Beta version v6.4.06 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000/NEO S/NEO X release

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, May 21, 2022.

1. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Simples. Don't use NFS! I've found SMB just as reliable on the Zidoo

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  2. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

never had problems with NFS or SMB (only protocol wise on a very early stage of the Zidoo) i use static DHCP on my Router ;-)

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not necessarily, it depends how the host name is allocated - if it's a Windows PC, then probably yes, the Zidoo will allocate with the Host Name but if it's a NAS then it's likely the IP address is used even if you identify the device by the host name.

DHCP should really only be used for transient devices (phones, tablets and the like) and static IP addresses used for anything permanent - even if you just allocate a fixed IP address in the router within the DHCP range using the MAC address so the DHCP server allocates the same address each time a lease is renewed.

3DBuff likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

fsim2000 likes this.
  5. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

QNAP e.g. uses also the hostname for so if you search from the Zidoo for SMB or NFS shares you will see if hostname or IP is used :) but I use always the same static IP (allocated by my router via DHCP) so no problems at all with that settings.....also Zidoo Player has it fixed as every device (except guests ->seperated WLAN)......

6. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

No thanks, I prefer the simplicity and stability of NFS across my zidoo, atv, shield, oppo 203, chinaoppo clone, but everyone has preferences. no username or passwords required with NFS on LAN for me.

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Moved to a big 5-slot quick loading HDD docking station myself which is automatically switched to the media player powered on using a powered by USB 4-port USB-3 Switch.

Works amazingly well. :D
    No setup, plug&play per HDD, live HDD swapping, no power consumption or wear & tear when docking/drives are unused. Yes, the backup must be done manual but that is it. The chance for an actual HDD failure are very very low this way.

Blue Stinger likes this.
  8. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

With SMB, I also have no users and passwords, and speeds over 100 MB/s. On the contrary to NFS, I don't have to install anything extra. That is the simplicity.

9. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

Not work for me :( No user/password pair on my windows, but the z9x always asks for me. The Windows see my Zidoo (and I can log in from it), and my Zidoo see my Windows. But it always ask : user and password?

10. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I set 3 settings in Windows:
    1. full permissions for sharing with everyone.
    2. in the Security tab, full access for everyone.
    Under Network and Sharing Centre, I switch off password-based sharing.
    When I access the share from Zidoo, a window appears with the user name and password, which I leave blank and tick Anonymous, OK and I can access the share.

Full permissions are not necessary, but I also delete files from the Zidoo sometimes.

crutzulee likes this.
  11. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

THX, it's working :D I already know what I messed up. This :

1. full permissions for sharing with everyone.

Thank You again! :D

darkeyes909 and Bill-Z9X like this.
  12. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

When setting up a SMB source on the Z9X on my Synology NAS I can use the server name or the IP. As I do have a static IP for the NAS I do use the IP. Just saying I could use the server name if required.

13. Markswift2003

My NAS is the same - you add by server name (in my case NAS17, NAS19 and NAS20) but once resolved, HT4 still uses IP addresses. If I use a Host Name from a Win PC, it just stays with the name.

14. danbez

danbez New Member

Yesterday I was playing with different desktop resolutions and I found an issue: If you lock your desktop resolution to 1080p23, while still allowing Zidoo to change both the framerate and resolution to match the movie, the VS10 engine won't kick in. I tried with two different movies - one HDR and a second one DV - and both were using HDR10 according to the OSD. Change (and lock) the desktop resolution back to 4K23 allowed the VS10 engine to work as expected. BTW, my VS10 is set to convert HDR/HDR10+/DV to LLDV, leaving SDR alone.

Plus. when trying ZDMC, I also found out that the VS10 engine never works (falling back to HDR10), even after change back the desktop to 4K23. (I double checked that the external player was selected in the config options of ZDMC)

Are those known issues?

15. Markswift2003

Curiosity got the better of me here...

So I changed GUI resolution to "1080p23", set HDR to "VS10 engine (for HDR DV content)", set Auto Frame Rate to "Match frame rate and resolution" and...

4K23 DV material played as expected in 4K23 DV

4K23 HDR10 material played as expected in 4K23 DV

4K23 SDR material played as expected in 4K23 SDR

Am I missing something?

16. danbez

danbez New Member

Thanks for checking Mark! I tried again this morning, just to make sure the device was not in some strange state yesterday night. I could repro the problem again. Here is a video showing the behavior I described above:

Any ideas of what could be happening here?

(sorry for the low quality on the video).

17. Markswift2003

Very odd!

Can you send me a copy of that video, or a small clip of it to test here?

18. danbez

danbez New Member

Sure! Just sent you a 5 min sample via private message on the AVSForum, since this one is blocking the http address where I uploaded the sample.

19. Markswift2003

Cool - downloading now and I'll see what happens here today...

20. Markswift2003

Just tried the file and as I kind of expected, it played in 4K24 Dolby Vision just fine...

I had Frame rate mode set to "Switch frame rate and resolution"
    Resolution set to "1080p 23Hz" and locked (the lock is only for powering on)
    HDR set to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for HDR, DV content)"

And this is v6.4.06.

Also tried Resolution set to Auto and the same happens.

The only thing I can think here is that something freaky is going on with the EDID or the SOC has got itself confused.

Before you try a factory reset, can you upload your EDID... (I assume you've tried a full power down?).

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID
    Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to post on forum