Z9X - SMB playback issues while streaming from NAS

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by matty2k, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Ithink jellyfish test just 60 seconds. You should watch a movie to end
    I still have freezes. I think it is not about bitrate. Beceause sometimes it freeze watch a tv shows or 4k remux..

2. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

May I suggest that you turn OFF the HT4 folder auto-scanning. See if it helps...

This helped me somewhat when I was on 90G firmware. I still keep it OFF on 105G firmware.

While on 90G, since I shut off HT4 folder scanning, I have no stutter with normal content. Still early days with 105G, so far no stutter with normal content.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  3. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

I just watched Perfect Planet UHD HDR on the Dune and it started to stutter twice during an episode which makes me think something is not perfectly ok in my network after all. I don't watch that many files that stretch my network capabilities so it's not always easily noticed. I'm seriously thinking of getting a one drivebay NAS connected to my access point with an SSD inside and returning the Dune. Something like a Synology NAS DS 118 with 1.4Ghz quadcore processor and 1GB of ram with a SATA SSD should perfectly be able to stream everything without a hiccup? I've been reading forums and reviews for hours but most people want to transcode with a NAS which is something I'll never use. For streaming up to 200 Mbps it should be perfectly fine I guess?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  4. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

If I would suspect my network not to be right, first thing I'd do is get confirmation on whether that's the case or not.
    It can take quite some effort and prolly will be a pita. But when you do find a culprit, you'll be glad as hell you investigated.
    I've been there.

5. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

I turn off automatic updating source and automatic scan storage. (but I dont want to turn off automatic updating storage :(

Now I will watch Elsium uhd remux.

I share results.

boxerfan likes this.
  6. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

I just installed the NAS on the same location where the Zidoo is. I get bursts up to 130 MB/s in writing. I really don't know what to think anymore. I'm just hoping that with a NAS connected to the same switch as the Zidoo all my problems will be history.

7. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

So despite the network maxing out I've set up two SMB shares in the Zidoo. One from the computer and one from the new NAS. Both shares exhibit the same behaviour now. There is still buffering going on. The NAS is connected to the gigabit access point where the Zidoo is connected. Since I still have the Dune I'll test to see what its behaviour is with the NAS.

8. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Nice work, SolarGlider. Try to play the Perfect Planet again on the Dune and see if it stutters again.
    Should you still run into issues, two things:
    Is this an additional accesspoint with built in router (so, next to your ISP's modem/router)? If so, there could be a setup issue.
    Secondly, you may wanna try to disconnect both NAS and Zidoo from the AP and hook them up to a standalone switch instead. Built-in switches (can) behave differently than standalones.

For testing purposes I run a lot on SMB lately. Eventhough I don't reach the full 1000 Mbit speed during copy/paste, all high bitrate videos run smoothly, even the 400mb jellyfish video.
    Though, as I don't have the Perfect Planet videos, I can't test endured SMB playback stability with these bitrates.
    BTW, I'm on firmware 6.1.0.5

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  9. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

For me SMB and NFS playback works now smooth since 6.0.98 as well in 6.1.0.3 and 6.1.0.5

10. Derek Watson

Derek Watson New Member

Perfect Planet and all titles now play flawlessly over both SMB and NFS in both recent builds 6.1.0.3 and 6.1.0.5 - great work the engineering team

11. Just purchased the Z9X again to test with.. I want this player to work 100% as I think it's that good..

Unlike previous firmwares, I now was able to watch a full 4k UHD HDR Atmos 4k UHD backup, with not one stutter over SMB wired..

Damn... Very nice...

I did have resereved buffers turn off, as when I was testing the jellyfish files, it seemed to give me higher bitrate tests..

I was able to play to 250Mbsperfect, then 300 and 400 Mbs would be 50/50 if it would play the whole test file with or without stutter.. It was random... Sometimes it made it, other times it would stutter like crazy..

Even had this with 250Mbs, but seems WAY more stable now..

Well Done to Zidoo Team Indeed

Just need maybe little more fine tuning I think, and to get the washed out HDR comverted with Dolby Vision profile...

12. Gaël D

Gaël D New Member

Good morning All,
    I am a new users of Zidoo and have the Z1000Pro - I used the recommanded settings which I have seen in this forum and it play well at 4k 23p. I am on a Sony AG9 with the Zidoo directly connected to it - Audio is back to the amplifier via the ARC ... I am still experiencing stutter over SMB3 or NFS from a Synology NAS on 4k M2ts files with higher bitrate. My files are M2TS which I can watch flawless from Zappiti 4k Pro or Computer but with Z1000Pro under explorer or using Kodi I still have stutter when playing 4k (ex Star Wars Last Jedi during the fight with the red guards for example I can ending up between no stutters or few ...).
    I've check the NAS and network switch and couldn't identify any bottleneck it is well under used and router have identified no network failure such as invalid packet.... I've tried NFS settings with 4k or 8k or more and couldn't see any difference either ... Same with SMB, it connect well with SMB3 but get the same result.
    Last firmware 6.1.0.5 haven't solve the issue for me ...
    Any recommandations would be welcome :) Any buffer settings or setting in the Zidoo I should try to modify ?
    Thank you
    G

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  13. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

I yesterday installed the NAS and the Zidoo on a gigabit switch directly and the stutter problems are still there. I'm in the latest firmware 6.1.0.5.
    Tonight I'll hook up the Dune to the switch to see if it fares better. The NAS is configured to share with a minimum of SMB 2 to a max of SMB 3.

Since the write speeds are wonderful I can't understand why reading at a much lower bitrate seems the issue here.

14. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

I watched and I saw a lot of microshutters :(
    (no freezes)

15. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Yes, it can be confusing. I have grown confident that high copy/paste speeds are no guarantee for playback stability.
    I recently became aware of this "Playback with less reserved buffers" setting in the Realtek developer options. On my Z9X it is enabled. Maybe it helps out to check and disable it? If I interpret this function correctly, when disabled, the Z9X would use larger videobuffers. I can imagine this to be helpful solving network-playback hickups.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  16. Gaël D

Gaël D New Member

Thank you Whitfield, I will also give a try later on tonight and I will revert back if it helps for the Z1000Pro

17. Derek Watson

Derek Watson New Member

Is this Elysium your own rip or sourced from elsewhere? I only ask as I just watched my own rip from start to finish without a hitch. I am watching on a JVC NX7 pj - HDR10 only.

18. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

after a week testing with several UHD rips ( HD is all fine ) i can't say anything is 'solved' on the SMB side. NFS is still fine. I also noticed that the LAN light indicates a complete freeze ( green light keeps burning for 5 seconds or more ) when the picture freeze is happening. And i'm not sure where the problem is..i can't be image processing since NFS works. So it must be the samba part that is wonky?

19. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

You reboot the box frequently enough? I have the impression the latest FW has some background processes eating up resources. Happens to me on Z9X and UHD3000 and see it with remote control response and playing HD Audio (play video from SATA HDD).

Whitfield likes this.
  20. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I installed this "System Monitor Float Free" app that was mentioned somewhere on these forums. I indeed noticed the CPU cores going up from 500 MHz to 1.3GHz for a few seconds. I did not monitor while playing a movie though.

First question: Would 1.3GHz be the max speed of the CPU?
    Secondly, is there a more in-depth monitor app one could install, that would state in realtime how much resources are used by exactly what processes? Of course this tool should not be too system-heavy itself.