Problem with some Blu-rays in 29 Hz (Interlace Problem)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by maglione, Nov 19, 2021.

1. maglione

maglione Member

Hi, I noticed this problem since I have the zidoo, Several blu-ray that the framerate is 29Hz, the image according to the focus and shot, you see horizontal lines, I have something wrong in the configuration? my old Dune Solo 4k works perfect.

Attached Files:

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

This is nothing to do with the frame rate - it's because the video is from an interlaced source - presumably analogue NTSC upscaled to 1080i given the frame rate.

I'm not sure what method these boxes use to deinterlace as it's not something you see very much of these days - a lot of broadcasters use interlaced video on transmit but the sources themselves are generally progressive scanned so you don't get interlacing artifacts as you see above.

I remember testing an interlaced SD video for someone recently and the Zidoo deinterlaced it correctly so this may have something to do with VS10.

Can you cut a 2 minute sample from this video using MKVToolnix and send to me via PM and I'll happily have a look.

3. maglione

maglione Member

Ok, thanks i cut a sample and send it.
    Its not a problem with vs10, i try sdr, 1080, etc, etc, and issue continue.

The videos are Police - Certifiable
    Rock & Roll Hall of fame 25 Aniversary

4. Markswift2003

Great - I'll have a look at those when you send and let you know...

5. pcristi

pcristi Active Member

@maglione
    For Android player interlace video are problematic, but can try set 29.97/59.94Hz active maybe will be better.
    Capture.jpg

6. maglione

maglione Member

I try, same issue, nothing change.
    Thanks!

7. Markswift2003

I've found a couple of 1080i videos - one at 29.97fps and one at 50fps. Both were deinterlaced correctly.

The problem seems to be that your videos are playing back at 29.97fps and because they are interlaced, you're only seeing one of the fields - the video should play back progressively at 59.94fps so that both top and bottom fields are displayed.

I really need to see one of your files to tell if it's a problem with the Zidoo or the file...

8. Markswift2003

Damn - And I thought this would be an easy one :confused:

I've got your files and they do exactly the same here with the exception that I can't even get them to play in the correct frame rate - however, I don't think that's a problem with the files..

Can I ask, which firmware are you running?

I tried the files on a Dune and got the same results (but correct frame rate!) but then tried on an old Mede8er and that deinterlaced perfectly.

At the moment I haven't got an answer for you - I can't see any differences that should matter between my 29.970 files that play fine on the Zidoo and yours that don't.

Interesting problem - You'll have to leave it with me....

9. maglione

maglione Member

Thanks, Mark, always last firmware 6.3.55.
    I notice this issue from the begining, from September/October 2020.

I repeat Dune Solo 4K works perfectly. I'm going to look at other music titles, I have about 50 but I didn't notice this problem.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  10. Markswift2003

I passed these files onto Zidoo but I think the problem is that the Realtek SOC may not support the type of interlacing that these files use.

AVC files generally support MBAFF (Macro Block Adaptive Field Encoding) which allows a kind of half progressive, half interlaced encode and these deinterlace correctly on the Zidoo and look fine.

VC-1 files such as the ones you sent use a more primitive method and I think this is the problem.

I also tried on older 1295 and 1296 boxes and got the same results so I think it may be a Realtek issue - older boxes like the Mede8er I tried use Sigma chipsets and don't have this problem.

Anyway - interesting problem and we'll see what Zidoo say about it.

xskip likes this.
  11. maglione

maglione Member

Thanks again Mark.

12. maglione

maglione Member

Mark another file, movie this time with the same issue.
    I send you the info of the blu-ray and two files in mkv.

13. Markswift2003

These are progressive scan so do not have the same issue at all - I can see why you think so, but basically these are just really bad encodes - and it looks like there's some scaling going on too - difficult to tell as they don't look like upscales, but the encoding is really bad, hence the artifacting.

14. maglione

maglione Member

Yes, I had noticed that it was progressive, so it is due to bad coding.
    Thank you!