Brightness changing on Sony OLED A8H HDR10 content only Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Tuta, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Tuta

Tuta New Member

For some reason, brightness is changing within a scene by itself, only when playing HDR10 content. This is happening on Sony OLED A8H, and only with Zidoo native player. When using KODI player or VLC, brightness is stable and not changing. Does anyone have a clue why, is it an issue with TV settings, or Z9X native player? Thank you

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Never seen an issue like that so I'd have to say it's TV settings - I can't think of anything in the way the Zidoo player works that would cause that.

Is there an ambient light compensation setting on the TV perhaps?

3. Tuta

Tuta New Member

Light sensor setting exists and it is disabled for SDR, for HDR it is disabled by default. Again this happens only with HDR10 and Zidoo native player on any HDMI input

4. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

I have an A9G and i never had this problem with a zidoo devices.

with Netflix when they reduced the bandwidth during covid and with dracula tv show in DV for example the brightness was changing in the scenes like a flicker when there was a light source like candles for example.

5. Tuta

Tuta New Member

This is mostly visible in bright, static scenes. I was able to test it on Samsung QLED and picture is OK, brightness is stable. Only on Sony OLED and Zidoo player problem is always around.
    Picture is great on all android apps installed on TV, all Youtube sample HDR videos. I will try to contact Sony support after holidays

6. SandorM

SandorM New Member

Same issue with LG c9
    mpeg-ts DolbyVision format has a lot of problems - especially like this.
    every scene change (so in every 1-5 sec) indicate brightness change also (Hobbit-2160p-DV.SL.ts)

I will check it with kodi (tomorrow)

7. Tuta

Tuta New Member

I've realized that issue is caused by embedded non-PGS subtitles, and only in some colors. In my case, en subtitles/CC are enabled by default and set to yellow, and this is why I have
    experienced this all the time during HDR playback. External and PGS subtitles are OK, even white embedded. Hope that zidoo folks can address this issue in the future.

8. Markswift2003

I doubt it's the Zidoo doing that - more likely some form of AGC (automatic gain control) in the display.

9. Tuta

Tuta New Member

It is possible that OLED has some burn-in protection logic. But still it works fine with yellow external subtitles, or Kodi yellow embedded subtitles. I can live with white subtitles for now.

10. Markswift2003

If you want send me a clip that does this (just a couple of minutes or so) I can test here and see if I can replicate it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  11. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I have an LG CX and never seen anything like that like that using the Z9X. However the CX has issues with ABSL - a feature that will auto dim the screen when it detects a static or dim image that is on screen for a few minutes. This causes issue in very dim series such as Ozark or The Haunting of Bly Manor. During a long dim scene you can sometimes see the TV going even dimmer. This is an over aggressive anti burn in feature and can be turned off in the service menu. Just a thought.

12. Tuta

Tuta New Member

tyt.d2sm.com/test/Clouds.2020.HDR.2160p.WEB.mkv

75 seconds length, around 200MB. Any subtitle, but color must be yellow. If you can not reproduce on non-oled TV (or even non Sony oled), it must be some TV anti burn-in feature.
    Thank you.

13. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Played this on my LG CX. Changed subtitles to yellow. No change in brightness throughout.

14. Markswift2003

Ok - downloaded and tested. This seems to have brought another bug forward - the colours in subtitle settings are all screwed up - Red is Yellow, Green is Purple, Blue is Dark Purple, Yellow is Green...

But trying on all colours, there is no image dimming at all - this is on a Samsung LED.

15. Markswift2003

Are the colours correct?

16. Tuta

Tuta New Member

OK it must be Sony's feature. I will call them tomorrow to inquire.
    When it comes to color mixup, I've seen this when forcing Dolby Vision output, but not on HDR10.

17. Markswift2003

Ah - thank you - wasn't aware of that little "feature"

18. OlivierQC

I will try it on my sony oled

what should i see as a problem on an oled sony ?

19. Tuta

Tuta New Member

If you select any subtitle and configure subtitles with yellow color, picture gets darker/brighter when subtitles go on/off

20. OlivierQC

I also have it, a slight change of brightness on the image when the subtitles appear.

I don't know if it's the TV or the Zidoo.

but if it was the TV why it does not do it with the other type of subtitle .... it is weird.

this is only my opinion but this type of subtitle is too bright compared to the others, I will not be able to see an whole movie with such bright yellow subtitles

luckily for me i never use subtitles

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021