Dolby Vision FEL Playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleonor

Eleonor Active Member

awaiting :)

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You're absolutely right, the FEL video essence isn't irrelevant, but it's still only a difference signal and it is only the difference between a 12-bit and 10-bit encode.

If there's macroblocking in the HDR10 grade (and don't forget, that's part of the Dolby Vision mastering process not a separate process and where the vast majority of the video information lies) then that's just very very poorly encoded in the first place.

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Will be extremely interesting to see DV with BD ISO and BD Folder as converting these to MKV is not my favorite piece of cake. ;)
    Frankly I am impressed as I did not expect this to ever come. Will compare with an OPPO on a friend's fancy Panasonic DV & HDR10+ capable TV and let know our mutual experience.

Might even swap my HDR10 only TV for that one day if it really impresses me. :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

This is excellent News and if UHD BD ISO and BDMV DV are supported too for both MEL 7 and MEL 8 titles, then that'll be superb!

Thank you

5. Markswift2003

Think you mean MEL 7 & FEL 7...

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Arggghhh - no my mistake - I didn't mean that either lol. It would help a great deal if you could say which titles are covered by this - Mel / FEL and/or 7's/8's please.

7. Markswift2003

This is in relation to adding Profile 7 FEL support to the already available Profile 7 MEL support.

Profile 8 does not have an enhancement layer, it's just Base Layer and Reference Processing Unit (BL+RPU).

8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

9. Markswift2003

Out of interest, I just tried Profile 4 FEL (dvhe.04.06 BL+EL+RPU FEL) and that plays in DV now too!

10. afss

afss Active Member

Awesome news on FEL MKV support !! Great job Zidoo !!

11. Markswift2003

And just to add - DV support in ISO has been added today!!

boolian, Bello78 and DennisTheMenace like this.
  12. afss

afss Active Member

Wow, it just gets better and better :):)

13. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

That's really good news, so we have to wait a few hours?

14. Markswift2003

I'm sure it won't be long....

15. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

About 76 min issue.
    We also have some progress, which should be updated in later versions

16. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

This is another good news! When you mean later versions then not in this upcoming release I guess.

17. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

This is probably one of those key steps forward since introduction of X9S ;)

18. Indie Jones

Indie Jones New Member

Yes you're right but its seems that many DV titles are encoded this way. One of the most obvious examples of this is the end credits of Power Rangers where the whiteness of the titles is encoded in the FEL rather than the HDR10 layer. I really don't know why they did it that way but in HDR10 (even using the DV RPU) the titles are a very dull grey.

19. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

well now I can't sleep at night, waiting impatiently for new firmware ;)

20. Alexander Klinsky

Alexander Klinsky New Member

will the new firmware be released only for z9x in the first step (as usual) or the complete set of new devices ?

kr, alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.