Fix for ZDMC audio/video out of sync

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by Przem, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Przem

Przem New Member

Hi everyone – after almost a week with my new Zidoo X6 pro I decided to create this thread to help others who just like me encountered audio video synchronization issues when using ZDMC. Don’t get me wrong I think this is a great box and have a lot of potential (especially now when I’ve finally sorted out the A/V sync issues) but unfortunately it does not work as it should out of the box. Hopefully this thread will help new users to enjoy their Zidoo X6 pro without the frustration I’ve been having those last few days trying to force the A/V sync to work.

Here are some basic information about my box and how I use it :

- just after arrival my X6 was upgraded to the v1.0.39 software version using OTA and then manually (using USB) to the latest v1.0.40 version (I noticed that lately a v1.0.42 version become available but I decided not to upgrade the box just yet)

- I’m using the ZDMC to play both local and remote(Internet/SMB) video

- In order to avoid the micro judder when playing a 23.976fps video I prefer using a 24Hz refresh rate instead of the default 60Hz.

- from the beginning when trying to play a video content using ZDMC with a refresh rate different then the default 60hz I was encountering some audio/video synchronization issues (both with and without audio pass-through enabled)

After almost a week of research and multiple Zidoo forum threads behind me I finally came up with a configuration setup that allows me to both: turn the auto refresh rate option on and enjoy the 5.1 audio pass-through with no A/V sync issues. In the process I believe I’ve also discovered why there are so many conflicting reports about the A/V issue. But let me cut to the chase.

The A/V sync related options I’m currently using can be found bellow - each option is accompanied by commentary that describes the issue it’s related to:

1) Global (android) system settings:

a) System -> Settings -> Sound and notification -> Audio output -> HDMI Bitstream (although this option is used to enable the HDMI audio pass-through, I’ve used it also to fix the A/V sync issue for a 2 channel audio that occurs when auto refresh rate option of ZDMC is on – it works but only for 2 channel audio and only till you decide to push X6 into a standby mode)​

2) ZDMC settings (please note that some options might be visible only in expert mode)

a) Settings -> Video -> Playback -> Adjust display refresh rate: On start/stop (this enables the auto refresh rate mechanism that automatically matches the display refresh rate to the video framerate during the playback)​

i. Pause during refresh rate change: 7.0 seconds (this is needed to keep the A/V in sync when the refresh rate is actually changed. Please note that the value may vary depending on content)​

b) Settings -> Video -> RKMC (putting all the options except the RKCodec to off fixes the A/V sync issues that occur after awaking the X6 from standby mode – please note that this works only for videos with stereo sound path and with HDMI Bitstream set as audio output. Not really sure which option is responsible for this behavior but it’s definitively a bug that Zidoo should take into consideration when fixing the 3D video playback)​

i. Accelerate RKCodec: On

ii. Framepacking 3D: Off

iii. Force HDMI-24Hz BlueRay3D: Off

iv. Auto switch HDMI-3D Blueray3D: Off

c) Settings -> System -> Audio output

i. Enable passthrough: On (I use it to enable the 5.1 sound but I believe it might be as well disabled if stereo playback is all that is needed)​

ii. Keep audio device alive: Off (This is the setting that actually fixes the A/V sync for videos using multichannel audio pass-through. Not sure why this is not the default setting for ZDMC)​

And that’s basically it. Now you can enjoy a smooth playback of videos with different frame rate both in stereo and multichannel.

Zidoo could you please fix the following issues with your new release:

1) Audio/Video synchronization out of sync for PCM audio output (at least for the refresh rate different than 60Hz)​

2) Standby Mode messing with A/V sync (it seems RK 3D setting related as described in 2b)​

3) Change the default value of Keep audio device alive to Off​

Or at least implement the values that I provided as the default values for X6 pro ? I believe it would make the life of future x6 pro owners a lot easier and get us a step closer to making the X6 pro the box it should have been from the beginning.

And now let’s get back to the main reason why some people are experiencing the A/V issue and others don’t. I believe the situation looks more or less like this:

1) The less advanced users that are not aware of the possible 23,976 judder or more advance users that simply are not bothered by this effect are reporting no A/V sync issues as they use the default 60Hz display refresh rate for all video.​

2) The users that actually use the adjust display refresh rate option alongside audio pass-through option are reporting A/V sync issues with the 5.1 7.1 videos if they don’t use the standby option or occasional/inconsistent A/V issues for all videos If they do.​

3) The users that use the adjust display refresh rate option but don’t want/need multichannel audio and have the audio output set to the default PCM value (standard setting for someone that don’t care about audio pass-through) are reporting A/V sync issues for all videos.​

4) More advanced users that found solution for some of their specific problems try to help others but are often doomed to fail because they are not using the device in the same way as the persons they are trying to help.​

All of this can be summarized with two words – informational chaos. This thread was created from the belief that the situation can be improved and that the Zidoo X6 and ZDMC is capable of playing most if not all video content without the A/V sync issue present. Please if you still experience the A/V sync issues after applying my fix or you have more observations that can help to fix the A/V issues once and for all – post them here.

