Dolby Vision mkv files using profile 7

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Bdub48, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

Hi,

Just bought a Z9x last week and all is well except playing certain Dolby vision mkv files that ither stutter with green/red flicking at the beginning of the movie or or cut out halfway through the film using profile 7 for video. Is there a player that's out there that will be able to handle these type of files? i have a nvidia shield 19 pro and i don't seem to have theses issues with these files on it. Any help would Greatly be appreciated

Thanks
    Bdub48

2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Can you post media info of the file? Based on comments in this forum, DV problems were mostly from custom home-brew DV injection (e.g., inserting DV from web-dl into MKV from 4K disc that does not have DV).

I have over 300 DV files on my NAS. All of them were remux from disc and none of them have issue.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yep - Sounds like dodgy files again. These players have no issue with properly produced Dolby Vision files.

Bdub48 likes this.
  4. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

Hi AngruyVirginian,

Thanks for the response ok this is how i created DV mkv files it maybe/probably is wrong but it has worked still does work when playing it on my shield 19 pro through a 3rd party app.

1. i grab the smallest HDR files to merge it with the DV file from the disc and merge it into a ISO file using the txmuxer tool. I grab the smallest HDR file to save tons of space.

2. i use makemkv to create the file from the ISO file created earlier.

3. Finally i put it altogether again using mkvvtoolnix.

here's the media info from a file i did like this

Video
    ID : 1
    ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration : 2 h 23 min
    Bit rate : 43.6 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 1 600 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.296
    Stream size : 43.7 GiB (82%)
    Writing library : x265 2.5+4-b4a5bcfe29c7:[Windows][GCC 4.9.3][64 bit] 10bit
    Encoding settings : cpuid=1173503 / frame-threads=16 / numa-pools=24,24,24,24 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1600 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=3 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=1 / keyint=24 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=2 / limit-refs=3 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=2 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=3 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / analysis-reuse-mode=0 / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=16.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 / vbv-init=0.9 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=1 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=1 / chromaloc-top=2 / chromaloc-bottom=2 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,01) / max-cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / opt-qp-pps / opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr / hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-i
    Language : English
    Default : No
    Forced : No
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : PQ
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
    Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
    Original source medium : Blu-ray

i've tried using another tool to convert it to profile 8 cause have read that helps save space also but am having issues with it currently. i've read about mostly wiith FEL files.

Thanks
    Bdub48

5. Nedy71

Nedy71 New Member

I use Zidoo Z1000 Pro and have no issues whatsoever regardles of DV profile vers.

6. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

Hi Ned71

im using a z9x its the lower end of the bunch i already have a NAS setup so the pro version didn't make much sense for me to buy. All other formats for me work and its a nice picture/sound that the z9x brings. i hope i can figure this out somehow

Bdub48

7. Markswift2003

Just to point you in the right direction...
    There's your problem right there!

8. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

Where is the problem?

9. Markswift2003

From what you've said, you're taking a mismatched HDR10 layer and enhancement layer, including RPU, and using TSMuxer to combine them. This just doesn't produce a Dolby compliant file.

Although it will technically provide a video file with an RPU and even a Full Enhancement Layer, if you look at the RPU it just doesn't "fit" the video layers and causes errors in the Dolby Splitter.

If you want to reduce the size of a Dolby title then you need to extract the RPU, re-encode the H.265 HDR10 base layer and correctly recombine with the RPU and enhancement layer (if FEL) so it all matches. The only way I know to do that outside of licensed Dolby software at the moment is using Quietvoid's Dovi_Tool.

As an aside, this is also a problem with so-called Hybrid releases - they take a non-Dolby HDR10 grade and try to glue on an RPU from a streaming Profile 5 Dolby Grade and although it will create a file that produces RPU interactions, it just doesn't follow what the guy who produced the original Dolby grade intended at all - to my mind, a complete waste of time - in this case I think you're better off sticking with the HDR10 grade.

dr4go likes this.
  10. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

Markswift2003,

I'm new to this game and still learning. Thank You for the detailed explanation. The picture looks so good though in DV and will play for half the movie when it doesn't flicker or stutter especially on a OLED TV

Thanks Again

Bdub48