Beta version v6.0.90 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Well, nowadays that's become a very good reason for back-up indeed. Remember the quality of US movie dvd's? You and your dogs could play frisbee with them all day and they still would play. You could feel the weight. How badly have BD and UHD-BD come for that matter.
    Where I do still like the US discs better.

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Thanks! Appreciate it.

3. Eleonor

Eleonor Active Member

I remember ..
    I have DVDs, they are many years old,
    I have a Jumanjii DVD that came with one of the first Panasonic A100 players

[​IMG]

(It's been over 20 years ....)
    The DVD is still in perfect condition today

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  4. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I’ve read about this before, don’t remember where. Essentially you can rip your own discs as backups, only for yourself and must not be distributed. You can use the backups as long as you still own the discs. Doesn’t matter if it’s a re-encode or a remux as long as the above rule complied.

I feel like telling a bit of my story. I started my home theater 13 years ago, but only until 9 years later I have a dedicated room for it. Too many changes and upgrades to my audio visual equipment, but I started with a PS3 for my blu-ray discs. Been buying discs ever since and never stopped.

Then I realised I don’t really play games and bought a Panasonic player. After a few years it broke, and I bought a Sony player. When I started the home theater room I also bought the most expensive all in one Sony home theater set for the living room. Then both also failed to read discs, I bought them again (this time 4k player) until a few months ago it failed to read discs more times than succeeded. Along this timeline, a good number of discs also simply don’t work in any player anymore.

This is when I started backing up my discs. I discovered MakeMKV and bought a BD-ROM. Using USB external drives the titles were piling up.

I started thinking about watching my movies from the backups instead of discs. I started with my laptop using MPC-BE with madVR, and discovered that I can bitstream Dolby Atmos to my receiver. It’s a whole new experience for me, I started looking at dedicated media players and started researching.

I bought an nVIDIA Shield Pro, and started using Kodi where I first exposed to a library system not found in MPC. I was definitely hooked. The Shield is powerful but a few downsides, there are limited colour space options, Kodi couldn’t play DV at that time. Being new, I was itchy to see what other options out there. Ultimately I decided to try Zidoo Z9X. The rest as they say, is history.

Now every time I buy new discs, I don’t even bother putting it in the player. I rip them right away to watch them on the Z9X.

I look forward to a great future with Zidoo, I hope we it will be here to stay and known as a high quality and respectable media player.

Cheers.

PS: Blu-ray made me started with the home theater. I stopped buying DVD around that time 13 years ago. Gave them all away, don’t own any of them anymore.

Miguel Ramos and Markswift2003 like this.
  5. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

I face somtimes stutters when streaming from NAS over SMB, I connected X9S to compare, X9S has NO STUTTERS AT ALL, same files, even with small mkv files Z9X stutters 2-5 times in a movie (so lag appears, after some seconds video resumes normally).

6. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

The German law allows you to create a backup of your media for personal use if you don't break any copy protection. So it works only for audio cds. But if you don't upload your copy to share it with anyone, who should know.

7. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

Hello, I think Firmware 0.85 and 0.90 solved the Stuttering problem with DV and atmos but they introduced a bug on the smb protocol (less pronounced on version 0.85).
    My Files are on a QNAP TS873 NAS going through an ASUS RT-AX88U router, 1 * 2 Gbits and 2 * 1Gbits networks. Zidoo connection -> Nas not shared with other devices.
    Up to version 0.66 no real smb problems, with 0.85 some sporadic slowing down on some heavy files but since version 0.90 big slowing down on smb even with small files (Serie TV) I have freeze / stuttering.
    I am in VS10 SDR, and all the problems arise when playing in DV. @mirror

8. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Never change anything about SMB since 0.66

9. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

Hello @mirror yes no change on the smb protocol but change in video processing to correct the Atmos / TrueHD and Dolby Vision bug, and that's where the bug is found. There is a bottleneck on the cache like the very well highlighted
    @boxerfan : http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?posts/142206

gogo789 likes this.
  10. MovieUwe

MovieUwe New Member

@mirror, many users have the problem with the stuttering network. It is also reported in other forums. For me, the transmission starts to stutter after a few minutes or the stream hangs completely. No matter what firmware version 0.22., 0.66, 085 or 0.90. Apparently there was not the problem on the X9S. Maybe this is an approach?

11. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

No I think the problem comes from the video processing during decoding, the cache saturates and there is a bottleneck and the cache is not filled fast enough compared to the bitrate, which makes a drop in speed on the networks (since the cache is full, less data is required since it can be filled more). This probably explains the Bug that there was on the TueHD which also had a high speed and had to saturate the cache. So either a bad management of the filling of the cache or an insufficient memory of the Zidoo for the cache. RAM 2GB DDR4
    Shield Pro 3 Go de RAM
    Shield TV 2 Go de RAM (dv file bug)

12. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

What is weird is the fact that not everyone has the bug. I watch almost every day films of at least 1h30 with framerate around 30-90mb/s (fullhd/4k bluray remux) without any issue at all (other than DV + DA which have been fixed in 0.90 firmware).
    In got the box 1 month ago with base firmware, updated to 0.66 then 0.80 do a factory reset (still on 0.80), updated to 0.85 and finally to 0.90.
    My specific settings are :
    - HDR -> Always LLDV 12bit
    - Player -> Only switch framerate
    - Resolution -> Lock to 3840*2160 23Hz
    I'm steaming in SMB from my NAS (on OMV5) using ZBMC with zidoo native player.

Maybe this can help someone.

13. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

i'am in HT4 not ZBMC,
    HDR --> VS10 SDR
    Player --> framerate and resolution
    Resolution -->Lock to 3840*2160 23Hz
    My files are x264 and x265 encode

firmware : 0.22 -->0.66 -->0.85 factory reset --> 0.90

14. MovieUwe

MovieUwe New Member

I last reloaded the origin firmware 0.22 and then 0.90. Unfortunately without success.

Why did you set everything to LLDV 12 bit? Do you also watch HDR material in DV?

15. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Yes I do, it doesn't change a lot colors for HDR but in a test from here (https://www.avsforum.com/threads/review-zidoo-z9x.3170473/) I read :
    "It’s clearly visible that the VS10 processing engine by Dolby fixes almost all shortcomings of Realtek’s video decoding/processing. Therefore, enabling VS10 should be the preferred setting."
    So for me it seems to be the best option. This settings made the colors a bit wrong in the UI (saturation) but as soon as I read a movies this looks really good !

16. MovieUwe

MovieUwe New Member

Thanks for the interesting link to avsforum ;-)
    Will adopt the DV setting also times...

One more question, have you set the CPU performance in the developer settings to max?

17. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

No I haven't touch any of this settings.

18. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

I have same problem wtih smb. I hope zidoo accepts the problems..

19. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

After running firmware 90G for several days, for my daily use, I personally find it pretty good and stable.

I have also switched from Auto to “VS10 engine for all clips”. So far so good, no elevated blacks when playing video. Nice!

20. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

It is already necessary to know if the problem comes from the smb or is related to the reading of dolby vision movies as ghostshadow points out for example.

And it is not everyone who has this problem.