Green screen when playing DV mkv files

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Bigbwb, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

Hey guys,
    I just ripped my first few UHD movies using dvdfab. I used the settings from the sticky thread for my LG C1 oled tv. During playback the audio is fine, the tv recognizes the DV but the screen is either all green or some other solid color…depending on which file I try.

suggestions?

edit- to date all other files in my library including regular HDR ones play perfectly! so its not my TV, hdmi cable, or similar. Its apparently the Dolby vision files or related settings causing the issue. I’m also using the latest beta FW for the z9x.

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  2. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

attached is my edid

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

4. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

Thanks Mark! The EDID I sent you was with my Zidoo connected via HMI through my Yamaha CX-A5200 preamp just as an FYI. I dont believe there's an issue with it being my fireTV stick passes 4k DV through it without issue on netflix.

5. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Sounds like a HDMI bandwidth bottleneck. Try a HDMI 2.1 cable (no point in buying 2.0b any more as price difference is negligible). Dolby Vision generally requires higher bandwidth than HDR. Some poorly made HDMI 2.0 cable may not be able to pass signal at 18 gbps.

6. Markswift2003

Only for 60Hz.

Dolby Vision at 23/24/25 only uses 297MHz which is HDMI 1.4 bandwidth. This was by design so Dolby Vision can be used on HDMI 1.4 equipment.

7. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Doesn't Dolby Vision require HDCP 2.2 which is only available on HDMI 2.0 or later cables?

8. Markswift2003

Nope

9. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

That could be a defective cable, no? A user on another forum had an issue like that.

10. Markswift2003

Doubtful - yes a dodgy cable or connection can produce a classic green screen but in this case it's restricted to Dolby Vision - there's nothing special required of an HDMI cable for Dolby Vision.

Ok, for 4K60 it requires the full 597MHz, but that's only because it needs to use RGB for TV Led and 4:2:2 for Player Led and 4K60 content is generally only for demos (with the obvious exception of those idiot Directors who think content looks better at 60/120Hz). Also, if the cable can't sustain the bandwidth it would simply lose sync and you get black screen.

I'm waiting to see what happens with the samples I posted - that should tell us a lot.

11. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

Thx guys! sorry I wont be back home to try those samples for another few hours. Stay tuned:)

12. Markswift2003

No hurry :)

Bigbwb likes this.
  13. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

Mark,
    All 3 samples played correctly…the tv indicated DV and no green screen! Thoughts? Is it the ripping technique/software I’m using?

14. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

Also, I tried using makemkv software instead and it worked! I prefer DVDfab for ease of use. any guidance on proper settings?

15. Markswift2003

Yeah - the vast majority of issues I see on this board are down to dodgy non compliant files and I was sure that was the case here - I just didn't want to say anything until you'd tried those three files yourself, one of each Profile (well, there is also Profile 4 and 9, but no-one uses them commercially).

I'm afraid I don't have a copy of DVDFab to look at - as I say, I always use MakeMKV - maybe someone else can chime in who uses it?

16. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

Thanks mark! I’ll continue to familiarize myself with makemkv as well. Question! By using this software, will the end result Mkv file play on non Dolby vision capable players? Such as my previous osmc vero 4k+?

17. Markswift2003

Yes, absolutely - Non DV players will just play the HDR10 base layer.

18. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

Awesome! Maybe I’ll switch over! Any helpful hints or suggestions when using makemkv? It doesn’t remove the encryption like dvdfab right?

19. Markswift2003

Yes it does as long as a hashed key exists for the disc...

20. Bigbwb

Bigbwb New Member

which is done automatically if it exists while using makemkv right?