Why the SATA port?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by marko001, Oct 11, 2016.

1. marko001

marko001 New Member

Guys,
    which is, in your opini0n, the reason of the SATA port? I was looking on Amazon a case for my slim 2.5 HDD to use as NAS but I only find USB3 cases. And I see no reason to connect the HDD with the flat cable provided with X9S without a covering chassis.
    But probably I'm wrong and there must be an obvious reason I can't see.
    Thanks for your help,
    Marco

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It is cheaper to build than including support for an Internal HDD and also avoids the need for a fan (and noise complaints next).
    I am re-using an old USB-2 Aluminum casing/enclosure with the tail cut off using a saw. Works nice as it functions as a Docking Station that way and it stays very cool too (=easy swappable HDD). The included PSU of 3A is great for this setup.

Have still an old Eminent EM7385 media player with also an external SATA port (plus an Internal HDD). Still the best media player thus far for me to play DVD, BD, 3D-BD from folder or ISO. The Zidoo X9S was ordered to finally replace that one.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah. using a HDD with the sata port is ugly. but its more of a practical thing. having the HDD inside the box will make the box more expensive, hoter and bigger. and not all want to use a HDD. So best of both worlds is having the port on the side ( to bad is not back side. but well, we can't have all ports on the back ) . I also have a external HDD port on my pc. so transfering BIG files from PC to HDD to box its also a option for me.

jma64 likes this.
  4. Techead

Techead Member

5. asianjabba

asianjabba New Member

okay i see you should use an esata and a hard drive or an enclosure...but why not just use the USB 3.0? i notice this is an extra option for the x9s and i would love to take advantage of that port, but what are the advantages to using that sata 3.0 port compared to the usb 3.0 port...? any tips and info is much appreciated

6. Techead

Techead Member

Speed is a factor SATA is still faster the USB.

With this connector, you can plugin in any SATA device like a DVD, Blu-ray drive or an SSD drive and you don't need an enclosure.

If the SATA option is not for you then wait for the X8 to be out. It's the same box without the SATA connection.

jma64 likes this.
  7. marko001

marko001 New Member

I know as well SATA is faster than USB2/3.
    Do you know if there is any SATA 2 SATA case on sale trough Amazon just to put inside a 2.5HD and connect it with the provided cable?

8. Techead

Techead Member

Not that I know of.
    All enclosers look to be ESATA I have not seen anything with SATA.
    So pick up any ESATA HHD encloser and use the ESATA to SATA cable linked above.
    If you are hooking up an SSD drive to the unit you really don't need an encloser just plug it in with the cable that came with the unit.

9. Nice Monkey

May I contradict the previous statements specifically for media players. In fact by multiple measurements (and confirmations) USB-3 can be faster connecting the same high speed HDD than using it SATA Internal attached. This using "Primitive FTPD App" for testing. Via USB-3 it reaches almost wire-speed gigabit and is 10%-20% faster than via SATA using a Himedia Q10 Pro media player.
    Will do the same tests when I get my Zidoo X9S finally.

On a high performance PC did local copy tests with a SSD and then SATA and USB-3 produce identical throughput as the HDD itself is the clear common limiting factor. USB-3.1 has even a double throughput compared with USB-3 but is irrelevant here (potentially a slightly lower claim on processing power).

USB-2 is a no brainer that tops out somewhere at 25 - 30 MByte/sec.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  10. Nice Monkey

E-SATA-to-SATA cables are available on various websites (Techead supplied link). With this you can connect the SATA port on X9S to an external enclosure with typically E-SATA. The supplied cable is then not used. The enclosure will be powered externally obviously.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  11. asianjabba

asianjabba New Member

thanks for all the responses - lots of good info here. I noticed that on some website reviews i see people using the sata 3.0 to just plug in a regular internal hard drive. I guess you can plug in an internal hard drive (looks a little ugly though) and then on top of that, plug in a separate usb 3.0 external into the 3.0. i guess it's just massive storage options or something. What i plan to do is just plug in a 4tb hard drive i have lying around and try to hide it somewhere so it's not too noticeable. But thanks for the replies. Especially the tidbit about usb 3.0 being as fast as a plugged in Sata III.

12. Prafull

Prafull New Member

Dear Friends ! I need help ! I am a new member and got X9s. Hooked SATA 2.5 Disk to it with some file. I do not know now how to access this SATA drive from my laptop. I can see this in X9S and watch movies in it. whenever i have to transfer file i need to take out SATA drive from X9s put casing with USB and then connect to laptop to transfer files. Is this the right way? or there is some other way where i do not need to take out SATA drive out of cable from Zidoo X9s? Sorry for my bad technical language.

13. DribbleTool

DribbleTool Member

Would a blu ray drive work with the x9s?

14. afss

afss Active Member

I have connected a bluray drive to the X9S but I could not find the drive mapped anywhere - this is a key requirement for me as I have several MKV based movies recorded on BD-R media. Please, appreciate any suggestions.