Black clips at 85 for Dolby Vision output only **SOLVED**

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, Oct 4, 2022.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003 - thank you. I'm hopeless with Video stuff, I'm much better with Audio ;)

2. vddan

vddan Active Member

Quickly.... quickly the new firmware to be able to test the blacks !!
    And congratulations

Sekology likes this.
  3. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Hey Mark, Im sure you've got bigger fish to fry at the moment but I think its worth diving into the code to see if there's anything causing dimmer DV picture with "VS10 on DV only" vs the Auto Mode. Its very much visible on my LG C9 and I believe one other person confirmed the same over at the AVS forums. Thanks for all your hard work!

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Checking...

B0RN and Sekology like this.
  5. Markswift2003

Ok. First let me say I kind of knew what the outcome of this test would be - not that that would bias it in any way, but I know that the same player parameters are called in both cases so I can't really see how there could be a difference.

Anyway, I was curious so here's what I did - I set up two Z9Xs side by side and plugged both into an HDFury Vertex2 on separate inputs.

I assigned the same Dolby Vision EDID to each input and then setup both players to play the RPU Lake test video (I used bluetooth on one and IR on the other and shielded the IR LED on the one being controlled by bluetooth.

I set up one with HDR set to Auto and one on VS10 for DV content only.

I ran the RPU tests on both boxes concurrently and switched between them on the Vertex.

With all the different RPU metadata levels and trims, I saw no difference between images from both boxes.

I then tried a movie - 1917 because it's one camera shot so there's not a lot of dynamic change scene to scene because there's only one scene! Again I started the movie on both boxes concurrently and...

No difference.

As I said, I did fully expected these results but I really tried to see any difference and couldn't.

I honestly have no idea why you're seeing this - I can't even think of a way to replicate it. There's one path through the box for DV and one only and if you see the Double D Dolby Vision symbol when playback starts rather than VS10, that means native Dolby Vision with no fiddling about.

I can load a C9 EDID into the Vertex to negate any possibility of the box affecting anything and then my box will act exactly the same as yours, so if I've missed anything here or you can give me an exact way to replicate this I'll absolutely try again... Maybe some footage that you can easily see the issue in?

Big John, dr4go and B0RN like this.
  6. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Thank you so much you guys for all the work you are doing to help the community

Big John, crutzulee and Markswift2003 like this.
  7. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Thanks for trying... I know my Color range settings really darkened the HDR10 footage when set to Auto and were much better/normal looking at 16-235. Just trying to think of other settings that might be in conjunction to the issue or what I am seeing. I will fire up my Z9X back up and see if I am still able to reproduce with confidence.

I have used No Time To Die for testing extensively and the Picture always seems 5-10% dimmer with VS10 for DV content only setting. And there's not one particular scene that's like that, its continuous throughout the movie. The Matrix may have been another example of this but I don't recall much of this but can test further and list more examples.

PS, what is the best way to output native DV with no fiddling or VS10 so I can compare?

8. Markswift2003

As long as you have an DV EDID or a DV display then any of the HDR modes that mention DV will output native DV plus Auto and if supported, LLDV.

However, since you're trying to see any discrepancy between Auto and any of the "DV" modes, then I'd choose Auto.

9. lightsout

lightsout Member

Could this be an issue on the display side. The other poster has a better display than I do. But for me on a TCL R625 VS10 is too dark, I tried to use it for SDR like you recommended to alleviate so many display refreshes between content, but that mode just looks super dim.

10. Markswift2003

No, I don't think so because the Zidoo is outputting the same thing in both instances so there's no reason for the display to treat either one any differently.

11. lightsout

lightsout Member

Just to be clear I was comparing SDR to VS10. Big difference on my display.

12. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Just tested this out thanks to mcbluna and it works perfectly. Thanks so much for the efforts.

13. Markswift2003

Yes, absolutely, but what we're talking about here is two HDR modes (Auto/VS10 for DV) that produce the same signal (Native Dolby Vision) for a DV input, so the display shouldn't see any difference between the two.

14. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Mark, you have already mentioned this but when do you think we will see the FW release resolving the black clip issue in DV?

Sekology likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

I've been told this week...

vddan, crutzulee, xskip and 6 others like this.
  16. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

I hope for NEO Alpha as well ;)

Sekology likes this.
  17. Eleonor

Eleonor Active Member

I would also like to

18. sojer2005

sojer2005 Member

Hi all, I bought "Shadow Detail Patterns with Bias Lighting Reference" and played it on my LG OLED after installing the new firmware 6.4.40. I took the iPhone to take the picture in night mode, so the brightness is boosted / looks awkward a bit. Can you roughly assess if this problem is fixed in my case?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  19. Markswift2003

Yes, definitely - I can resolve the source to 68 if I turn the display brightness up to full in the display, but with PQ gamma, the performance of the display plays a big part too - I'd say you have no issues there.

sojer2005 likes this.
  20. sojer2005

sojer2005 Member

Thank you :)