Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. What does the LG C1 lack that you can't use that as a monitor?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, those settings still hold up.

First thing to note is that you won't benefit from HDR10+ since that's just HDR10 with additional metadata and that does need an HDR10+ display to benefit from.

However, there are several neat tricks you can do with VS10 depending how customisable settings are with your projector.

You can certainly map everything (including DV) to HDR10 with VS10 (or Realtek) but if your projector allows you to force HDR then you can actually output BT.2020 Dolby Vision to it using VS10 using the Custom EDID function - this allows native Dolby Vision to be viewed and also SDR/HDR is mapped to Dolby Vision which looks great!

My advice - get one.

Can't comment on 3D I'm afraid - I've never used it.

3. hdmkv

hdmkv Active Member Beta test group

Thanks. My PJ (or any Xiaomi-variant UST) can't force HDR as far as I'm aware. But, VS10 alone seems to make Z9X worth it.

4. Sampinto89

Sampinto89 Member

For those with LG OLEDs, specifically the CX and C1... Are you using Cinema or Cinema Home (User) when viewing Dolby Vision? I haven't professionally calibrated anything yet so I just need the setting that would be most accurate at present. Thanks...

Also, for calibration did you use Calman? And did you use LG patterns instead?

5. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I have an LG CX. I use either Cinema or Cinema Home (user) depending on how it looks with the source. I constantly fiddle to get best overall picture trying to keep deep blacks without crush and details without raised blacks. Not had it calibrated or looked much at patterns. I'm not a purist but set it to please me!

Sampinto89 likes this.
  6. Stefano C

Stefano C Member

Hi, I haven't calibrated my CX sorry... usueally I use Filmaker Mode for SDR/HDR and Cinema for DOLBY VISION...usually I see movies at night with low light... I have not a zidoo z9x so I haven't tried my tv settings with this media player...but I think soon I will because I'm thinking to buy it

Sampinto89 likes this.
  7. Sampinto89

Sampinto89 Member

Thanks for the reply my friends! I will calibrate my cx after a few hundred hours, but from what I am hearing the colors are pretty accurate out of the box.

8. Sampinto89

Sampinto89 Member

Which setting do you prefer for dolby vision? Player led or TV led?

I set HDR to Auto because I don't like converting stuff: if it's HDR, let it pass through as HDR. ::)

9. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I have DV to the default setting of Player Led.

I have HDR set to play SDR using the VS10 engine as I prefer it. Sometimes I set HDR to use VS10 if HDR looks a bit dark - usually a HDR TV d/l. TBH I just mess around until it looks good to me.

Sampinto89 likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

How do you do that? Custom EDID?

You might be better off selecting "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For all content)" or "Dolby Vision Low Latency (LLDV, YUV422, 12bit)" (both settings will be the same if you select "Priority LLDV (Player Led)" in "Dolby Vision Compatible Mode") and just letting VS10 output everything in Dolby Vision.

I've never seen any HDR (or SDR) content that doesn't look good with that mode - and then hopefully you won't have to mess with settings...

11. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

No - not explained myself clearly enough. I mean that in Quick Settings under 'Display > HDR' I don't use Auto but set it to 'Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For SDR content)'

Markswift2003 likes this.
  12. Good morning everyone and good morning Mark ....... I apologize if I constantly disturb you, also, I believe that this post of mine is completely OT in this discussion, possibly if, Mark, we want to talk about it in private, let me know and it will be done immediately. I have this problem: sometimes on my Zidoo Z9x, connected via SMB to a QNAP NAS, there are video and audio interruptions that last a fraction of a second which, however, can be seen at the video level and above all, at the audio level, the twitterers, squeak and it doesn't do him any good. I would ask you a huge favor (I have already opened discussions on this but I have not come to the end of anything). Isn't it that the SMB connection is less performing than the NFS? So the outages are due to a bit / rate bottleneck? If so, I tried, as far as I understand, to enable the sharing of the "Multimedia" folder (where all the contents are) in NFS with the Zidoo: there is nothing to do, it does not see the NAS in NFS. The NAS in question is the 4-bay Qnap T-431 which is now out of production ... If you could "study the manual a little bit," wouldn't you be able to help me establish this connection that I have never been able to use from the very beginning? I thank you with my heart in any case, let me know what you think and then let's see what to do. I wish you all a good day, Andrea. PS .: due to hdmi version of the amp (Anthem MRX 700), I am forced to connect it for sound to the Zidoo, via optical cable, otherwise I lose the HDR if I pass the video from Anthem ....... Thanks so much. .........

