MakeMKV Help!

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, May 2, 2021.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Is there anything special I need to do through MakeMKV for it to rip the dolby vision track? I'm trying to rip Fifth Element from a Bluray Folder.

After this I'm doing The Lord of the rings, Is there any way to join disc 1 and disk 2 through MakeMKV? Or do I have to use MKVToolNix after MakeMKV?

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

It appears it will do it - https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23306

3. Netmask

I suspect you will have to append the disc 1 and 2 and as long as there isn't a change in any of the parameters between the discs. What I generally do is strip out all unnecessary tracks, like alternative languages and subs as well as sound tracks I don't need, so I end up with basically just the video, one subtitle and one language plus chapters... One would have a better chance of appending under those conditions.

4. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Nothing special to set, just select the video, audio and desired subtitle tracks, select output folder and click Make MKV button.

I use MKVToolNix to combine, works like a charm. The breaks are always at a fade out, so even if there is a split-second transition break (there's not), the transition is still seamless.

Did it for The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Lawrence of Arabia (have not watched this in full).

5. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Thanks! I'm actually in the process of ripping the second disc now. What do I do with the chapters on disc 2 of tlotr. There named the same as disc 1.

6. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I never did anything with it, but I guess it will be continued sequentially. The naming will have to be edited manually if you want to change it I think, use gMKVExtractGUI to extract the chapters but I don't know how to put it back together though.

7. Netmask

The chapters will normally be a XML file so you have to combine them and edit the timings for the second movie as the times will both start at the beginning of the file. Then once you have a corrected XML file, probably do it in Excel, you can then insert the file via mkvtoolnix. Just look for chapters located on the right panel. Sometimes chapters are text files.

8. Netmask

Just use chapterizer and insert chapters every 5 minutes and edit them later to the timings you want.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  9. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I'd like to mention a nice tool that will allow you doing almost anything with chapterfiles that you can think of. It's called chapterEditor and can be downloaded here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/chapterEditor

In my experience, MKVToolnix does auto-shift timestamps of appended videos.