Problem with display 4k images

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mecedo, Oct 6, 2022.

1. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Zidoo Z9X cannot display 4k images with bit perfect quality (without rescaling). Huge quality loss occurs.
    Checked with 6.4.35 software too. Below are examples of showing pictures by internal TV viewer and by Zidoo:
    1 TV player.jpg 2 Zidoo.jpg 3 Zoomed TV player.jpg 4 Zoomed Zidoo.jpg

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not sure what it is, but you're doing something wrong - probably in the display.

There's nothing wrong with the output geometry assuming you've not messed with the picture scale settings..

xskip likes this.
  3. mecedo

mecedo New Member

It's sharpness test board with resolution 3840x2160 px. In Zidoo I've tried to manually switch resolution to 4k but it didn't help. As you can see on second attached picture it's fuzzy an softened. It' should be displayed as sharp as on first attached picture (displayed by TV internal player).
    Attached pictures are taken by external camera.

4. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

What are the settings in your display for that specific HMDI input? Make sure there is no sharpening or other “enhancements” enabled.

5. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Ok. I will check it later and describe.

6. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Here are setting:

Attached Files:

7. mecedo

mecedo New Member

It's definitely problem with displaying images. It looks like Zidoo makes downscaling pictures to 1080p resolution an then upscales them again before displaying. If i play 4k sharpness test movie then it's perfect with great sharpness

Attached Files:

8. Sledgehamma

Did you check HDMI settings of your Tv?
    What does Zidoo report as the output resolution? (Press info while playback)
    What does your Tv report as input resolution?

9. Sledgehamma

What does it say under the “resolution” setting?

10. mecedo

mecedo New Member

I don't think is HDMI issue. When playing 4k video file problem is not present.
    In info screen resolution is 3840x2160.

Attached Files:

• Res.jpg
      Res.jpg
      File size:
      244 KB
      Views:
  11. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Markswift2003. Do you know if problem with displaying 4k images on 4k output will be fixed? or maybe it won't be fixed at all? Additionally Zidoo introduces other quality degradation to displayed image which I described on this post: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/hdmi-levels-doesnt-work-correctly.94548/#post-183094. It's embarrassing that simple picture viewer from TV has much better Picture Quality for graphics files than Zidoo with much more powerful CPU/GPU.

12. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You're right, Image Viewer only resolves to 1080p and it, yes, to be perfectly honest, it does it quite badly.

But that's just a shortcoming of the app, not the box.

As to whether the app ever gets upgraded to show 4K, who knows - this device is ostensibly a video player so I wouldn't hold out much hope!

There are probably other apps available for viewing images but I've never looked as it's not something I'd ever use the box for.