Default subtitles

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Glorioso, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Glorioso

Glorioso Member

Hi, I'm having some trouble with the default subtitles settings.

I'm on the last beta and I have the Subtitle selected to Portuguese and Online Subtitle too. The online search is working fine, when I make a search the results return Portuguese subtitles, but when I'm playing a MKV file with included subtitles it starts with the first subtitle on the list, usually English.

Any help with these one?

THX

2. Eleonor

Eleonor Active Member

I don't know if I understand you well...
    But if you have .srt subtitles next to the movie

Batman.mkv
    Batman.srt

select External in the menu

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Glorioso likes this.
  3. Glorioso

Glorioso Member

The SRT are embembed in the MKV and with language tags.

4. Eleonor

Eleonor Active Member

Hmm....
    Maybe run the MkvToolNix GUI program and see if the subtitles are not forced

Glorioso likes this.
  5. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Run the MKV file through MKVToolNix and either untick the subs you don't want and remux (doesn't do anything to quality and is quite quick) or select the Portuguese and tick the box to make it the default and even forced if you wish. Then remux as before. I remove all the subs I don't need as a matter of course. If the embedded sub happens to be a SDH style with all the action also shown I run the MKV file through Subtitles Edit and select "remove text for the hearing impaired" Then save as whatever.srt and put that file alongside the mkv file in their folder.

Glorioso likes this.
  6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Follow Up: Generally if it's an English film the English subtitle will be the default, so most media players will automatically select that one when the user turns on the subs, if it's French then the French sub will be made the default. Even if you have selected a particular language as your preferred in the media player, depending on how the subtitles have been named and processed within the MKV file structure it's quite likely the media player setting could be ignored. So it's best to "get into the file" and make your language the default. This means when you physically turn on the subs via your remote your language or the default will be shown.

Glorioso likes this.
  7. Glorioso

Glorioso Member

Thanks, I'll open it with MKVTooolNIX to check, but it's a lot of work to remux each file just for that. There can be another problem, the file contains 2 Portuguese tagged subtitles, a Brazilian one and a Portuguese one. I have to make some experiences with other similar files to check it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

With MKVToolnix you can set a default subtitle track. A player should prefer playing that track, ignoring its basic subtitle settings.
    You can set this "Default track" flag before muxing. Or you can use the tool's header editor to set it. The latter would not require a remux, BTW.

However. I don't know what Zidoo device you have, but my experience with the Z9X is that it's quite erratic at honouring that flag. For both srt's and PGS streams.
    I don't remember on what version firmware, but waayy earlier it strangely enough seemed to have been fixed. However on latest FW 6.2.5 I can confirm that the issues at honouring the default sub track aren't sorted yet. And indeed, it sometimes seems like the Zidoo just picks the first sub from the list.
    Add this to your initial issue that the Zidoo doesn't play the subtitle with its preferred language set, I'd say that there's some work to do alltogether concerning subtitle playback.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Glorioso likes this.
  9. Edworld

Edworld Member

This is exactly what I described in my recent post, Zidoo displays the first subtitle on the list. In a way, it is sad that this issues has been around for so long and not fixed.

Glorioso likes this.