VS10 incorrect black levels when in SDR or HDR

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mattmarsden, Jan 19, 2021.

1. InNursery

InNursery New Member

Does the last firmware give us some improvement? (nothing was mentionned in the update log )

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Sorry - no change yet.

3. tosh123

tosh123 Member

I use color range from 0-256 and colors of vivid - thats looking good on my deep color TV. I know, that 0-256 is only for monitors and not TV but that cured the missing blacks until a clean solution

Whitfield and Markswift2003 like this.
  4. Markswift2003

You my friend may have given us a clue as to what the problem is!

In earlier firmware the quantisation range (0-255, 16-235) was completely screwed up. That got fixed, but I now wonder if they didn't fix it for the VS10 engine and only Realtek...

By the way, if you use VS10, the HDR>SDR Gamma Settings (Bright, Vivid, Movie Mode) have no effect - they only apply to the Realtek engine.

Whitfield likes this.
  5. tosh123

tosh123 Member

OK, thanx, i have switched a lot on the settings to get des VS10 running, because the pictures is a lot better than with the realtek engine (on my non-HDR-TV), good to know that that settings are ignored. But the "trick" with 0-256 works :)

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Hey, this could be revealing indeed. I would have never thought of this trick.
    Good for you both, @tosh123 and @Markswift2003 ! [thumbs up]
    Curious to Zidoo's response.

7. Markswift2003

I can't take any credit for this one, but @tosh123 is right - it makes a big difference, although it looks like black clip is a bit worse - I'll test this properly later.

8. vddan

vddan Active Member

Good .... you gave me the idea to test the calibration with the 0-255 color space !!
    Well that's not bad at all, because with 16-235 test charts, I was able to calibrate the blacks and whites more easily !!
    So for the moment, while waiting for a correction on the 16-235, I stay with this calibration of which I am less obliged to lower the brightness (I have recovered about 8 notches of brightness!).

9. vddan

vddan Active Member

In the end, after a day of testing in 0-255, I returned to my settings in 16-235 ........... which in the end suits me better!
    While waiting for a correction from Zidoo!

10. Markswift2003

Which HDR mode are you using?

11. vddan

vddan Active Member

-Dolby Vision VS10 Engine.
    -Optimize EDID analysis in LLDV mode.

12. Markswift2003

Not sure what that means?

And is it an SDR, HDR or DV display - just curious.

13. vddan

vddan Active Member

Not easy to explain my installation because I go through my OPPO 203, which accepts SDR-HDR-DV and then depending on my broadcaster: 1) in 8K 2) false 4K non HDR projo, I make the settings accordingly!
    I just noticed that for the same settings of the OPPO, the image was more 'dynamic' when leaving the Zidoo in 16-235.
    It's just my visual appreciation!;)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  14. burton

burton Member

Hi everybody.

Just bought my new Z9x and i am a bit confused with all the posts about the vs10 engine ....

I have a sony tv (capable of dv and hdr) but because in my chain there is an old marantz receiver that does not support hdr passhtrough,
    i use vs10 for all hdr contnent.Do i have a loss in picture quality?Also, is it strange that the receiver allows the vs10 passthrough or not?(if the bluray is dolby vision the dv logo appears, if it hdr it does not(when i have the hdr in auto))

Thankyou very much

15. Markswift2003

Depends what your settings are and what the combined TV/Amp EDID says...

With the Zidoo connected to the amp and TV and both switched on can you do the following:

Goto Settings/Display/EDID and save the EDID to a USB stick

Change the name of the file from edid.bin to edid.txt and upload here.

The Sony will have a full DV/HDR EDID but we need to see what the amp does to it to see what the best settings are.

16. burton

burton Member

ok here it is
    Thank you

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  17. Markswift2003

Can you tell me what you have set in Settings/Display/HDR?

18. burton

burton Member

Vs10 for hdr , dv

19. Markswift2003

And if you play an HDR movie, what mode does the TV play in?

Same question for a DV movie.

20. burton

burton Member

Vs10 dolby vision logo for hdr
    Dolby vision logo for dv