Recommended Settings and other knowhow for HiFi players/playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 26, 2021.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Can't say anything about Roon but any Zidoo player supports DOP or Native DSD

2. qxy

qxy Member

Maybe it only works when using those "internal" apps,such as MP6,UAPP,hiby.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  3. qxy

qxy Member

When I replace Z9X with a raspberry pi,The DSD configuration appears while Z9X has not this option.
    IMG_20211128_003153.jpg
    IMG_20211128_003239.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

You did configure MP6 to use DSD with USB output? It is not the default.

5. qxy

qxy Member

Yes, I did.If I use zidoo remote controller app instead of roon to play DSD, everything is OK,the USB output is DoP.

6. Nice Monkey

Must be a driver issue then.

7. qxy

qxy Member

I guess Z9X doesn't pass its USB audio output parameters to roon via web interface properly,so roon converts DSD to PCM and streams to Z9X.Hope this issue will be resolved.
    IMG_20211128_224134.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  8. Mark Boddy

Mark Boddy New Member

This thread doesn't have much coverage of multi-channel music which is my passion. I hope this post helps.

Recently I received my UHD-3000 and am very happy that it has met my requirements for high quality multi-channel music.

I keep the video and network separate from the audio to improve the signal to noise ratio.
    The main HDMI output goes into the AVR (Pioneer SC LX-704) so that it is easy for my wife to use for movies or her music.
    The AVR has multi-channel outputs into my old mega-powerful multi-channel audio amp (7 channel Sony TA-DA9000ES S-Master Pro).
    For my multi-channel audio listening the Zidoo UHD-3000 audio HDMI output goes into the HDMI in on the Oppo UDP-205.
    The Oppo is configured to use one of it's ESS ES9038pro DACs for front left and right and the other ES9038pro for the surround channels.
    The high quality left and right analog rca outputs plus the surround outputs go into the second multi-channel input of the audio amp.
    The Oppo UDP-205 is configured for 0db fixed level output to give the biggest signal for the input ADCs (analog to digital converters) in the audio amp.
    The audio amp volume is set to -6db which is the highest realistic level without causing hearing damage.
    When listening to music I may set it down as low as -12db depending on my mood.
    The AVR is set to default of -10db with a maximum of 0db. For movies we normally set it to -6db to 0db depending on the content and our mood.

I have yet to integrate the subwoofer but this hasn't been such an issue as the speakers are full range and a lot of my multi-channel music is 4.0 or 5.0.
    I focussed on getting the speaker placement in the room for the best sound before bringing in the subwoofer so that the room correction has less to do.
    The room has extra rugs over the carpet and heavy furnishings and so it is not 'live'.

You may read all this and think why bother having the complexity of the AVR and the audio amp.
    I was hoping that the Pioneer SC LX-704 would be able to replace the Sony TA-DA9000ES.
    It is very good but the Sony is more powerful and produces a massive sound stage that neither the Pioneer nor a NAD T-778 could match.
    I was also hoping that the ESS ES9026pro DACs in the Pioneer would mean that I could just use the Zidoo through the Pioneer for my music.
    But using the Oppo-205 for it's DACs provides a significant improvement.
    The Pioneer is very good. So good that if they do produce a SC-LX905 I would be very tempted to try it out.

I try not to assume what will sound best when we do comparison listening tests. And I have a SPL meter to measure the actual volume.
    I have a number of recordings that I use for testing (eg. Hans Zimmer live in Prague in DTS HD-MA) that will give an emotional response when listening.
    If it can produce tears then the setup is very good.
    As a benchmark, playing Hans Zimmer Blu-Ray in a Pioneer LX500 via HDMI through the Pioneer SC-LX704 (and not using the Sony) will produce tears.
    But my configuration with the Zidoo through the Oppo and the Sony produces a stronger emotional response.
    Interesting that when using the Oppo UDP-205 instead of the Pioneer LX500 via HDMI through the Pioneer AVR, Hans Zimmer just sounds like a mess.
    No tears. The instruments just merge to produce noise and it just sounds too loud although it isn't any louder than with the LX500.
    This shows why testing is so important.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  9. Nice Monkey

Decided to give Hans Zimmer live in Prague a try if it produces tears with my modest setup. ;)
    Is there more than one BD version? Mine has as MCH only a DD True HD Atmos and no DTS track?
    My setup fails this it seems: It is fairly good for Stereo but only decent for MCH and this recording is for MCH not Stereo. No tears I am afraid. :(

My post frankly does include a lot about MCH Music albums in all formats existing but not about individual setups. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Mark Boddy likes this.
  10. muha

muha Active Member

For music I have set LFE+Main to 80hz and crossover to 40hz, and I had to adjust woofer to -3db.

rozel likes this.
  11. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

Unfortunately, most people here use their players for movies. Nice Monkey and I are among the few who play multi channel music.
    Not sure whether you have read Nice Monkey's thread about the Neo X, but he believes it delivers good sound quality.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/practical-experiences-using-the-neo-x-2nd-revision.89868/
    It would make your setup far simpler by trading the UHD-3000 for the Neo X.
    I do like Hans Zimmer Live in Prague, particularly the Lion King and Gladiator parts. It was so good that it prompted me to re-watch the Gladiator movie!
    No surprises that the Pioneer LX500 is the best and is your benchmark. I am surprised that the Oppo UDP-205 performed poorly. My benchmark is a Panasonic UB-9000 and easily beats the Zidoo UHD-3000 for sound quality for multi-channel music.