13. Markswift2003

Hi Andrea - I don't think I can be a great help as far as the QNAP goes I'm afraid.

I use Western Digital NAS drives with SMB and have never had a single issue with network transfers, even with early firmware.

In my experience, SMB works perfectly but it seems that particular network configurations do seem to cause issues.

I used to use NFS a couple of years ago but after some playback issues I switched to SMB - I seem to remember this was with a Z9S but it may have been earlier with an X9S.

I think this needs someone with a QNAP to go through the NFS settings with you.

However, one thing concerns me - you describe a loud audio squeak when this happens - is that correct? This would be unusual for a network issue - it's not impossible, but that sounds more like a glitch in the file issue rather than a network problem. Does it happen with all files or just particular ones?

andreamusso.am likes this.
  14. In the meantime, thank you very much for everything ........ as for another member who has QNAP, we have already tried but, he has parameters that I don't have or vice versa ........ so nothing ... As for the squeak of the tweeters, it always occurs when there is an interruption of both audio and video flow. To make you understand, if I pause a video, I have to MUTE the Ampli, as I resume playback, you hear the screech. (This always) ....... Now, I still haven't figured out if it's a particular movie, or the same file, also because sometimes it behaves in one way, sometimes in another. For example, when the NAS cleans up the file system (a sort of defragmentation), the problem does not occur for a long time, so I thought of an interruption of a fraction of a second that temporarily blocks the vision due to a drop of frame / rate ........ Now I will try to pay more attention to these details and let's see ..... PS .: Talking about something else, do you remember that I told you that I always had to make a backup resume to see the contents? Well, out of the blue, with the latest Zidoo firmware, you see the contents right away. The beauty is that when I put the latest Firmware, the Zidoo, it didn't even ask me for the credentials to connect with the NAS .......... I don't understand anything anymore ......
    EDIT:
    Furthermore, the squeal, I know it has nothing to do with the network, is a consequence of the interruption of the flow that the Zidoo reproduces ...

15. Markswift2003

Right that squeak must be something that the Anthem doesn't like about the way audio is terminated on the optical input then. I've heard something similar with glitches in files in the past.

That's very weird about the firmware, but whatever happened, that's great news :)

16. Hi Mark, I spoke too soon, in the sense that since last night, the Zidoo no longer sees content and does not even "load" the backup of the video library ....... It's quite frustrating ......... I had abandoned the HTPC (which had superior video and audio performance) just to avoid these problems but, it seems that this is not the case. Now, I will try to redo the libraries, if it doesn't work, I reset the .img firmware and see what happens ........... I am disconsolate ............ Have a good evening, Andrea.

17. Markswift2003

There's just got to be something wrong in the setup of your NAS drive, but without a QNAP in front of me I have no idea what.

18. Thank you Mark, patience, I will continue like this .......... Good evening, Andrea.

19. Joe C

Joe C Member

I have a QNAP - a TVS-h1288X - and had very similar symptoms to you, Andrea, with NFS (although I don't have the audio squawk issue)

I'm a 20 year+ IT professional froma networking background, and am running enterprise level Cisco gear with a 10Gb backbone, and the NAS connected in at 10Gb as well. I know there are no issues, and I can access my media using NFS from any number of other players without issue - but my Z1000 Pro stutters.

In a peak of frustration, I tried using SMB and it's been absolutely rock solid for me since. I can't explain it, there's a higher overhead using SMB so would expect the results to be the other way round. The only thing I can think of is that there is something a bit flakey in this Realtek chipset - had the same thing with a recent Dune

pcristi and andreamusso.am like this.
  20. Xavierl

Xavierl New Member

I don't have a QNAP, but I can simply say that I have no problems with my USB hard drives to an Intel NUC (under Linux) that does SMB server. I read files of all sizes including UHD ISOs...