Is BT.2020 Flag's issue still a reality with Z9X ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Ant14, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Ant14

Ant14 New Member

Hi everyone !

I'm torned between buying a Zidoo Z9X, or a Dune HD Real Vision, for Dolby Vision purpose (I have a Shield, but not so good for that, as many know).

Considering I need Kodi / ZDMC, Z9X seems the appropriate choice, but I've heard about the BT.2020 issue, happening with TV-LED mode.

Has it been fixed ?

Thanks for any information.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

What's "the BT.2020 issue"?

3. Ant14

Ant14 New Member

Thanks for your answer.
    You've discussed about it with few people, I'm surprised you don't recall.
    The fact that it sends incorrectly a bt2020 flag with TV-LED mode, causing some color innacuracy.

4. Markswift2003

I remembered just after I asked the question ;)

It still shows up on the Vertex, but it makes no difference since the primaries are defined in the Dolby VSDB in the EDID and in Dolby Vision mode the display doesn't care.

To be honest I'm not convinced it's not a bug with the Vertex - you can send a Rec.2020 signal without an HDR SEI and the Vertex thinks it's Rec.709 - there's some screwy logic in the way the Vertex defines colour spaces.

The Dune does the same, and my Sony UHD BluRay player does exactly the same too.

5. Ant14

Ant14 New Member

Thanks, very informative :)
    So what's stated in the PDF I'm sharing is somewhat wrong, and :
    1) It doesn't affect picture quality
    2) It also affects Dune HD Real Vision ?

If so, I suppose the Z9X is still number 1, to fulfill my needs (admitting ZDMC > Tweaked Kodi, recognizing Dune drivers).

One last question, if I may.
    If I understand you correctly, TV-LED is OK, if I plan (and I do) to watch exclusively DoVi contents (using VS10 ability to "upgrade" non-DoVi contents) ?

Attached Files:

6. Markswift2003

1) No, it doesn't affect picture quality

2) Yes, the Dune does the same and, as I say, so does my Sony UHD BluRay player

The only thing the Dune does better than the Zidoo is BD menus - in every other respect, the Zidoo is superior.

IMHO ;)

Yes, TV Led is perfectly fine too and the VS10 engine does a great job converting SDR and HDR10 to DV (TV Led and Player Led).

Theoretically Player Led and TV Led should produce the same image but obviously in the real world because in each case it's a completely different bit of kit/different manufacturer processing the Dolby Vision signal, there can be differences so it's up to each user to decide which looks subjectively better (if any) in their setup.

Ant14 likes this.
  7. Ant14

Ant14 New Member

A big thanks; here I come, Zidoo's community ;)

Markswift2003 likes this.