Cause of USB disconnection and other instabilities

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by x9suser, Mar 13, 2021.

1. x9suser

x9suser Member

This must be what caused all the grief to my Zidoo Z9S.

It's dead now after playing less than an hour of MP3.

I bought this Z9S 2 years ago, but I only used it specifically for 3D movies. As such I only used it a total of less than 30 times. I used my older media player X9S all the time and it is still stable until today.

From the very beginning the Z9S has been unstable on and off, disconnecting from my USB while playing movies. Had to reset to get it connected again.

About 7 mths back I updated to 2.3.33 fw (I think), and the disconnections became more frequent . I stopped using it then. Now after so many mths of inactivity, I decided to play some mp3 from USB . The usb drive got disconnected after a few mins. I reset and tried again. After playing I stopped and called it a day. Next day when I turned the set on, it wouldn't boot. I tried the on/off switch a few times and suddenly it turned on.

But after subsequent uses and disconnections, it finally died.

So I unscrewed the unit and looked inside and this was what I found.

One of the Chips, labeled 'Fn Link' had some brown marks. Closer inspection showed the legs and surroundings had deformed, no longer level. It's like the chip had overheated and burned. So it probably this was the cause of all the problems.

Refer to pics.

IMG_20210313_110137.jpg IMG_20210313_110450.jpg

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That's the wireless LAN chip and that brown mark just looks like a dollop of the glue that holds the antenna connectors down...

The SMD soldering, although a bit off kilter, looks fine.

3. x9suser

x9suser Member

It's completely dead, so tell me why ? No more powering on, no led , nothing. Just an expensive paperweight now.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If the LED doesn't come on, the first thing I'd do is check the voltage of the power supply.

(and just to be sure, you did either connect the power switch back up or jumper the switch connectors on the motherboard didn't you? :) )

5. x9suser

x9suser Member

I assure you I did everything. I used the X9S power supply which has the same rating 12v 3A. No life.

And by the way, the unit was completely dead before I opened it up. The first thing I checked was the power connector inside if it was secure .

I used the pin reset and hold power on thing with recovery .img. Nothing came up.

It's confirmed dead.

6. x9suser

x9suser Member

And I don't think it's bad soldering that you mentioned before. Aren't these boards factory machine soldered ?

The areas around the legs on all sides looks slightly deformed, more like due to heat.

7. catorcio

catorcio Member

Couldn't it have an interrupted fuse?