Beta version v6.3.12 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000 Discussion

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Jun 16, 2021.

1. paresh

paresh Member

Hi!
    @Markswift2003, @Nice Monkey I own a 55" Samsung 4K UHD 2014 model with no HDR10 or DV support & just upgraded to FW 6.3.12. This is where Zidoo (I own a Z9x) is supposed to come to rescue to owners of such TV sets to bring into play the missing features (HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision). Unfortunately, we can enforce only DV without selecting any provided EDID settings, DV works in both the instances with or without EDID activation, but when it comes to HDR variants one must select a compatible EDID for the HDR to kick in. Now, everything works fine with DV options but in the HDR mode, output from 2160p gets downgraded to 1080p with a very washed out picture quality , not only that, the entire GUI gets affected with the same dull look. No matter whichever combination of settings I opt for nothing helps, a conundrum I haven't been able to find an answer to since the time I've bought it. I also second that the trailers have once again stopped working except for a couple of movies in my collection, like, Godzilla Vs Kong & Avatar. Do you think it is possible/advisable to revert back to HT v4.0.69 for the trailers to work again ? For you guys' reference I've attached a few screenshots & my saved EDID file. Could you please help me in resolving this problem, I shall be much grateful to you for your astute replies. With every new FW update I was hoping my above mentioned problem to vanish away but nothing so far. Thanks for your relentless good work guys, members like you are the backbone of this forum. Take care & stay safe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  2. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Which' videos do seem troublesome for Zidoo concerning handling image-based subtitles, I might add. Even with latest firmware, still I encounter issues with standard 1920x1080p authored PGS streams not being properly displayed/overlayed on such videos. Where, according to human's media-logics, the meaning of how is more than obvious.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not really sure what you're trying to achieve - your Samsung is a 300MHz max HDMI 1.4 display that does not support HDR in any way so there's no point in trying to enable HDR in EDID because although that will trick the Zidoo into outputting HDR, your display has no way to display it properly and so the image will be washed out (as you describe).

Leave custom EDID switched off and try these settings:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution

Display/HDR: Auto
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV422 12BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT

This will allow 4k 300MHz only.

paresh likes this.
  4. Markswift2003

I think it would be possible to crop the video to an non standard aspect ratio but keep the PGS images at 16:9 which I would expect to cause all sorts of issues!!

5. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

I think that the HT apk coming with this firmware uses the translations of the june 10th version in the dedicated thread (so not with the latest optimizations done by translators since this release). For the Quick Settings, nothing has been implemented about the translations.

6. vddan

vddan Active Member

However the translation of the menus in French was rather correct !!

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I would totally agree with you, Mark. I can imagine there'd always be such odd resolutions and/or aspect ratios, that even the most skookum players would scratch behind the ears as to how to handle subtitles.

But, as an example to what I think should be no issue, please look at these two cases.

We all know this one. Suppose Zidoo is playing a "standard" 1920x800 (cropped, square pixeled) video. Muxed with it is a well authored 1920x1080 PGS stream with a bottom offset of 140 (as you'll find them on a lot of BD's and UHD-BD's). Zidoo flawlessly overlays the 1920x1080 SUP over the 1920x800 video, so that the text is undistorted and displayed at the proper position: just above the bottom margin of the video itself. Or, putting it differently, just above the (added) black bars.

Now, in the second case, take a video of eg. 1920x1024. Square pixeled, so just two bars of - just for the numbers - ((1080-1024):2) = 28 pixels were cropped of top and bottom.
    Zidoo perfectly can play this video (without stretching) with two black bars added, to a 1920x1080 output. So the Zidoo "understands" the meaning of this 1920x1026 video perfectly, wouldn't you agree?
    Because of this proper interpretation, you would then also expect, when well authored 1920x1080 SUPs (so, in this case, with a bottom offset of 28) are muxed into the mkv, Zidoo would understand how the overlay should be handled, just as in the "1920x800" case above.
    Here it's getting jiffy, IMHO. Because unfortionally, Zidoo does not overlay the subtitles in the proper way. Instead, IMO it scales & overlays the 1920x1080 subtitle picture into and within 1920x1026 (video res), with the nasty consequence that the subtitles appear displayed too high. And vertically ugly squished.
    I think Zidoo has some interpretation to do here.

8. paresh

paresh Member

@Markswift2003, I was trying to play 4K movies with HDR on a non HDR display but as per your diagnosis it is not possible on the kind of TV panel I own. My key point & query was, if I can enforce & play movies with DV with or without EDID why can't we do the same with HDR on a non DV & non HDR display? Moreover, any suggestion about how to make the trailers to work again or do we again have to wait for the next FW update? Thanks for your valuable advice, as always.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  9. Markswift2003

Can you send any samples to look at?

I'm not sure how the scaling works - whether only specific aspect ratios are supported (in which case 2.35, 2.39, 2.40 and 1.85 would be used. Possibly 2.20 to cope with Nolan's madness) But 1920x1024 (1.875:1) is non standard so again, maybe that's why. But cropping to 1.85:1 (or 1.875) is a bit pointless - might as well stay at 1.78:1

10. Markswift2003

You're playing DV through VS10 in SDR (since that's all your display supports) and you can either choose to do the same with HDR10 or let the Realtek engine do it (with HDR Auto).

I use local trailers (movieName.trailer.ext).

I could see this issue coming - relying on online resources is always fraught with problems, which is why I asked for a "Local Trailers Only" function a couple of firmwares ago. It also allows you to chose the best trailer from any source.

I'm sure online trailers will get fixed in good time though.

paresh likes this.
  11. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

No OTA update? Even with beta checked, nothing available.

Need to download?

12. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

Online trailers are NOT working again with this fw and we must wait for a new one??? o_O

cuong, thaworn R and Bill-Z9X like this.
  13. Markswift2003

Not a clue :)

14. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

By all means. Please have some patience. I'll have to chop a small piece of an existing video with PGS or create a test file. Which I can do this weekend, me guess.
    Can you tell me how big max size file is allowed to send in PM or upload in a thread?

15. Hello everyone and hello Mark .... Frankly, I haven't seen the 6.3.7 Firmware put online but, since it seems to have been withdrawn, I'm talking about 6.3.12. I would like to ask a dispassionate question: I am with 6.2.3, should I update with this new 6.3.12 or, wait for the next one? I have read that many complain about this, about that, so if I can afford this question to you who are avant-garde and honest, I am sure that you will advise me the best. Thanks in advance, best regards, Andrea.

16. Markswift2003

Nice to see you back again - to answer your question - there's probably no harm in updating, but if your current version is working for you then there is no real need to upgrade.

andreamusso.am likes this.
  17. My pleasure to be among you again ........ Thank you for the suggestion, now, I put myself at the window for a while to see what happens ........ You know my problems and they have nothing to do with the news brought to the update, so it is likely that I will wait for the next one (if it is up to it) ... Thanks a lot again, Andrea.

18. darkeyes909

darkeyes909 Active Member

on my Sony the Dolby vision icon wouldn't show for Loki 4k

19. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

They are working for me! Did you turn off the switch at the back after updating?

20. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Finally folder.jpg is also found playing music straight from Media Center. :)

Looks and sounds more stable too including 24-bit HD audio.
    Good release for music player.

pcristi likes this.