Beta version v6.4(7).20 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000/NEO X/NEO S/NEO Alpha

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Jul 28, 2022.

1. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

if you can post a link to those test patterns we could try them too,to see if they work for us

2. Sekology

Sekology Member

3. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

This happened to me many firmwares back but not see it for a long time. I use the info button a lot during TV shows and movies and it never happens anymore.

rozel, darkeyes909, crutzulee and 2 others like this.
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Ok - I downloaded that test pattern and damn - it looks like you are absolutely right.

I'm still not 100% sure what's going on here because I have a DV Profile 5 Pluge that shows clipping around 72.

As with all these patterns, you can only resolve to the levels provided by the test pattern, but I trust Spears and Munsil above all else and this pattern resolves to individual 10-bit levels rather than percentages as a lot of others do.

I've been waiting patiently for them to release a Dolby Vision disc which has been promised for a long time now - this is the first Dolby Vision test pattern I've seen come from them, so thanks for the link.

I've passed this onto the devs and let's see what happens.

Sekology likes this.
  5. Markswift2003

Quick question, what are you using to play the DV file on the Shield in DV?

Sekology likes this.
  6. Sekology

Sekology Member

Hi Mark, many thanks for your confirmation. I am using Maven's Kodinerd version (modified for DV playback) https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thread/69428-Maven-s-Kodi-Builds-für-Android/. Even when I am not using Shield I am able to see the gradient blacks on the internal player of the TV on all levels. I would not mind it if it is not visible on the real content. I love my Zidoo, I don't have have any stuttering problems with it. The only thing which bothers me is the black levels.

7. Markswift2003

I must admit I've never had a real world issue with black level - it's not as big an issue with DV/HDR as it is with SDR because of the way PQ gamma works, but this needs to be fixed - it's a very definite hard clip at 85.

xskip, Oldpainless and Sekology like this.
  8. Sekology

Sekology Member

I haven't really realized this issue either until I watch GOT in DV, it is becoming more visible in series with scenes with dark settings.

9. Markswift2003

What's quite interesting is that if I play that file on my Sony X700 it still only resolves down to 76, although it doesn't hard clip in quite the same way the Zidoo does - it more fades out as I expect PQ to do.

A test pattern like this is going to be very dependent on how a display translates the PQ curve. As I said earlier, PQ, unlike standard power gamma (2.2, 2.4 etc) comes out of black very slowly.

This is a typical SDR Rec.709 Power Gamma - you can see it comes out of black immediately:

upload_2022-8-12_12-34-17.png
    (X-axis input, Y-axis output)

This is a typical HDR ST.2084 Perceptual Quantiser Gamma curve - as you see, blacks initially rise very slowly:

upload_2022-8-12_12-35-46.png

I haven't tried the Shield yet - I really can't be doing with fannying around with Kodi and all its associated nonsense, but if you're seeing a kind of linear response down to 64 then that's wrong as well - it should be very difficult to see anything below 80 or so...

If anyone knows of an easy way to view local Dolby Vision files on the Shield I'd be happy to know about it!

Sekology likes this.
  10. Sekology

Sekology Member

You really took this to another level, if you would like to have hassle-free dolby vision playback on Shield TV, I can recommend Vimu Media Player. It supports dolby vision playback and available for download in Google store. I just checked and I can see all the levels down to 65 in DV pattern.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. Markswift2003

Cool, thanks - that's much better than Kodi - I'll give that a try this afternoon.

Sekology likes this.
  12. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

can you run the test direct on the TV see how it stands up there ?

13. serg fedorov

serg fedorov Active Member

There was a problem with AFR. I watched the cartoon "I am Groot", 5 episodes, when switching to the next series, the AFR gives out 60Hz, but it should be 24Hz. Such a sore has long been noticed, but it either disappeared with the next firmware, then it appeared again. Now it has reappeared.

14. Is anyone able to double check these scenarios?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  15. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

with player set to VS10 HDR/SDR

Devil in a Blue Dress (DV)
    BDMV Menu DV 3840x2160p @60
    BDMV Direct DV 3840x2160p@60

Edge of Tomorrow (VS10)
    BDMV Menu VS10 3840x2160p@60
    BDMV Direct VS10 3840x2160p@60

16. serg fedorov

Why does a player for $30-40 work perfectly on bluetooth with wireless headphones, but these zidoo, like the previous ones, work disgustingly?! Sound out of sync, constant interference and the loss of one of the channels !!
    The bluetooth versions are the same, 4. The android version is the same, 9.
    On the X96MAX +, wireless bluetooth headphones work fine. On zidoo Z9X it is very bad that it is impossible to use.

17. Thanks for checking.
    Though you seem to have a 4k display - my issue seems to occur when VS10 is activated and outputting to a 1080p display.

Also - were you expecting 60Hz, or 24Hz with your movies?

18. Markswift2003

Not sure why this is happening to you.

First thing to say is I presume you mean 1080p23 above and not 24 since there is very little 4K BluRay content at 24Hz - most is 23.976. However, I tried some 4K24 content as well.

I loaded a 1080p EDID (from a Pioneer Kuro Plasma) so my box will only output up to 1080p60 Rec.709.

I set HDR to VS10 for all content.

I tried a few 4K ISO and BDMV rips and results as follows:

4K BD ISO (A Quiet Place) => 1080p23 for both BD Menu and Direct Play
    4K BD BDMV (Birds of Prey) => 1080p23 for both BD Menu and Direct Play
    4K BD ISO (Flash Gordon 24fps) => 1080p24 for both BD Menu and Direct Play
    4K BD BDMV (Total Recall 24fps) => 1080p24 for both BD Menu and Direct Play

I tried various others but there's no point showing all of them since the results were the same.

Out of curiosity I also tried a couple of HD BluRays and they behaved as well.

19. serg fedorov

Dear Mark! Could you provide this EDID for download?
    Thank you.

20. Markswift2003

serg fedorov likes this.