Z9X - SMB playback issues while streaming from NAS

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by matty2k, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

The issue with NFS share import in MusicPlayer seems to be solved with this .97 update. That's nice.

I normally don't do SMB, but for you who want to know:
    Only having time to quick & dirty test SMB, so far I found no stuttering issues with high bitrate videos. Even the 400mb jellyfish played back smoothly.
    Off course I would not know SMB performance during more endurance-testing.

2. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

I cannot test them since I only have a full HD Pioneer Kuro......But Bitrate during transport keeps the same.. my 4K contents from NAS play without stutter now.

3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Thank you, Whitfield

it's a good start for those who have SMB problems.

4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Is this issue to do with the time it takes to Scrape for large NFS shares?

Thanks

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Well, to be precise, not the time it would take. My guess is the time it takes is the same.
    The Z9X now continues scanning without freezing up. So, the NFS share isn't left useless anymore.
    Of course, it's a shame that (still) none of the tags of the audiofiles are read and implemented to the info in the artist & album screens. But this is an old issue though & non-network related, IMO.

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks. I probably have mis-read your post but are you suggesting that the Zidoo damages the NFS Share, in my case, on my NAS?

I haven't tried to scrape as yet - I have over 3 Tb of audio files.

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I understand your point. But no, Z9X does not do anything bad to the share - as source - itself.

With previous firmware, during Music Player's scan of an added "big" NFS share (audiofiles only), Z9X freezed and needed rebooting.
    After reboot, going back to music player, the share - as a library import - was stated invalid and couldn't be accessed.
    But the share as-is was untouched and normally accessible/usable in the explorer. So, it was a MP-import issue.

Again, I would not know MP's behaviour on import of bigger NFS shares, but then with subfolders for artist, album etc.

rozel likes this.
  8. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Can those with Dolby vision TV's and the new firmware turn on Dolby vision compatible mode toggle and test for the black screen issue on Dolby vision content and menu screens as shown in video.

9. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

and where can you find this modified version of kodi shield with DV support ??

10. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

So the optimization for dolby vision playback concerns impacted the network management when playing video, so it may well be related to memory management. Since 0.97 fixes the network problem, it reintroduces dolby vision reading bugs. So I remain on my impression of a problem related to memory management (2 GB) and caching.

11. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

The stuttering issue did start (for me) in the newer firmware with the Dolby vision fixes and the introduction of DV compatible mode so it could well be related to bugs in that code. However the stutters existed even when playing back normal HDR content or 3D content and not utilising the VS10 engine so it's strange. The regression on DV playback in this latest firmware does coincide with the reduction in stutters but this could still be unrelated as they could be working on both in the last 7 builds.

I think this DV black screen problem is a sync error or HDCP negotiation bug the log shows some stuff about HDCP errors. If I keep starting a DV file 9 times out of 10 it will be black screen then 1 time it will playback and play to the end without issue.

12. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

weird because me HDCP is disabled, and I still had these black screen problems.
    I think there is still a stability problem because bugs appear and disappear randomly on the same firmware, there is a basic problem. Parameters skip etc.

After an update the player may not read the DVs then after a few days it starts to read them and vice versa.

My opinion is that the staff is working on too many things at the same time and the base is not finalized.

I do not question their work, my impression is that it works on too many diverse resolutions at the same time, this before having finalized the base software of operation.

This is undoubtedly due to pressure from us users and the too rapid exit of the device with the announcement of the start of everything that this device could do.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  13. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

So your having black screen problems like shown in my video only with the latest firmware? Are you using DV standard or LLDV?

14. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

no I encountered black screen problem before version 0.66, with 0.90 the concerns I had (I am in VS10 SDR) is network problem (stuttering), and on 4k series no HDR or I had a blackscreen.
    Same on a x265 HD series where I had a black screen and I would go back to HDR = Auto for it to work.
    Then after some restart (2 or 3 days) well by returning to HDR = VS10 SDR it is well read in dolby vision without black screen, but the subtitles bug, they are invisible or we just see the green or white pixelated outline

15. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

I didn't really test DV before 0.90 when they introduced compatible mode and it worked wonderfully for me. The only issue was then the new stuttering. I agree it is strange that the issues occur somewhat randomly and inconsistently even on same firmware.

16. Derek Watson

Derek Watson New Member

I doubt my face doesn't fit - been trying to get onto it since early yesterday - @mirror

Markswift2003 likes this.
  17. SolarGlider

SolarGlider Member

I'm downloading the firmware right now. Didn't have time until this afternoon. I'll give my impressions soon.

Sigh, it still glitches, my very early impression is that it glitches slightly less but between 1 and 4 minutes I had two interruptions. There doesn't seem to be much improvement (in my case) at all.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  18. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yeah I doubt it too ;)

Derek Watson likes this.
  19. Derek Watson

Derek Watson New Member

Thanks mate :)

20. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'd drop an email - stuff can get lost on here...

Derek Watson likes this.