Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Always up for a challenge ;)

1. At the moment, DV ISO (and BDMV) will only play the HDR10 layer in native HDR10. The engineers are working on this at the moment. Don't forget the black issue only relates to VS10 HDR and VS10 SDR. VS10 DV/LLDV is not affected by it.

2. As I say, levels are correct if outputing DV/LLDV but if you want to view HDR10+ you need to use a custom HDR10+ (no DV) EDID.

3. Profile 5 and LLDV amount to the same thing, so no raised blacks.

4. Yes, exactly.

The EDID option provides far more flexibility than just fixed options - what if you want to mess with audio modes? What if you have cable issues and want to restrict bandwidth?

As I say, if you want to ignore the DV metadata and use HDR10(+) it's easy - just use my HDR10+ EDID and leave Custom EDID on. If you want to go back to DV it's as easy as turning Custom EDID off again.

I'm currently putting together the matrix I talked about earlier, I'm just figuring out how to present it so it makes the most sense. This will let you see the effect of every HDR mode on black level (and conversion quality) so you can decide which to use to maximise your display's ability.

But there are 17 HDR settings over 3 displays and 4 HDR sources (I've restricted it to SDR, HDR, DV P7 and DV P5) so it's a bit complicated!

vddan, vadergr and xskip like this.
  2. Markswift2003

Yes, @pcristi sent me a message a couple of days ago pointing out that if there are multiple audio tracks, DTS-HD will only play the DTS core. I wasn't aware of this and have sent a message and sample file to the engineers.

I can't comment on music playback as I never use it for that - I use Linn DS and Squeezebox for music.

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

That's brilliant Mark - thank you. I need simple things, I mean yesterday, after swapping my HDD in my Z1000 Pro, I could not understand why I wasn't getting the "New Device Connected" after unmounting the existing HDD and inserting the alternative one. Seriously it was a full hour of fiddling switching on and off etc before I realised I was inserting the alternative HDD the wrong way round! Deary me, as has been said already, early onset is beckoning me thinks lol! Can't understand though why the door of the drive bay closed with it being the wrong way round - that's my mitigation anyway :confused:

4. Markswift2003

lol :confused:

You're right though - it should be designed not to close!!

5. I'm using the OP's settings and I find that 1080p movies are output by the Z9X at 2160p, leading me to believe they're upscaled by the Zidoo rather than by the TV. Is there a way to deactivate this? I find the SDR 1080p image to be rather grainy and not very pleasing overall, so I would like to compare it with the scaling handled by the TV.

6. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Make sure you have change resolution and framrate on.

7. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

@mirror or @Markswift2003 or anyone, any idea why the new firmware v6.3.12 is not available via OTA? The download server is too slow for me and keep failing.

Mabon likes this.
  8. Markswift2003

Give me a minute and I'll upload to Mega

ammar11 likes this.
  9. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

10. OlivierQC

but you don't have to hurry, it seems that some points are not corrected even though they are on the changelog

11. ammar11

Thank you so much Mark, I don’t know why it’s so slow for me others were saying they got good speed. The last couple of times it only took 2 minutes via OTA.

12. ammar11

13. Markswift2003

I had to VPN to Hong Kong to get it with any speed at all!

Here's a link on Mega:

https://mega.nz/file/hOQXwQaT#uBrrklIU4wbQTA1LFmwS5_raO-ubZIpjeTfwwnu3JfU

I'm sure @McBluna will post mirror links on his site shortly...

ammar11 likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Ha - I see Olivier beat me to it ;)

15. OlivierQC

I would like to know if people here receive FW beta before they are available to check if the fixes indicated in the changelog are correctly resolved?

16. OlivierQC

yes but only for the Z9X and Z1000 PRO

17. OlivierQC

personally I have the Beta tester logo but I don't receive anything since a long time, however it would be a pleasure for me to check some points which are in my field of competence.

By the way, I had asked several days ago that they remove this logo which is useless but no news.

18. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

ammar11 and Markswift2003 like this.
  19. ammar11

Thanks Mark! That's a good idea, maybe I can try VPN next time. :)

Also thanks to everyone for rehosting the firmware, this board rocks!

PS: I've yet to install it though, waiting for feedbacks. But I might give in and do it anyway, happened before lol.

20. JOE9007

JOE9007 Member

Hi guys.
    I have this problem: after buying these two DVDs:

-Music for Montserrat 720x576 25i
    -The Paris Concert For Amnesty International (Eagle Vision) 720x576 25i

I created a mkv file to save on zidoo with makemkv.
    The result is that the image is very ugly and all jerky.
    If, on the other hand, I let oppo 203 read the cd, everything is fine and the image is beautiful.
    I did several tests and different setups but the zidoo can't read these two titles well.
    I also tried to do two ISO but the result is the same: very bad image, blurry and jerky.
    If it's a firmware bug I hope they fix it.
    Otherwise I ask for advice, even if I have already done several tests without any success.
    Thank you
    Joe

p.s do I have to set makemkv in some way to ensure that the image reproduced by zidoo is beautiful and does not jerk ?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021