Zidoo Z10Pro vs. M9702V03

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Bill-Z9X, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

Screenshots comparison between Zidoo Z10Pro (V6.0.90) and M9702V3. I have 4K Blu-Ray from this movie.
    Zidoo Z10 Pro (V6.0.90) HDR on Auto. Playback of a FEL to MEL converted MKV file.
    M9702 V3, playback from an ISO file
    Both devices connected directly to the Panasonic tx-65gzw1004, same HDMI cable. Oppo on HDMI1 and Zidoo on HDMI2. Both inputs are set to BT.2020 and full HDMI bandwidth. I took pictures with the Samsung S10.

Some people say Oppo or Clone provide better picture quality, look at the pictures and make your own opinion ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Xiro

Xiro New Member

thanks for this magnificent comparison, in the photos I like HDMI 2 better, it has a bit more brightness and contrast, so the zidoo is a great player

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Yes thanks for this - I nearly bought an M9702V3 - glad I didn't. May I ask what film this is please?

4. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Are you using Oppo clone in TV led or player led Dolby Vision mode?
    It makes all the difference on LG OLED, in player led mode the picture will look almost identical to player led on Zidoo which is what your pics seem to confirm.

5. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

Rambo: Last Blood - Sly's grandfather goes crazy;)

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Cheers - much appreciated

7. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I have Dolby Vision mode on Auto. Does it really make a difference?
    I will test this in the next few days.

8. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

it does look z10 has higher contrast and more shadow detail. not familiar with this movie myself. my fav test movies are the martian and the greatest showman. the former is a few years old but the color of mars surface n sky gradient are quite challenging. the later is mastered to 1000 nits and color exceeds rec 709. if you have them, it will be great to take a look at these 2 too. chk out hdtvtest's channel to see the scenes of interest.

ps, i found that pics from phones are often enhanced automatically, so might be if you can add a few words n thoughts, that will be great.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  9. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Z9X also support TV LED.

10. DaMacFunkin

Yes, especially with an LG oled, everybody with an Oppo clone or original and an LG oled prefers TV led, how does the player (player led) know the tvs peak brightness? So how can it map to the best of the sets abilities?
    With my older C7 I used to use the Oppos VS10 engine and TV led out put on HDR10 files, the result was really good, a lot better than Native HDR10 on the C7, the C9 is a different beast.

11. DaMacFunkin

It does if you enable it, defaults to player led on Auto which is how the OP had it set.
    This is where the Zidoo will fall down with Fel titles as it has no EL to pass.

12. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

@kfpanda
    No enhancers are activated on the Samsung S10. Recordings for both variants were made under the same conditions. That's how I saw it with my eyes.
    I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2K camera, next time I'll use it.
    With the test I wanted to see / show whether there is a difference between DV double layer on a "reference" device and an ISO-> FEL-> MEL converted video on the Zidoo. And also generally between M9702 and Zidoo.
    I don't have Martians. Greatest Showman, a good film, I have it as a 4k disc, I'll see if I can make a few comparative pictures in the next days.

@DaMacFunkin
    I'll on the next test switch DV setting to TV LED

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  13. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Can we agree on naming conventions for DV here please. It is already confusing enough as it is.
    I presume that with traditional DV "Player led" is meant and LLDV is meant with "TV led"?
    LED stands for something else, I presume just the verb led is meant.

14. DaMacFunkin

No, LLDV is player led.
    Traditional DV is TV led.

15. DaMacFunkin

Hi, can you try and use the recommended settings for the Oppo?
    Vincent(and other reviewers) have always recommended leaving everything on factory settings (Auto) except for ‘source direct’ and player led Dolby Vision.

Most people seem to start dialling in 12bit. Rec2020, forcing the output to 4K, changing the Chroma sampling, etc, and they shouldn’t, thank you.

16. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Thanks @DaMacFunkin ;)
    It is very good to know that LLDV is being processed by the player instead of the TV making potentially a PQ difference. Why not calling it DV versus LLDV as everybody else does (even in Zidoo settings)? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  17. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I have most of the settings on Auto, I'll send Screenschots later

18. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

personally, tv-led and player-led is easier for me to understand. led=lead=doing the work. when i first came across dv, i couldnt grasp what low latency is supposed to mean. i supposed if they call it later latency, it would make sense to me. in any case, either is fine w me now. you guys can decide the best to do.

19. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Strictly speaking Player Led Dolby Vision is the player taking a dual layer profile 7 stream, combining the two 10-bit layers to one 12-bit layer, processing the RPU and spitting out a single layer 12-bit profile 5 stream with static gamma (so no RPU) to the TV. Playing single layer files without recombination isn't really Player Led DV in the strictest sense.

TV led Dolby Vision is the player decoding the two layers and sending the two 10-bit Dolby streams to the TV where they are recombined to produce the 12-bit stream and the RPU is also processed by the TV in real time. Again, sending single layer files in a Standard DV container isn't strictly TV Led DV although it's kind of half way there.

The reason for calling Profile 5 streams "Low Latency" is that they were originally designed for gaming where the inherent latency of a traditional dual layer Dolby Vision system would be unacceptable. It was Sony mucking up their chipsets in the early days that led to Dolby rewriting the playbook and repurposing Profile 5 for Sony to use in their TVs and later realising there was money to be made in OTT applications and of course now in media players. Profile 5 later became synonymous with LLDV which although not an official designation, has stuck.

20. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

@DaMacFunkin

my current settings on the Oppo

[​IMG]

and I should switch for the next test to

[​IMG]

that's right? the picture should be better than Auto?