Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Ant14

Ant14 New Member

OK, thanks :)

2. Ant14

Ant14 New Member

May I ask you folks, what average LAN speed (RJ45) do you get, with Gigabit Fiber subscription ?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  3. Cranks

Cranks Member

I haven't tried usb, but I will and I don't have a HDD installed.
    I'll try SMB as well, Unplugged power and reconnected.
    Watched The Batman (172mins) and was going well til the 2hr mark then froze three times before I shut it down. Continued on the Shield with a glitch.

4. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

A couple of things:

1. I've noticed all my Posterwall fanart backdrops are zoomed in/enlarged. Is there a setting I need to adjust to have them displayed at their normal size?
    2. Hi-res multi-channel FLAC music files greater than 24bit/48kHz are unplayable and highly distorted. However, I have no issues playing the same files up to 48bit/192kHz if they are in the uncompressed WAV format. Is there an audio setting I need to adjust?

5. Cranks

Cranks Member

My previous post is missing so I'll try again.

Played a file from USB without a problem.
    Disconnected NFS to all folders on NAS and connected with SMB. Scanning took a while but we got there.
    Fired up Moon Knight and she froze. Stopped and restarted it and it froze again. Switched to Shield and played til the end.

This is so frustrating

Where do I go now? Should I / can I connect the Nas directly to my Z1000Pro? Would this solve the problem or do I have a dud Z1000Pro?

6. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Moon Knight? Isn't that just a streaming title on Disney Plus? Zidoos are optimized for local media file playback only...Otherwise, I would swap out ethernet cable/cables and/or use a different port on your switch, reboot your router as well, just in case... then if no go, reset your 1000 back to factory defaults and give it one more shot.

7. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

There is software out there that will download streaming videos to hard drive. There are also people that share such downloaded videos over torrent and usenet. The format of the downloads can vary greatly. Playback of such downloaded videos are not that reliable unless you are the one that downloaded/encoded it. And it is practically very hard for us to help without MediaInfo of the file.

Cranks and Netmask like this.
  8. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I think it ought to be a sticky or requirement that whenever one has a problem with a small number of files a full MediaInfo report file should be included with the first post, otherwise anyone attempting to help ends of going on a ‘wild goose chase’ leading nowhere…

9. Kaiduss

Kaiduss New Member

Don't fully understand the HDMI mode and FPS switch settings.
    I would like to watch 1080p 24 fps content with that resolution and framerate, same for 1080p 30 fps content. However, the output mode is set to whatever I pick in HDMI mode (2160p 60 Hz if it's auto). I have automatic frame rate setting set to "Switch framerate and resolution" but it doesn't seem to work?

Edit: Z9X with version v6.3.42

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  10. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

With USB playing fine, your issue appears to be somewhere in your network set up or network connection to the Zidoo (or even the network cable itself).
    A cable directly from router/switcher to the Zidoo may be worth testing.

If it helps, I have watched a few Dolby Vision episodes of Moon Knight from a NAS over WiFi, with no problems, on my Z1000 Pro.
    Only suggestions I would have is to allocate a fixed IP for the Zidoo (if you have not already done so) from the router and to also trial WiFi playback using 5G band with TV episodes (as movie files over 25Gb are more likely to buffer on WiFi).

11. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

You may write b6.3.92. And I've got similar issues in my Z9X - SMB with NAS-Ethernet connection (more stable than wifi) that seems to mishandle buffering. Believe developers are working on that at this moment.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  12. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That should work ok - can you provide your EDID:

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to post on forum

13. Kaiduss

Kaiduss New Member

Here it is (just changed the extension, didn't convert the bin file to txt).

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  14. Markswift2003

Firstly, there's nothing odd in the EDID - I half suspected the video modes to be missing as 1080p25 is missing in some LG TVs' EDIDs despite them supporting that mode (thanks to @3DBuff ), but that's not the case with your LG.

So I loaded your EDID into my Z9X which means if I play a particular file, my machine will act exactly the same as yours.

I tested 1080p24 and 1080p25 files and both played at 1080p at the correct frame rate.

I haven't got any 1080p30 files but have to assume they would play correctly too.

Can you upload a sample file to somewhere like Mega.nz so I can see if I can replicate with that?

