Z9X - SMB playback issues while streaming from NAS

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by matty2k, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Is there any improvement?

My a few friens had to sell their devices because of this problem.

2. Tawatchai Wog

Tawatchai Wog New Member

3. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

4. Tawatchai Wog

Tawatchai Wog New Member

I am using it now and I have no symptoms. If it still is, it may be for some other reason.

5. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

I have same symptoms and my 3 friends have.
    Maybe we have broken z9x’s.

6. jmmy

jmmy New Member

Hello,
    Although I have already asked about this and communicated my experience, I am going to expand my case.
    For some time now, I experience a degradation in the viewing experience: stuttering.
    At first it happened with Dolvy Vision files, then with 4k and now with 1080p. The difference is the interval, more frequent in DV, less in 4k and small stops in 1080p.
    I have changed HDMI cables, network. I have returned to factory settings, downgrade and reinstall new firmware, ...
    I have enabled and disabled "less buffer ....".
    I have activated "maximun perfomance".

I have a Synology connected to the Z9X (network) and this one still AVR (Yamaha) (HDMI) and this a SONY with DV (HDMI).
    I have tried communication with SMB (I have tried all combinations SMB1, 2, 3, ...) and with NFS: there is no difference.

The funny thing is that it does it with files that I have seen perfectly before, even DV, with the same system without any changes. What I say, a demotion.
    I don't know if a degradation in the internal buffer of the Z9X or in the communication protocols.

Anyway, I am going to wait for a new FW with the hope that it is some software fixable with FW. And that it does not take so long,

I hope this will help.
    All the best

7. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

If you have the samba server option enabled on Z9x disable it during video playback. I still think there is a link between Samba server causing freezes with the Samba client on some configurations.

8. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

So how can some people watch without any problems?
    I've never had any problems before on z9s / shield tv / mi box with same system.

Note: samba server is deactive on zidoo

9. jmmy

jmmy New Member

Thank you.
    I have not activated that option, it should not be activated unless it comes this way by default.
    I will verify it.
    All the best

10. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Was just one possible cause there are likely lots more. Current state of firmware is buggy and each firmware they fix one thing break something that was working before. That being said I don't get freezes anymore since 6.1.05.

11. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

Strange since 6.1.0.3 I do not have any problems at all anymore......
    Try to use NFS instead as a workaround.

12. qqbbbpp

qqbbbpp New Member

I got my Z9X today to replace Z9S. I have updated to v6.2.5 firmware first before setting up. The issue I got is it cannot mount the NFS shares. It only shows "Unknown error". Z9S before it has no issue. Does anybody has a similar problem?

13. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

Nope, but you can add the shares manually like nfs://IP or hostname /SharedFolder into Favourites

14. qqbbbpp

qqbbbpp New Member

The implementation seems buggy but somehow works. What I did is add the NFS share in sources. Z9X will prompt invalid during scanning. Then just power cycle, go back to sources and it can already scan the share.

15. qqbbbpp

qqbbbpp New Member

Suddenly my NFS sources at HomeTheater 4 are invalid. However, the NFS shares can be accessed at Media Browser. These things did not happen in Z9S. Z9X still has a lot of firmware bugs.

16. TehHT

TehHT New Member

I connected my Z9X via the Gigabit port to a switch which goes to a SMB server on a win10 pc. I notice that the orange light is on while at the switch it is the green light is on. I experienced some hiccups when playing largest 4k movies. How to check whether the line is ruining 100 or gigabit ?

17. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

An orange light on the Ethernet port on the Z9X denotes a gigabit connection.

Switches tend to either show orange for 100 base-T and green for gigabit or one light for 100 base-T and two for gigabit, but colours vary. Yours must be green for gigabit since the Zidoo is connected by gigabit.

18. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

same here, still issues in HT with smb 4K mkv. As soon as i go into filemanager, and use NFS, the playback is ok

using latest fw, feed is a syno running DSM 7.

19. BdoUK

BdoUK New Member

Has anyone had any luck getting this fully resolved while using a Synology NAS to serve full 4K files to the Zidoo Z9X? I've been struggling to get consistent playback since getting my Zidoo a few weeks ago. I'm on the latest beta firmware and have a full gigabit home network. Additional information below:

Synology 1019+ NAS (gigabit connection)
    Anthem AVM70 Processor
    JVC RS-1100 Projector

All my files are direct rips via MakeMKV from my UHD collection, so no additional compression, just the full movie files from the discs.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

-On latest beta firmware
    -Switched HDMI ports on the Anthem
    -Confirmed streaming same files via AppleTV (Infuse) works without issue
    -Switched HDMI cable and ethernet cables to those used by AppleTV
    -Disabled SMB1 via Synology
    -Rebooted Synology NAS
    -Replaced original Z9X with a second one, same issues
    -Disabled "Less Buffer" setting in Developer Tools
    -Have switched SMB server on and off, same result
    -Full factory reset
    -Also tried NFS, same issues as with SMB
    -Speed tests using Chrome (shows not close to gigabit connection speed)

Any suggestions on additional steps to try? I'm starting to run out of ideas.

20. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Anybody with NAS issues should try to assign new IP to Zidoo and SMB server. I had long delays accessing files and slow speeds between two Z9X. New set IP's solved the issue for me. Full story here.