Jellyfin AndroidTV Client Thread

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TK423

TK423 New Member

New forum member literally researching Ziddoo Z9X/Z10 PRO/Z1000 PRO now partially due to potential Jellyfin support. Still on the fence.

2. This type of clients, jellyfin, plex, emby, would have duplicate functions of HT4. I guess HT4 is supposed to be their product differentiator. Any android devices can install jellyfin, plex, emby clients with customized external player.

They will need to make some decision what they want to do down the road. So one suggestion I gave is to provide some type of plugin, like kodi jellyfin or infuse jellyfin, so user can still use HT4 with jellyfin libraries.

3. Its so disappointing to hear that the Zidoo team is starting to be less responsive to you. The Jellyfin integration was what sparked me to get back into using my device. The team needs to understand that a lot of folks would pick up this device if it had apps that worked for popular home streaming platforms like Emby, Jellyfin, and Plex.

I sincerely hope it has nothing to do with this not being developed by them and "competing" with HT because if anything, they should be working with you to officially support this alongside HT. More options is a benefit to EVERYONE.

4. andy22

andy22 Active Member

They just picked-up communications again after a 3 week hiatus. So lets see how things go this time around.

I don't think thats the case, my guess is that they are just busy with the Plex client and other stuff and just don't have my version on any priority list.
    Ofc this does not excuse, that they could not even drop me a simple message telling me that they would be busy for some weeks, especially in the middle of a conversation.

Purple likes this.
  5. Thats good to hear then. Fingers crossed for them to continue collaborating with you. Im excited for both the Plex and Jellyfin clients!!

6. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

On a functionality note, I am getting inconsistent behavior with the chapter functions. The next chapter will not skip forward consistently, sometimes taking you back to the beginning of the chapter you are on. This happens on multiple movies. The same movies do not have this behavior when using HT4, or the plex beta.

Happy to provide more info/testing to help figure out what is going on.

7. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Not really using this function myself, so need to test, but for now can just add it to my long list of to-do's.

8. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Ok good news, we just finished fixing all the remaining nfs/smb mounting issues and added clear-logo support to the player API for the up-coming v.24 firmware.
    The transcode + seeking issue is also handed to some other Zidoo dev, so hopefully we can get this worked out as well.

So for now i have no other open Zidoo API specific issues and will work on more client related features/fixes.

Sledgehamma and Hippoponderous like this.
  9. Zyk

Zyk New Member

Thanks Andy, this is great news!

10. I gave it a try today. It looks like only TrueHD (mkv and ts) can "direct play". DTS need to 'transcode without encoding'. Is it a known issue at the moment?

11. andy22

andy22 Active Member

DTS should direct-play, if the DTS playback option is enabled?
    Would need a example file or some ffprobe infos on the file and why the server transcodes.

12. cima86

cima86 New Member

My DTS files always transcoded and I was told it's because my LG C1/Sonos Arc setup doesn't support DTS.

13. MetalGear

MetalGear New Member

DTS direct plays fine for me, I have a Sony TV and a Yamaha receiver.

14. Where do I enable DTS playback? on client side or server side?

Update: ok, on the client, "DTS capable devices".

Now most of videos are "directly play". There are still some videos need transcoding.

So I guess it maybe a codec match thing. Another notice, user can not select which audio track to play beforehand. Once playback starts in 'transcoding' mode, user can not switch audio track either. So user gets stuck with default (or first) audio track. In Jellyfin Media Player (Desktop version), user can select which audio track and subtitle track to start.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  15. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Absolutely awesome! For clearlogo: does the logo need to be put where the media is (like it needs to be for HT) or does Jellyfin send the clearlogo instead?

16. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I think v24 leaked home theater apk is on mcbluna if not mistaken. Where is the leaked firmware out of curiousity?

17. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Yes, but i recommend installing the Fanart plugin, so the server can grab all possible image types (primary, thumb, logo, banner, clear-art).

Not sure, i directly get those from the Dev's. so i can test stuff.

Whats your use-case for switching audio?
    The idea is that the logic will pick your audio-language and than pick the best possible quality automatically, so there should be no need to switch the audio track.
    Same is true for subtitles, the logic should pick the best combination.

Sledgehamma likes this.
  18. Audio is not always about language, for example, commentary track. subtitle is also not always about language, for example, forced, sdh, commentary. When watching foreign movies, some users prefer original audio language but with subtitles of user's native language. Some users may prefer dubbed audio track. User should be able to select which audio/subtitle tracks to start. Or, provide the ability to switch tracks during playback. Global preference (or logic) can be used to provide default selection.

19. andy22

andy22 Active Member

There are "forced/sdh" options in the settings.

There is a "original" audio option for this, which can also be overridden per user-library/view, specifically to address those cases.

Sure, but i found that in most cases users just want working/smart defaults. Manually switching audio/sub should only be needed in rare cases, like commentary audio. So i focused on getting the defaults working first. The user should not need to know what "default/forced" flags are, so i tried to "smart" select audio/sub's if possible/allowed.

You can open a issue in the main Jellyfin github repo, since that's not really a Zidoo issue. The one sub/audio track on transcodes seem to-be a server issue, so not much i can do about it atm.

20. Thanks for your reply. I notice that Jellyfin Media Player (Desktop version) has this option and so I think it is nice to have.
    Another thought, I am wondering if using "Shared network folder" configuration in Jellyfin can let Zidoo player access video file directly. In that case, user should be able to switch audio/subtitle track as using HT4 to play. However, Zidoo need the access permissions to the shared network folder and it seems there is no where to configure it.