15. Kaiduss

Kaiduss New Member

First of all thank you for taking the time to help. One thing I noticed is that the resolution switching is handled correctly if I pick (for example) 1080p24 HDMI mode. 1080p content plays in 1080p and when I play 2160p content, there is a pop up top left saying 3840x2160 24 Hz. So it handles switching from 1080p to 2160p but not the other way around (despite the switch resolution option being on). Additionally, the framerate always remains the same (the one picked in HDMI mode - 24 fps), even when playing 30 fps content.

As for the sample, I just downloaded this sample 1080p30 video:
    all-free-download.com/free-footage/download/colors_moving_camera_6891687.html

Once again, the output has the same resolution and framerate that I set in HDMI mode - 2160p60 when it's on auto or 1080p24 when the HDMI mode is set to that. When I manually change the HDMI mode to 1080p30, the output for this file is 1080p30, as it should be. But it doesn't switch automatically at the start of the video, so basically the switch resolution and framerate option isn't working.

Could it be that the device I got is faulty? Still time to send it back and request a refund or a new one.

16. Markswift2003

There is something odd going on with the frame rates here but I'm not getting the same results you describe.

That file is 1080p29 ie 29.970fps or more correctly, 30000/1001 fps. So it should play at 29.970fps, not 30.

With HDMI mode in Auto (4K60), using your EDID, if I set auto frame rate and resolution on, it plays incorrectly at 1080p30.

If I just set auto frame rate alone and allow the Zidoo to upscale (as I usually do) then it plays correctly at 4K29 as expected.

I don't think you can have a faulty unit - all of this is software controlled so faults like this is are incredibly unlikely to be a hardware fault.

What firmware version are you using?

17. Kaiduss

Kaiduss New Member

v6.3.42 firmware

Just tried plugging the Zidoo into another HDMI port and all of a sudden, the frame rate and resolution switches correctly. Reconnected back to the previous HDMI port and it also works correctly.

Another thing changed though - the menus are no longer in Dolby Vision and when I play SDR content, it no longer displays the VS10 Dolby Vision icon top left. That's despite me not changing any HDR settings, just simply connecting the device to another HDMI port and then back again. HDR settings are on Auto.

18. Markswift2003

Ok, that's an old firmware from Oct/Nov last year - so first thing is to update to the latest stable beta:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...-z1000-pro-uhd3000-neo-s-neo-x-release.93323/

I suspect that's why we're getting different results.

TVs can have different EDIDs on different HDMI ports and also this can be affected by settings in the TV - sometimes there is an "enhanced" or similarly worded option which can simply mean the port can be set to different HDMI versions.

Changing EDIDs can often confuse the Zidoo and settings need to be set and reset sometimes, so I guess that may be happening here..

Not sure what you mean by "the menus are no longer in Dolby Vision". Do you mean BluRay menus? If that's the case, they certainly shouldn't be in Dolby Vision if the material is SDR and HDR is set to Auto.

If you mean the Zidoo menus, then again, they should not be in Dolby Vision when HDR is set to Auto.

With HDR in Auto, SDR content should not be using the VS10 engine, it should just be in SDR. I think your box has just got a bit confused ....

19. Kaiduss

Kaiduss New Member

I mean the Zidoo menus that were in Dolby Vision before switching HDMI ports. And the the SDR content was in Dolby Vision by default too despite the HDR settings being set to auto. So yeah I guess the box got confused, used different HDR settings than those that were set and ignored the switch framerate and resolution instructions. Changed the ports and then changed them back and all of a sudden everything seems to be working as intended, finally. One potential issue (unless this is intended) I noticed is that when I play 4K DV content, it says RGB 8 Bits, which doesn't seem right? When I play 4K HDR content it says YUV 444 10 Bits.

Just to be clear - with the current HDR settings (Auto), I don't use the VS10 engine at all? When I set it to VS10 for SDR content, is it a simple straight upgrade in picture quality or can it result in some unwanted processing?

Thanks again, I will download the newest firmware too.

20. Markswift2003

8-bit RGB is correct for TV Led Dolby Vision - it uses HDMI tunneling to transport the 12-bit 4:2:2 Dolby signal in an 8-bit RGB container.

If you select HDR Auto then SDR, HDR and DV are output natively. The VS10 engine is only used for DV although it is not "processing" the content - it's just that VS10 deals with DV.

If you set VS10 for SDR this is the same as Auto with the exception that SDR content is processed by the VS10 engine so the output depends on the capabilities of the display - in your case, it will convert SDR to DV since your TV is DV capable. The conversion is technically excellent but it's up to the user to decide whether they like the look of it better than native SDR.