDMC).

3- Some UHD movies have both HDR10 and Dolby Vision encoding, is it possible to set preference only for HDR 10 ?

Thanks for the answers

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

1 - Video is encoded at 16-235 (or 64-940 for 10-bit) so I think it's best to chose the value discretely rather than let Auto decide.

2 - Simple answer. No.

3 - If you have a Dolby Vision display, the Dolby Vision layer will always take precedence, but you can set the EDID for HDR10 only to stop this (#3 would do it, or you can send me your EDID and I can remove the Dolby Vision bit).

DMD likes this.
  4. DMD

DMD Member

I thank you, everything is explained now.
    I'm just recontracting a little problem, with ZDMC 19.4 I can't play any file it returns me the message "Unable to play video", yesterday it was working.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the app I restarted the box , but I can't play any file, do I need to do any special setting?

Thank you

5. Markswift2003

No idea - ZDMC was deprecated years ago when it was replaced by HT. It's sort of a pet project with the devs although not officially supported but it seems to have become more popular recently for some reason, but I don't even have it installed.

I think there was some issue with it recently, don't know if that's related to your problem, but try the latest firmware.

Also, there's a new one on the way soon... (firmware, not ZDMC!)

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hope it's for all models :)

7. DMD

DMD Member

Since the problem is with the firmware I have posted in the specific thread.
    I apologize for this issue which does not pertain to this section.

8. DMD

DMD Member

Good morning.
    Maybe I have the wrong setting for my display (LG 65B6V).
    I left the selection "LLDV Priority (LED TV)" by default.
    and when I play a 4K Doby Vision file, I get 1080p resolution on the output.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to set the compatible mode to "Priority Standard Mode (LED TV)" to get the correct resolution on the display.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Markswift2003

First thing to note there is that the Italian translation is incorrect - LLDV is Player Led, not TV Led - so that's a mistake by Zidoo.

The next thing is that the LG B6 is TV Led only so the correct setting would be Standard DV (TV Led) not LLDV.

(To be honest it shouldn't actually matter - if the TV is either TV Led or Player Led but not both, the priority setting should not make a difference so I'm not sure why it comes out as 1080p)

In any case, as I say, the correct setting for your TV would be Standard DV (TV Led) so set it to that.

DMD likes this.
  10. DMD

DMD Member

Thanks for the confirmation, some default settings are misleading.

11. Markswift2003

Default settings aren't really misleading - for example they suit to majority of users who don't want to mess with settings.

Most DV TVs these days are both TV Led & Player Led DV compatible so the default is usually ok.

However I think there is a fault with that setting with a TV Led only TV because as I say, it shouldn't output 1080p like that, but at least there is an easy fix.

12. DMD

DMD Member

Good evening.
    Today I played a Dolby Vision demo file, with the current settings, I get @1080P output and this time, unlike other case that happened to me, it does not depend on LLDV priority (LED TV).

[​IMG]

I was only able to get the @2160p output by turning off the auto frame rate.
    I cannot understand this behavior, maybe it depends on the particular file?
    Thanks for the advice

This is the mediainfo:
    Code:
    Video
    ID : 1
    Formato : HEVC
    Formato/Informazioni : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Profilo formato : Main 10@L5.1@Main
    Formato HDR : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.09, BL+RPU
    ID codec : dvhe
    ID codec/Informazioni : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
    Durata : 2min 23s
    Bitrate : 29,3 Mbps
    Larghezza : 3.840 pixel
    Altezza : 2.160 pixel
    Rapporto aspetto visualizzazione : 16:9
    Modalità frame rate : Costante
    Frequenza fotogrammi : 59,940 (60000/1001) fps
    Spazio colore : YUV
    Croma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Profondità bit : 10 bit
    Bit/(pixel*frame) : 0.059
    Dimensione traccia : 499 MiB (98%)
    Data codifica : UTC 2017-04-13 22:51:30
    Data : UTC 2017-04-13 22:51:30
    Casella configurazione codec : hvcC+dvcC

13. Markswift2003

It's because your TV does not support 4K50, 4K59 or 4K60 in Dolby Vision.

This is a translation of the B6 Dolby Block:

LG B6
    EE:01:46: D0:00:24:18:09:00:AD:52:44:A9:23:0C

DV Version: 1, [long 15-byte version]
    DV DM Version: v3.x
    DV Interface: standard DV only

2160p60: not supported
    YUV422 12bit: not supported
    Global Dimming: not supported
    Backlight Control: not supported
    RED Primary: 0.676, 0.320
    GREEN Primary: 0.266, 0.660
    BLUE Primary: 0.137, 0.047
    MAX/MIN Luminance: 700 / 0.001 nits

That file is 4K59, so because it cannot play at 4K59 and 59.940Hz (the frame rate) is not an integer, it can only play at 2K59.

You'll find that if you play a 4K60 file, because 60Hz is an integer, it will play at 4K30 instead of 4K60

DMD likes this.
  14. DMD

DMD Member

Thank you very much for the very comprehensive explanation, actually it is a 2016 display a bit outdated, maybe next year I will upgrade with the new series.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

You're welcome :)

16. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

You should try all those resolutions and refresh rates from Zidoo quick setup. You may find that some sets work just fine but are excluded in EDID .

17. DMD

DMD Member

Do you mean to change the frequencies in the resolution section?
    I currently have the resolution locked (3840x2160P 60Hz)
    Thank you

18. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Yes, unlock it and change it right there. Choose different resolutions and refresh rates. Zidoo will change output of this Quick Settings screen on demand ignoring EDID. If the screen goes black, no go for this pair. Just use back button. If you disable option of "Switch resolution and refresh rate" it will maintain your selection into the movie let's say 4K at 59fps.

DMD likes this.
  19. Markswift2003

Won't work - This isn't an issue with the EDID as such - the B6 EDID has an HDMI 2 block and allows the full 600MHz TMDS character rate. This is a restriction in the Dolby VSDB.

So turning off Auto Framerate and Resolution will just result in the Dolby VSDB forcing the box to revert to 4K30 for 4K59 DV content, using the nearest, but logically incorrect, frame rate supported in order to maintain 4K resolution.

This will of course also happen if you set "Ignore EDID" in Developer Settings and try to force 4K59. The Dolby VSDB overrides it.

Leaving Auto Framerate and Resolution on allows the box to use the correct logic and select 2K59.

DMD likes this.
  20. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct Mark. I just tested it on my LG OLED E6 very similar to LG B6 both from 2016. I have Gemini Man UHD DV @ 59.94 fps.
    Just like you said. All auto turns it into 1080 DV at 59.94 fps. Locking resolution to 4K and 60 fps runs the movie in 4K at 30fps.
    Movie looks good both ways but I'll go for 2K DV at 60 fps.

DMD likes this.