VS10 incorrect black levels when in SDR or HDR

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mattmarsden, Jan 19, 2021.

1. burton

burton Member

Thanks Oliver,
    (less work for Mark ;) )

rozel likes this.
  2. Goliath

Goliath New Member

Hi there, sorry to be a complete noob here but is the issue described in this thread the same issue a Youtuber reported (Spare Change) in his review of the z9x where it shows the black levels looking greyish when taking a screen grab compared to the same movie scene on his Panasonic Ultra HD player?

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the unit until I saw the before/after shot compared to the Ultra HD player. It's not subtle. I'm really hoping there will be a fix for this as I want to experience the content at least on par with the disc player.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No, absolutely not. This player has image quality on a par with, if not better than any UHD BluRay player. Under normal circumstances the luminance levels and clipping are spot on.

This problem is very specific to users of either SDR only TVs, and to a certain extent, HDR only TVs only when using the VS10 engine and then only in specific circumstances dependent on EDID and the TV's performance in relation to HDMI levels.

I haven't seen said YouTuber's "review" but from what you say I'd be very confident in saying he hasn't the slightest clue of what he's talking about.

*edit*

Yeah - just watched that review.

I was right.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    vddan, Goliath and muha like this.
  4. Michael Ching

Michael Ching New Member

I notice that using Dolby Vision VS10 for HDR resulted in lost contrast and raised black. I was using RGB range 16-235. I changed it to Auto and now the PQ looks much better with improved contrast and the black level looks correct. I up my Epson PJ gamma from 0 to 1 and now the shadow details looks good without crushed or light blacks. I suspect we have to use 0-255 RGB range to get the correct level for Dolby VS10 engine. @Markswift2003, do you know the status for this issue and if Zidoo knows that 0-255 have to used with VS10 engine?

serg fedorov likes this.
  5. kenneth2281

kenneth2281 New Member

Can this be done on the zidoo to

Attached Files:

6. Markswift2003

Let's hope so :)

7. Markswift2003

Sorry - I missed this message the first time around!!

So yes, there is a workaround of sorts by setting HDMI range to 0-255 for affected displays but that's not the whole story (unaffected displays should have HDMI Range set to "Auto").

I had conversations with Zidoo a long time ago about hard coding the HDMI range to 0-255 for VS10 SDR/HDR however it was decided not to do this in case it affected displays that do not exhibit this problem.

Also VS10 SDR and VS10 HDR exhibit different levels (VS10 SDR is much worse) in affected displays, so simply expanding the HDMI range, although lowering the black floor on the signal also affects clipping so it's not the true solution.

I have EDIDs for the Epson 5040 and the 6040 and neither of these projectors are affected by this problem - what model is yours?

8. vddan

vddan Active Member

9. Michael Ching

Michael Ching New Member

Thanks @Markswift2003.
    I'm using the Epson 5040 projector, and HDMI range at Auto definitely looks correct in terms of black level in comparison to 16-245.

10. Markswift2003

Great - so the 5040 can handle selectable HDMI Ranges and so doesn't suffer from this black level problem and yes, setting HDMI Range to Auto is correct when using VS10 for HDR/SDR with your projector.

11. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

12. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

13. Markswift2003

I've just done a black and white clipping and HDMI levels comparison between Zidoo and Dune in all HDR modes.

All the numbers are EXACTLY the same for both boxes so we'll be able to compare after the update...

Note that this was done on a Samsung TV with non-selectable HDMI range which has the black level issue in VS10 SDR/HDR.

The test patterns used are from R.Masciolla and are 1000nit HDR, so white should clip at 724 in HDR and 940 in SDR. In all cases, black should clip at 64.

upload_2021-10-14_9-4-52.png

14. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello,

First Zappiti (Linux + Android), now Dune HD (Linux + Android )... We'll see if Zidoo also gives good news in the coming weeks about a possible fix...

See you soon

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    vddan likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

Let's hope so - I've been banging on about this for long enough!!

dr4go and vddan like this.
  16. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello Mark,

Yes it's true and maybe it will be possible for the Zidoo engineers to do it now...

In any case I hope for them because otherwise their box will have one or more gaps compared to their direct competitors

vddan likes this.
  17. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

If I don’t see conclusions form Mark tests I don’t believe anything especially from dune….

18. still_aimless

still_aimless New Member

I know this thread has been inactive for quite a while, but I don't see any conclusions (unless they are in a different thread)

19. Markswift2003

Covered in different threads, but yes, all fixed now and has been for a while.

still_aimless likes this.
  20. sebna

sebna Member

Hi @Markswift2003,

This thread made my head spin.

I know that you said that it has been fixed but I was wondering you had a chance to compare it to Dune's FW to confirm that both devices are now fixed and behave the same way.

This is partially in relation to our previous discussion in other threads about DMDReview channel recommending setting Dune / Zidoo / Zapp to Full HDMI range and display to Limited...

the video is from 2023 and they claim the problems needing it to be set this way still persist. Argh.

In my case I use Auto for HDR setting as my JVC does not support DV. Am I right that in that case I have no use for VS10 engine as it send DV formatted signal to JVC?

When you said it is now all fixed do you mean that there is no white and black levels clipping beyond the limitations of Realtek native small black level problem.

Am I right that when I leave HDR set to Auto and as my JVC does not work with DV that would mean that it is Realtek HDR engine that is in use for HDR content? If so what happens to black and white levels :D

Would VS10 engine be possible in my case and beneficial in any way? Does this engine only encapsulates HDR into DV container or does it do some PQ manipulation like tone mapping etc.?

Also across this thread you suggested that some displays would benefit form setting media player to Full while display to auto or limited and you were able to judge it by looking at EDID. My JVC is x7900. What would you need from me to help me decipher it all if you would be willing to look at it.

Thanks