Mark Boddy likes this.
  12. Mark Boddy

Mark Boddy New Member

It is good to have you both to bounce ideas off.

I did consider the Neo-x but decided it wasn't a good fit for me.
    I like to have the main HDMI through the Pioneer AVR and the audio HDMI into the Oppo UDP-205 DAC. Neo-x only has one HDMI.
    Neo-x isn't rack width and the only hard drive slot is on the side. UHD-3000 has less height and two drive slots.

I just got the Dolby Atmos Blu Ray The World of Hans Zimmer Live Hollywood in Vienna. Hoping it will be as good.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  13. Mark Boddy

Mark Boddy New Member

The Oppo UDP-205 performs fantastically from the multi-channel rca outs when L and R are configured to use the high quality DAC board and the centre and surrounds use the other DAC.
    Either from a disc or from the Zidoo via the HDMI in.
    No idea why the audio performance via HDMI out is poor, maybe a fault with my machine or maybe a design issue. I expected it to be excellent as they put effort into anti-jitter.

14. Nice Monkey

With HDMI output only clock stability and jitter is a factor but the DAC within the AMP does the real conversion.
    UHD3000 uses the standard SOC crystal which is just regular it seems. OPPO is better and even Dune is with similar results . Only the Neo X is very audible better there.

My Onkyo RZ720 is not bad using an AKM 8 CH DAC but not top Quality. So MCH Music is definitely not top notch as 2 CH is using just the Analog AMP part combined with Neo X.

My Hans Zimmer test (in fact got hold of both BD's) failed for the MCH test (no clear staging). Plan to use the Onkyo RZ50 for MCH in the near future being my final upgrade (I think).

Oh yes using my Neo X in Stereo with the DAC output; for the first time I can directly hear the difference between a FLAC or MP3 of the same source. Lucky moved to FLAC a couple of years ago.

15. toshu

toshu Member

Speaking of MCH music, is the Z9X capable of playing those types of files with audiophile quality????

16. muha

muha Active Member

Depending if you have avr that can reproduce them. Basically for music you need AVR that will use raw signal (passthrough) and reproduce it using speaker settings that you have. Only MQA is out of the picture and I have noticed that DSD 265 is usually used to rip LPs so not really commercialy used, and above that I don't know. @Nice Monkey said thatactualy not many devices are able to reproduce DSD256 natively. Also there could be argument is MCH audiophile setup.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  17. toshu

toshu Member

For my setup, I can go out of the Z9X directly to me Anthem MRX1120, or via USB via my Topping Dx7 DAC to the Anthem.
    Other than a few videos I have tried on the Zidoo with 5.1 audio, I havent tried any MCH music (not sure if I have any! other than on discs, SACD, etc)
    How would I need to set up to try it out?

18. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

Try Arnesen Magnificat MCH 24/96 PCM (Zidoo cannot play MCH DSD) from here
    http://www.2l.no/hires/
    There is no special setup needed. Just use the HDMI feed to your MRX 1120.

Nice Monkey and muha like this.
  19. muha

muha Active Member

I ripped DVD/DTS using DVDFab. I don´t have any SACD and what I can see from quick search it is nightmare to rip. SACD iso will only play stereo track on Z9X.
    I think that, apart of backing up, good thing is that you could immediately play what you want.
    I didn´t know that MCH DSD is not working, I thought it was just limit for SACD ISO.
    And I would like to thank you for sharing and recommending Arnesen Magnificat, I started my morning coffee with this track and it was beautiful. I loved how bass was nice and subtle set on woofer, complementing vocals. I tried also stereo version in MCHStereo and it doesn't cut close.

20. Nice Monkey

A Dune does a far beter job for MCH Music than Zidoo currently. BD Pure Audio with MCH in high resolution LPCM, DD or DTS will play fine (BD Menu working), DTS-CD will play without flaws (but not gapless unless single track) and SACD MCH DSD64 will be converted to MCH PCM 24/176.4 output. Work for Zidoo to catch up here as the SOC can do it for sure. Only any disc BD/SACD-player will play everything as far as I know via HDMI or Analog (if included).

I wonder also why these MCH DSF and MCH DFF (not DSF compressed) files are not supported? Should not run into CPU limits.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021