Pink Screen, Then No image on Auto Setting

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Don't know what they did, but I now can't play anything on any setting except LLDV. Not exactly what I signed up for. I made a thread about the pink screen when I used the VS10 Engine, and was told that was weird cause my EDID Supports everything. Then My issue was basically ignored, and I was told to use LLDV. Now I can't use anything but LLDV.

2. Nicholas Hewitt

I'm using a TCL TV! I don't know why this thread is being ignored! I might just send my device back. Honestly, it's more of a headache than it's worth. You'd think that zidoo being a Chinese company, would at least have it working on a TV from the largest Chinese TV manufacturer.

3. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

I have a TCL 65x10 TV and everything is fine with me, maybe it's a matter of settings? either flaws or tv or zidoo damage ???

4. Nicholas Hewitt

I've tried all different setting combos, and nothing has worked. It try's to use the player dolby vision as well as the tv's at the same time when I have it set to only use the tv's. It's funny cause it's when the first player dv led comes on that its a pink screen, then the TV dolby vision logo comes on, and it looks fine, but blinks a few times, then goes to a black screen.

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Tried turning OFF auto-framerate and Scaling kept at 100%?

6. Nicholas Hewitt

Scaling? I have auto framerate and auto Resolution off right now. But I've tried it on, and off, and the pink screen remains.

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Going back to our previous discussion, despite the fact that your EDID says that it supports TV led Dolby Vision, the evidence would seem to indicate that it doesn't.

In that case you will have to set Priority LLDV (this is why that setting is there)

Not the first time I've seen discrepancies in EDIDs.

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Frankly is presume that was tried first as TV-led and/or Player-led support is the most common DV incompatibility even with fairly recent TV's?

9. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

I can't speak for the OP but from my experience, this has absolutely nothing to do with the problem. Player lead or TV lead Dolby Vison no longer works. HDR10 no longer works using a TCL 5 series. Regardless of LLDV setting, DV and HDR10 worked up to FW 6.1.15. The firmwares after that broke all HDR on my set. Granted, the HDR on this set isn't great anyways. I use it as one of the two sets to test the Z9X with. What ever changed after 6.1.15 broke all my TCL HDR and completely unaffected my LG. This isn't a misreporting of EDID by TCL but a misreading on the Z9X. The TV no longer has any HDR. You can force HDR10 and DV as functional again using the Sony 800H EDID setting.

And before anyone else suggests the cable for the 1000 time, the cable worked just fine for firmwares before 6.1.15. It hasn't changed. Cables aren't the solution to everything. When I reported problems with my LG. People dug their heels in about cabling. I knew the cable was fine in that case too and had to wait until zidoo fixed their problem for the problem to go away. I can test the cable with my receiver being it has a HDMI cable tester onboard.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  10. Random_Vibration

Never heard TCL 65x10 until now. What country is this? 65x10 looks similar to 2020 TCL 6 series in the USA.

11. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

X10 i believe is sold mainly in Europe, and it’s an Android based unit.

The Roku based TV’s are for sale mainly in the US.

For the TS, may I suggest updating the TV firmware, if not already done... just a suggestion...

12. Markswift2003

Very interesting - You're right about the cables - The cable has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on its ability to pass HDR in whatever flavour. An HDMI cable from the dawn of time will pass HDR whether HDR10, DV or HLG - Quality aside (because there are undoubtedly crap cables out there), the only issue cabling will throw up is bandwidth which has many manifestations, but lack of HDR isn't one of them.

Can you elaborate on your comment "You can force HDR10 and DV as functional again using the Sony 800H EDID setting" because according to the TCL EDID I looked at, that should not happen but it may help us tie down the problem.

13. Random_Vibration

My TCL got updated on the 15th of this month with an update dated on the 15th. Zidoo firmwares >= 6.1.15 were broken before the update and were broken afterwards.

14. Random_Vibration

My TCL got updated on the 15th of this month with an update dated on the 15th. Zidoo firmwares >= 6.1.15 were broken before the update and were broken afterwards.
    With the current firmware, if I go into the EDID settings, turn in on, select the Sony 800H preset in the interface, DV and HDR10 files will play in Dolby Vision and HDR10 respectively. In 6.1.15 FW and earlier, DV and HDR10 worked off the EDID sent from the TV during the HDMI handshaking process. Firmwares I tried afterwards, the same files play but not in HDR10 and DV. The indicators from the Z9X and TV set do not trigger. The videos look like HD in brightness and color.

15. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

16. Markswift2003

Thanks for the confirmation - It's very interesting that both HDR10 and DV don't trigger - that kind of tells me that either there's something about the TCL EDID the player doesn't like or the EDID delivery.

The only TCL EDID I have on hand is from @Nicholas Hewitt and that's the 55R617-CA and I can't see anything untoward in there - the DV block is correct as are the HDR block, HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.* blocks...

As an experiment, try downloading your EDID from the TV (turn Custom EDID off first) then uploading that TCL EDID back as a Custom EDID and see if that works - Since the Sony EDID works, this will tell us whether it's the EDID or the delivery mechanism that's causing the problem.

17. Nicholas Hewitt

Everything was working fine for me 3 updates ago. My TV is always up to date, and I have a TCL 6Series

18. Nicholas Hewitt

Weird cause it did 3 updates ago. I'm getting both dolby vision Symbles coming on both after one another. The first one from the player turns everything pink, then the tv one comes on, and everything looks fine, but it blinks out a couple of times then goes to a black screen.

Edit: oops Actually it was the VS10 Engine that was working 3 updates ago. Weird cause When I set my tv to LLDV My Tv's Dolby Vision LED Comes on and stays on till I play something, then the player's VS10 Dolby Vision logo appears. It works fine with LLDV, but the VS10 Engine settings were working fine 3 or 4 updates ago, then they added all these new ones, and now none of them work.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  19. Nicholas Hewitt

I use to be able to prioritize the TV LED so when I play DV content it would use my TV's Dolby Vision. Now when I do that it still uses the player. I know my TV'S DV works withe the Z9X Cause I used to use it. So I don't know why you're saying my tv does not support it.

20. Markswift2003

Let's take this step by step by step:

Set HDR to "Auto" and Dolby Vision Compatible Mode to "Priority LLDV(PlayerLed)"

1. What mode is the GUI displayed in according to the TV - SDR, HDR, DV, LLDV?

2. Play an SDR file - what mode does it play in?

3. Play an HDR file - what mode does it play in?

4. Play a compatible DV file - what mode does it play in?

Now do exactly the same but change Compatible Mode to "Priority standard DV(TV Led)" leaving HDR on "Auto".