How to play .mov files on UHD3000?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Roney, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Roney

Roney New Member

Hi,

I just received a treasure of videos on a HD. A lot of them is in .mov format and my UHD3000 just says that it can't play these files. Is there any way I can make it play those?

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Most of my trailer files are .mov and play OK Maybe post a MediaInfo report (tree text mode) of one that doesn't play - might help identifying the problem. here's and example of mine

Attached Files:

3. Roney

Roney New Member

Thank you for the quick answer. Actually I have this problem with all .mov files I've tried so far which is a handful. They are all rather large files, I haven't tried smaller trailer files. I will try a few of those and see if it works.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It doesn't matter what container the files are in, mov, mkv, mp4, avi - they'll all work just fine - it depends on the codec. Presumably these files have an unsupported codec and my guess would be divx or av1.

This is why @Netmask asked for a MediaInfo report so we can see what the codec is.

5. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

You could also install ZDMC (a Zidoo Kodi Fork) and see if that can play your old files. The Zidoo player will play all new HD and UHD files and the Kodi player can often play older lower-res files and codecs (like dixv/.avi).
    VLC for Android may also be installed and may be able to play those files.

6. Roney

Roney New Member

Sorry for being a little thick.... The file that Netmask showed was only a list of trailer files. But here is one of the files mediainfo.

Attached Files:

7. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Ok, so that's an old 480i QuickTime file. You can try my suggestions above to play (I don't have any QuickTime files to test).

A more permanent solution would be to simply transcode and save these QT files to a more modern codec, like x264 or perhaps x265

Roney likes this.
  8. Roney

Roney New Member

Thanks Phil- I'll see which way I'll take.

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

They're actually Apple ProRes which is a proprietary Apple codec used for on and offline editing in Final Cut Pro.

Proprietary in Apple's vocabulary means completely incompatible with anything useful anywhere ever.

Roney likes this.
  10. Roney

Roney New Member

Many trials and errors later with transcoding the files with a ton of different programs and giving up since the new files always got lines when there was sudden movement on the screen no matter which container I choose I finally succeeded in downloading VLC onto my Zidoo. Quite a few tries the Zidoo said that the VLC was installed but it never came up. One time it was added but I couldn't play any files since VLC couldn't find the internal discs. But then I downloaded an earlier version of VLC and it works ok now. Thanks!