Beta version v6.4(7).20 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000/NEO X/NEO S/NEO Alpha

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Jul 28, 2022.

1. serg fedorov

serg fedorov Active Member

As in previous firmware, HD audio mixing DOES NOT WORK here either.
    Sound over SPDIF in E-AC3 fotmat passes ONLY up to 600 kbps. If more than 700 and above, then it does not work at all.

At the same time, heavy tr-hd sound of 3000 or more passes completely freely in the DTS core mode.

Not sure what is the problem??

2. andy22

andy22 Active Member

mhh thats weird, i thought optical-spdif can only support around 600-900 and that's why most devices cap it at the usual AC3-640?

Would be cool if Zidoo is one of those very rare devices that support higher spdif rates? So what does Mr. Forum know about this topic?

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Lol.

Nothing at all I'm afraid - I don't think I've ever plugged anything into the S/PDIF on any of these boxes..

4. serg fedorov

SPDIF is a rudiment and no one ever uses it?
    Equivalent to AFR and HDMI Range. AFR needs to be set manually, because some have a long synchronization, and earlier it DID NOT WORK at all. Yes, it still doesn't work well from time to time.
    The HDMI range was simply not working, I had to set it to 0-255.
    Do you think that was not a problem either?

Now, there is a spdif port, there is a problem with the sound.
    And there are people who use optical sound.
    But again this is probably not a problem.

5. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

yep, that was the same here. With windows no problems, but with the Zidoo it gave permission issues. My tip would be, to try it. make a new folder with all permissions open? ( guest & anyone can acces )
    22 TB syno here, and zero SMB issues anymore with the most recent 9, and an older Z10 model.

6. Markswift2003

AFR and HDMI range work just fine.

0-255 is not the correct HDMI range for video.

vddan likes this.
  7. serg fedorov

I'm talking about old problems that were.
    Users paid attention to them and these problems were solved.
    Now AFR is working well. But sometimes it doesn't work the first time. But it's not a problem.
    0-255 had to be set earlier, on the 35th firmware. In the 55rd or 60th it was fixed. Black no longer crumbles when set to AUTO or 16-235.
    Therefore, I give such examples that it is possible that in the next firmware they will pay attention to problems with optical sound and mixing HD audio

8. Steven Jeffery

Steven Jeffery New Member

I have my movies stored on a synology nas. I've been trying to do a source scan through NFS on z1000pro but it's not finding anything. Only SMB will produce results, but SMB is resulting in stuttering issues and audio dropout. I've even tried doing a manual search using server IP address with no luck. How can I get NFS to find my nas server?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  9. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I have an issue with this release. Some DV UHD disks will display the menu in HDR10 and then will contunue play the main movie in HDR10 and not DV.

Exanples are below (I may have more):

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (BDMV)
    Everything Everywhere All at Once (BDMV)
    Pitch Black (ISO)

Playing direct they will play in DV.

10. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I've tried several BDMV UHD rips and I am not seeing this. All play at correct rate from main menu.

11. Markswift2003

So what are the exact problems with:

1. Optical Sound

2. Mixing HD Audio

Please be specific about video and audio formats and codecs

12. serg fedorov

For example this movie- https://controlc.com/eb68504a
    or this one-https://controlc.com/48cc01d9
    E-AC3 • 5.1 • 768 kb/s •
    Mixing doesn't work at all. Because there is absolutely no difference whether it is turned on in the settings or turned off.
    It feels like it is mixed by choice and in automatic mode.
    Heavy audio tracks 5.1, 7.1, even when the mixer is off, the DTS core normally transmits via an optical cable.
    And this should not be, because the hd mixer is turned off.

13. Markswift2003

There's actually no defined bitrate limit in the spec for S/PDIF but obviously it has its physical limitations.

Whilst Dolby Digital (AC3) has a bitrate limit of 640Kbps, Enhanced AC3 (E-AC3) has a limit of 768Kbps.

Part of the E-AC3 spec is that an E-AC3 bitstream is converted (without transcoding) to a AC3 Bitstream at 640Kbps for transport via legacy connections like S/PDIF.

This is exactly what happens with the Zidoo - If I play any 768Kbps E-AC3 track via S/PDIF it is correctly converted to AC3 at 640Kbps and audio is perfect.

I've tested this with several E-AC3 tracks and can find no problems.

Out of interest, I also tested some DTS-HD tracks and as expected, the 1,509Kbps DTS core tracks also played perfectly over S/PDIF.

Can you try this clip to see if it plays ok (obviously it plays perfectly over S/PDIF here or I wouldn't ask!)

https://mega.nz/file/tbAjgaxY#o2yjJZoo0M4nsQAX03JdFjLD7Njt7YwJS1tX8dRc3LQ

Ok - I'm sorry but I'm struggling to understand what you mean here - there is no option for "mixing" so I assume this is a language thing - can you try and explain please?

14. serg fedorov

Thank you very much Mark!
    They clarified a little for me all the points related to optical sound. As I understand it, this is not a player problem, but my problem with outdated equipment.
    Sorry and thanks again!
    Regarding HD audio mixing
    Settings-Audio-Mixing HD-audio degradation ac3 and DTS quality degradation.
    It is these last two points that do not work. They can be turned on or off, but this does not affect the work with sound, with absolutely anyone.

15. serg fedorov

Sure, I'll check it out now.
    Thank you!

16. serg fedorov

Everything works fine on SPDIF!
    5.1 sound I heard and the receiver confirmed.

17. Markswift2003

Gotcha - is this what you mean?

upload_2022-8-5_18-45-27.png

So again, these work perfectly for me.

If you're using S/PDIF both these must be turned on so that the following happens:

1. For DTS-HD soundtracks the built in DTS "core" audio is output over S/PDIF

2. For True-HD/Atmos there is no "Core" audio so when you rip the disc you must include the "compatibility" AC3 track separately otherwise you will only have silence. This is a restriction of the Dolby specification and not the box.

18. serg fedorov

Yes it is.
    But the fact of the matter is that I have these options turned off. Tried turning it on but no effect.
    Maybe they don't work for optical audio output?
    I have no other explanation, because these parameters work for you. You are using HDMI sound output, for sure everything works there, I just haven't tried it.
    My fault, sorry. And thanks again!

19. Markswift2003

They must be turned on if you use S/PDIF

Yes they do, but as I said previously, if the audio is TrueHD you MUST include the AC3 soundtrack also because there is no core audio for TrueHD.

No - I am testing with S/PDIF only here.

serg fedorov likes this.
  20. andy22

andy22 Active Member

From what i understand that's not fully correct, E-AC3/DD+ allows up to 6144 kbit and 15.1 channels, while AC3/DD only 5.1 at 640 kbit.
    Than also the 5.1 AC3 in a DD+ called "legacy stream" is optional, so not sure how this is handled in the wild.
    You also need to transcode a "true" E-AC3 stream into AC3, since the codec is different, so you still rely on the present of a "legacy Ac3 stream" for spdif.

I think DTS-HD requires a DTS-Core stream and the "HD" part is just added on top, similar to DV FEL? Not 100% sure...

Than many TV's and the ShieldTV do license the "Dolby Multistream Decoder MS12" so it can transcode or extract any dolby format via spdif.

Thats what my TV's does, it will transcode/extract any dolby format into a 5.1 AC3 if i select spdif via ARC.
    Yet without this many devices will either just send a PCM stereo signal or nothing, if the legacy AC3 stream is missing.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    serg fedorov likes this.