Slow loading of poster-wall!

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Sampinto89, Aug 5, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Sampinto89

Sampinto89 Member

I believe there have been some comments on this issue, and I thought it was fixed with the latest beta but that doesn't seem to be the case.

For some reason, the poster-wall started loading slowly for me over the last month or so. I checked my qnap nas to make sure there were no hdd hibernation, changed the storage location of the posters to the device, deleted the .home-theater folder to start a clean initialization, and even decided to reset my uhd3000... Nothing seems to work. I also played around with the settings; first turning on/off "use local images", turning off/on "info parse", etc. etc. and nothing seem to help because it goes back to slow loading after a reboot or two.

I believe this is an issue with the current firmwares because I never had such an issue until quite recently. The posters take a while to load on each page... If I scroll to the bottom, the top posters disappear and they take a few seconds to load again when I scroll to the top.

Any ideas what's causing this issue? I use NFS because of the current issues with smb, and I have no issues playing large files; just the missing posters. It's becoming a pain in the neck!

Update:

I had some time to trouble-shoot the issue with the slow loading poster wall over the weekend, and finally fixed it... The cause was the hard drive setting on the qnap that allowed them to sleep if they weren't being accessed. I already had this turned off, but I recently installed PCIE cards, initialized from scratch, and adjusted all the required settings again.

For some reason, the "hard drive standby" setting didn't stick; I'm guessing it was due to a recent firmware update on the qnap, restart, etc. In summary, if you are having any issues please re-check the settings within your NAS... It may not have anything to with the firmware on the Zidoo machine itself.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  2. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Haha yeah, it's frustrating. I've had this issue for a while and it keeps getting worse with every update. Though I think the cause of your issue is probably different, but nonetheless frustrating as hell. I hope you find a fix.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I wish I could help you guys but I literally have absolutely no idea what's going on here - I've never had this problem and have never been able to replicate it despite trying every trick I know to bugger up my setup!

4. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

After initial scan, the images are loaded from app cache. As a first approach, I'd recommend clearing the cache.

Screenshot 2022-08-05 214400.png
    Screenshot_20220805-214248.png

5. Markswift2003

Do you live in The Matrix?

dr4go likes this.
  6. Sampinto89

Sampinto89 Member

Update:

I had some time to trouble shoot the issue with the slow loading poster wall over the weekend, and finally fixed it... The cause was the hard drive setting on the qnap that allowed them to sleep if they weren't being accessed. I already had this turned off, but I recently installed PCIE cards, initialized from scratch, and adjusted all the required settings again. For some reason, the hard drive standby setting didn't stick; I'm guessing it was due to a recent firmware update on the qnap, etc. In summary, if you are having any issues please re-check the settings within your NAS... It may not have anything to with the firmware on the Zidoo machine itself.

7. Kev_ON

Kev_ON New Member

There is still a problem. Clearing cache does not solve the problem. My hard drives do not spin down when idle.

vddan likes this.
  8. vddan

vddan Active Member

9. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

Setting the posters directory to be local to the Zidoo should be the preferred approach here, no? That completely takes the NAS out of the picture (I thought). It’s been working much better / quicker for me.

Sampinto89 likes this.
  10. Sampinto89

Sampinto89 Member

Make sure there is no standby or any other settings similar to it... That was my problem any ways.

11. Nicholas Hewitt

I finally found the cause of the posters loading slowly. At least in my case it's cause I had a custom collection of all the MCU movies, so like 32 or something movies in one collection. That caused all my posters everywhere to load slowly all the time. I have had this issue for about a year, So finally did a reset and everything was working fine till I added my MCU collection again, then it was back to loading the posters really slowly again. I then disbanded my MCU collection and everything went back to normal.

12. Markswift2003

Nice catch - so for me to replicate, I just create a custom collection and add a bunch of movies to it?

13. Nicholas Hewitt

I had all the MCU Marvel movies in a Custom Collection, then added it to a custom Marvel Category where I had all my other Marvel movies and TV shows.

14. Markswift2003

Right - I'll have a play with this later to see what the trigger is.

15. Nicholas Hewitt

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

16. Nicholas Hewitt

Also sometimes the sow loading of the posters does not happen right away. I'm not sure exactly what things trigger it after that, but it happens after doing a few things in Posterwall. Leaving poster wall, then opening posterwall again. It happens really frequently though like every 3rd time I go in posterwall after doing some stuff. I'm sure you will figure it out. Thanks a lot.

17. Markswift2003

Well I've tried everything..

I manually created a collection, added 30 movies to it, created a custom category and then added the collection to it.

I then added a load of other existing collections and movies to that custom category.

Nada.

Created another custom collection, added about 20 movies to that. Added that to the custom category.

Closed and restarted HT several times. Shut down the box.

I even pulled the ethernet cord out the back so I got "No Posters" but after plugging back in, they all reappeared as soon as the box was on the network.

So no repopulating, and no odd behaviour at all...

Just for completeness, I deleted the manual collections and custom category to get back to where I was, and again, no poster issues.

The only time I get repopulation of the posters is if I reset and rescan HT4 but you'd expect that since it's a brand new database. I never see it during normal operation.

18. Nicholas Hewitt

Weird! well it worked for me, and is still working for the first time in a year. Just weird that you can't reproduce it. maybe different ht settings also factor in.

19. Markswift2003

You'd think so, but I've had this conversation so many times and other users have replicated my settings (they're nothing special) and still have the problem.

One thing that does occur to me is that if your box has been running for a long time, the .hometheatre folder can become completely full of crap.

I've tried to get the devs to include deleting the .hometheatre folder if HT is reset but it's fallen on deaf ears. As I've said many times, I'm forever resetting HT4 and when I do I always make sure I delete the .hometheatre folders which can appear in \\Storage on the box and also in your source locations depending what location you choose for the Poster Folder.

Unfortunately most users don't understand the relationship between the so called Poster Folder and how the database works and where the images actually come from, and nor should they, but as I've said many times, the database housekeeping is a crap shoot and the more you mess with HT, the worse it gets.

You should also delete the .poster3 folder if you use custom widget images and again, that should be deleted during a reset, but isn't.

As I say, users shouldn't have to worry about this stuff, but unfortunately it's necessary.

These are my settings for what it's worth:

Zidoo HT Settings.png