Casting Feature full on/off

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by HomeUse, Jul 8, 2016.

1. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

I'd like a way to full turn on/off the casting in the Zidoo X6.

The main reason I'm asking for this is because an application I would like to use (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.foxtel.Go&hl=en) seems to pick up on the fact that casting is available and then just refuses to operate.

The impact on this application would be a very small user base as it is really an Australia only thing.

Casting is feature I would rarely use and having the services running would take up some of the resources unnecessarily. I'm sure there are other benefits to having this also but I can't think of any at the moment.

Cheers,
    HomeUse

2. Harlan

Harlan Active Member

Just go to system settings and use the apps manager to disable it, e.g. :
    Screenshot_2016-07-07-21-50-57.png

3. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Harlan, I don't think HomeUse should disable all these apps.
    Please confirm if, as I remember right, only eHomeMediaCenter and HappyCast are teh "casting" ones that should be disabled.
    (some days ago I've tried to Cast from a smartphone to my X6 and re enabled both the above. But my X6 are no more seen... Strange........)

4. Harlan

Harlan Active Member

No, those are not all casting apps, but they all run and/or startup services, even when they are not being used. I either prefer to use other apps, that I've purchased and used for years, or don't need the other apps that I've disabled. There are a few others, like Update, that I've backed up and uninstalled. I only run it when I choose to unroot and install OTA updates manually. Otherwise it runs and starts a background service that I don't need on a daily basis.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  5. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

Well i tried to disable
    happycast
    Ehomemedia

Unfortunately the app.still doesn't load.
    The message that comes up is 'please turn off AllShare'

There was another app ZUICOOL and ZUICAST but i couldn't disable those.

Theres another app that's in Chinese i have no idea what it is

6. Harlan

Harlan Active Member

First of all, you don't need any casting apps if your hardware is compatible with the native Android screen casting feature. There are some DRM'd apps that run fine on Android 4 and 5.0, but refusee to run on Android 5.1 systems with those built-in Screen Casting features. All you can do in those cases is use your Quick settings and its 'more settings' feature to make sure screen casting and 'enable wireless display' are not selected or active.
    Screenshot_2016-07-13-09-27-45.png Screenshot_2016-07-13-09-27-55.png Screenshot_2016-07-13-09-32-56.png

ZuiCool is the default app launcher that runs your home screen. I use the Nova launcher on my X6 and X9. You can always use the One Key Root app with programs, like ES File Explorer's Root Explorer to backup and uninstall any pre-installed Zidoo screen casting apks, and then unroot again with the One Key Root app to try and run your DRM'd apps. Just remember to restore everything before you apply any local OTA Updates.

7. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

For the sake of simplicity i don't really want to go rooting anything or modifying too much from stock.

The app FoxtelGo is an Australian PayTV service. They let you have this app to watch tv on your phone/tablet while not at home. They don't want casting to be possible case people try putting the display in a public area. Ie illegally show the content...BS reason if you ask me.

I think I'll just give up on the app.

8. Karl Urfurt

Karl Urfurt New Member

HomeUse you give up pretty easily. I tried everything suggested by Harlan, but believe me it does NOT work to get Foxtel going.

As far as putting apps back to be able to update to the next firmware via OTA, may be true, however I download the firmware to USB and update that way, works a treat. Sure afterward you have to re-root, but that couldn't be more straight forward.

Also when i saw that update 1.0.42 had the ability to uninstall HappyCast, i did just that. However it's obviously not responsible for AllShare, as i still get Foxtel telling me to switch it off. So it must one of the things you cannot disable or uninstall yet: the "cast screen" feature in settings; and who knows some other things as well.

It's very frustrating especially since i tried to open up a specific topic on this so that all this info can be found in one place. As a new member however someone needs to approve this message/topic, but no one at Zidoo's end seems to bother with that.