Zidoo Dolby Vision. Which gamma value is correct ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Zidixx, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

Which correct gamma value (TV-Settings) is used for Dolby Vision films on the Zidoo , 2.2, 2.4 or BT.1886 ? Is it really just a matter of taste? In the new movie Fantastic Beasts 3, BT.1886 looked very good. I now set the gamma differently for every Dolby Vision film, every film reacts differently.

2. Blue Stinger

Blue Stinger Member

For Dolby Vision content, the gamma level should be locked because it is a dynamic metadata-format. If your TV is working properly, you shouldn't be able to change anything there.

3. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

I can not confirm this. I have a Panasonic Oled and play my MakeMKV DolbyVision files through the Zidoo. My gamma settings are always active to adjust. The real reason will be that it's not about "real DolbyVision", but only about single layers.

4. Blue Stinger

Blue Stinger Member

I believe you. But it doesn't change the fact that the change in the gamma curve in Dolby Vision Mode is completely wrong - for both single layer and dual layer. Panasonic seems to allow an intervention. I recommend leaving this setting on default.

Zidixx likes this.
  5. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

Thank you for your reply. Is there even a correct gamma for Dolby Vision?

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Dolby Vision, like HDR10, uses a Perceptual Quantiser (PQ) gamma curve defined by ST.2084.

BT.1886 is a Power Gamma only (generally) applicable to SDR content. The numbers, 2.2, 2.4 etc define how steep the curve is.

ST.2084 is completely different and not defined in such a way.

On both the display and the source you shouldn’t be able to change the gamma if everything is working properly for Dolby Vision - it’s kind of not applicable since the metadata, and hence the gamma is dynamic. Slightly different in the case of LLDV - that uses a static ST.2084 curve since the player deals with the metadata and outputs a pre-processed signal on a static ST.2084 curve.

dr4go and Zidixx like this.
  7. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

as always, thank you markus for your answer. I understand that too. It is obviously possible with my two Panasonic devices (TX65-HZ2000 and DP-UB9004) to tweak the gamma settings, even though Dolby Vision content is present. panasonic obviously takes a different approach, like the rest of the manufacturers.