4K UHD Dolby Vision "issue" and some other first time questions :)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DHP, Aug 19, 2022.

1. DHP

DHP Member

Hi first post on the forums, just got my Zidoo Z9X, and I am absolutely loving it, but have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can answer, hoping that I am not breaking any rules by posting this, if so please let me know so that I can correct this post:

1. When playing a 4K UHD Blu-Ray with Dolby Vision, I dont get Dolby Vision output, just HDR10, when I chose playback as a Blu-Ray with menus, but if I chose to play it directly with no menus just play the main title, I get correct playback in Dolby Vision, hope this makes sense an maybe someone can clarify why this happens on all 4K UHD Blu-Rays, all other Dolby Vision works perfectly ?

2. What is the maximum Harddisk size that you can connect via the SATA port on the Z9X ?

That is about it, just wondering about the UHD BD Dolby Vision thing, and why it is happening o_O

Cheers and have a great day :)

xskip likes this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You're not on a really old firmware are you?

No issues with Dolby Vision playback through BD Menus I'm aware of.

DHP likes this.
  3. DHP

DHP Member

I am on the latest beta firmware v6.4.20, so I think I am up to date, the UHD BD is in folder structure, maybe I should try in ISO format as well ?

4. Markswift2003

Yep, that's the latest.

Just tested to be sure and ISO and BDMV both behave the same.

Some BDs don't have Dolby Vision menus and some do, but in all instances I tried just now, the main movie always switched to DV regardless of whether the menu was DV or not.

(this is of course with HDR set to Auto)

5. DHP

DHP Member

About the menus, that I am aware of, some UH BD menus are even in 1080p, weirdly enough, but it's the main feature that is the problem, for me at least :(

My Zidoo Z9X is connected to my a Sony 77" a80j OLED via my Denon AVR-X1700H and everything in the Zidoo Z9X is set to auto and all video and audio is passed through to my OLED via the Denon no problems at all and is output in their correct formats, except for when playing back the UH BD with menus and Dolby Vision, so strange.....

I will try to reboot the Zidoo Z9X and the rest of my equipment to see if it helps, might be a HDMI hand shake issue or something else going on as UHD BD's with DV plays back fine on your system, but thanks a lot for helping out, will try to figure out if the issue is with some of the equipment then :)

6. Markswift2003

The fact that if you choose video only you get Dolby Vision kind of tells us that the HDMI chain is ok, so from what you've said, and particularly when you say this affects all titles, I'd have to suspect the ripping process.

As long as the EDID includes DV, and it obviously does otherwise you wouldn't be able to play other content in DV, then the Zidoo would spit out DV when appropriate.

DHP likes this.
  7. DHP

DHP Member

I will try to re-rip a couple of discs and see if I can figure it out, thanks a lot for the help so far, any expirience with 14+ TB harddisk via SATA on the Zidoo Z9X by any chance ?

8. Markswift2003

Sorry no, I use network storage only.. @Nice Monkey is the guy to ask ;)

9. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

16 TB is not the limit, as it is for the internal HDDs?

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Never got a response to my diagnosis that there is a 17.5 TByte upper limit with Android 32-bit using NTFS via SATA. Didn't try bigger myself.

DHP likes this.
  11. DHP

DHP Member

So what you guys are saying is that if I go with a 14TB disk it should work and maybe a 16TB if I am understanding correctly ?

12. Markswift2003

Just have to play devil's advocate here - Network storage is the answer - absolutely no limits. Ever.

DHP likes this.
  13. DHP

DHP Member

I 100% agree, but do to moving to a new apartment, my setup doesn't allow for cabeled networking, so being stuck with Wi-Fi I chose to sell my 70tb unRAID server, a bit of a bummer, but sometimes life comes in the way :confused:

14. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

No Problem with a 14Tb (I use a WD RED Plus 14TB in internal), either with a 16TB HDD (I know users using this capacity without any issue). I also use a DAS from Qnap with four 14TB (used as individual HDDs) and plugged to one of the USB port of the Zidoo, and I used the 2 HDD version before. No issue in any case.

DHP likes this.
  15. DHP

DHP Member

Cool thanks for the quick response :)

16. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

You could use a dock with a couple of bays and then plugg it in USB, just as I do with my DAS (TR-002/TR-004).

DHP likes this.
  17. DHP

DHP Member

Thanks will have a look into this option as well :)

18. DHP

DHP Member

Sorry I missede your answer, so what you are saying is that a 18TB drive should work, because the actual/usable space is below 17,5TB on a 18TB drive ?

19. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I will work for sure if you limit the format to 17.5 TByte maximum. Described it in detail on several locations.
    https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=576

DHP likes this.
  20. DHP

DHP Member

Thanks a lot, will check up on it :)