HaoSs, alitriple and Oliver70 like this.
  2. Przem

Przem New Member

ISSUE UPDATE:

Lately I got another Zidoo X6 unit delivered and I can confirmed that it also has the A/V sync issue. During the setup process however i discovered something that surprised me - THE A/V SYNC ISSUE IS SUBTITLE RELATED. So if you wasn't able to reproduce the issue try to enable the ZDMC subtitle support and check again. For now I see 3 temporary solutions:
    1) Disabling the subtitles (for me this is not an option as some of my family member don't understand english very well)
    2) Disabling the RKCodec in the Video options (cripples the X6 decoding capabilities - so also a no go)
    3) Use the configuration that I came up with in the post above.
    Zidoo can you please confirm the A/V sync issue as a RKCodec BUG (subtitle display issue) and start working on a fix ? I really don't think that I got two defective unites in a row - well unless your quality control really sucks.

3. cobra78

cobra78 Member

The A/V sync issues and Netflix/Plex audio out of sync is mainly a Lollipop problem.
    Other RK3368 devices with Marshmallow firmware have none of these audio out of sync issues since Marshmallow has a very different audio and video framework.

4. nice159

nice159 Active Member

Maybe they are working hard on M, since there is nothing new for months... :D

5. Przem

Przem New Member

Although it would be great to have a Marshmallow on board I doubt if it will resolve the A/V sync. I've done some more tests today and I'm pretty sure this is not a Lollipop problem. I base this claim on a fact that I was not able to reproduce the issue with the RK codec off. If that really was a Lollipop fault I should have experience the A/V sync issues even with the RK codec disabled.

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i have x6 pro when it was on firmare 1.0.29 or something. they did allot of changes to fix the sync problem. cant remember what firmware was the one where they fixed it. 1.0.39 ? anyway. the fix only worked after deleting data for zdmc ( full reset the app ) . thats all i did. update. wipe data. zdmc perfect. no more sync problems :)

7. s_janssen

s_janssen New Member

Did not work for me. But i discovered it is linked to subtitles. Subtitles ON: audio goes slowly oout of sync. Subtitles OFF: audio is fine

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

try a reflash if you have OTG cable. i tested this and i dont have sync problems with subtitle on. Do you have any custom subtitle options ON in zdmc ? ( there is some options for subtitles that put more strain on the CPU if turned on )

9. s_janssen

s_janssen New Member

1.0.42 update solved it completely

10. Przem

Przem New Member

I've checked and the issue is still there on v1.0.42 - although it happens less frequent. HaoSs the issue on v1.0.40 also does not occur each time a video is played - the same video sometimes plays fine and sometimes gets the a/v sync issue. I was trying to find a pattern here but with no luck. To reproduce it start the ZDMC then put the x6 into standby mode wait thew minutes and after powering it back on try playing a video with subtitles. For me this (in most cases) results in a/v out of sync whenever the RK codec and the adjust display refresh rate is on.
    PS. For video I use the Specto plugin (Genesis fork) or SMB, for subtitles I use the Opensubtitles plugin - although I don't think it matters.

11. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah. i also had to reset ZDMC and the sync is f**ked up again. not sure what settings i had last time, tried different combinations, no luck. i had to disabled RK codec also

12. Domengo

Domengo New Member

GREAT. I solved my out od sync issues....very happy of this x6 now....thanks a lot of this solution even if not elegant becouse of lollipop issues....
    Genius!

13. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i will add this to the unofficial guide list

14. Migeye

Migeye Member

Is it possible to use a wrapper? Hd audio works with zdmc but forwarding, going to a certain point within kodi etc is very buggy, the internal player does this much better.

15. Migeye

Migeye Member

Sorry, wrong place

16. gdanie

gdanie New Member

hi, with the new Kodi17 I can not see most of the settings.
    I am forced to anticipate the sound of 0.45 seconds each time.
    I noticed that with the video player I have no problem, even with subtitles.

17. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

zdmc and kodi17 are different on this SOC. zdmc has allot of custom code for hardware decoding and refresh rate switching. this guide is not for kodi 17