Z9X external HDD

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by zwierzak, Oct 24, 2020.

1. zwierzak

zwierzak New Member

why Z9X can see only up to 10 HDD ? I have more then 10 HDD and zidoo
    cannot see more drives . Drives are connected through the usb hub. Z9X has 4 usb port . both 1 usb port and 4 usb port can see only up to 10 drives

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

That is a long time ago, but did tests once with Z9S up to 12 HDD's: One 10 slot Icy Box IB-3810U3 HDD tower and 2 extra 2.5 inch HDD's on other USB ports.
    That tower is very nice as you can power individual HDD's with it keeping the total active number below 10 even using 2 of these. I just pop-in those HDD's I want to use. Even individual Eject works nicely with this.

You always can add 2x SATA too.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    xskip likes this.
  3. zwierzak

zwierzak New Member

my disks are 3,5" and i tried all connections with 2 active hubs and all 4 zidoo usb . drives work fine connected directly to usb port . all drives are from 1 GB to 8GB.
    But maximum number of drives which can be see are only up to 11 . Small pendrives can be see more than 11.

4. parlapipis

parlapipis New Member

Well , i have an isuue with my unit. although i plug in 4 portable discs on the usb ports , it can recognize only the three of them. i have switced cables and ports and i hve come to the conclusion that the problem lies on one of the two usb 2.0 ports. It cannot recognize both wd passports that are connected to the the usb 2.o ports. Any ideas?

5. zwierzak

zwierzak New Member

and
    I add that my EGRAT A5

6. zwierzak

zwierzak New Member

work fine with all disk drives

7. Nice Monkey

Could well be that I tested with thumb drives next to my 10x 3.5 inch HDD's? I really don't remember.

Tested my setup also with Egreat A10/A11 without problems/limits.

I have seen a problem with a WD 2.5 inch not being recognized at power-up but yes with plugging in manually (with retries) on UHD2000. That same HDD works flawless with my Z9X at power-on.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  8. zwierzak

zwierzak New Member

after a few days testing HDDs my problem is solved. two drives had
    problem connecting to the z9x. I formated drives and now connection to z9x is correct. HT 4.0 is almost perfect for me.
    I recommend the player to others.

9. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

17 HDD , 2T 2.5 inch x 1 via SATA, 8T 3.5 inch x4 in HDD enclosure via USB, 10T 3.5 inch x 12 in three HDD enclosure via USB each holding 4 HDD.

Attached Files:

xskip likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Wow, you are beating me hands-on. Interesting setup. Using it in SMB Server mode too?
    What is the total power consumption of your monster setup? Lucky Zidoo spins down unused HDD's for power and noise.

Put Emby on it and you can compete with Netflix. I am pretty sure Emby wil work on it, running it on another Android 7 media player without obvious problems thus far.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  11. geccone

geccone New Member

hhh 12tb wd impossible copy on or download from network. try with hdd 10 tb all ok, connected with usb 3.0.
    Thank you for suggestion

12. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

I access those hard disk through win 10 as client Z9X as server.

Attached Files:

13. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

3 of those 4 hard disk enclosure using the original switching power supply, the other one using a liner power supply.
    Those enclosure was products of 10 years ago when I am using them with oppo 93 and all 2T hard disk, and now just change them with 8T or 10T.
    2 of those enclosure connected to Z9X with 3 meter long USB 3.0 cable on Z9X USB 2.0 port, the others 2 connected to Z9X with 2 meter long USB 3.0 cable together with USB 2.0 Female A to Male A 90 degree connector to Z9X USB 3.0 port.
    So, all of them actually running as USB 2.0 .
    I also use LPS on Z9X, I do believe it enhance the picture and sound quality.
    I do not believe LPS using on hard disk enclosure bring the same positive effect as LPS using on Z9X.
    95% of time running good and no problems, sometimes (the 5% ) a sleeping hard disk will auto umount and auto mount while watching movies.
    May be the LPS on USB causing that, I still do not have intention to verify it.
    I believe Z9X is much more steady than Z9S in the cretiera of USB connection ability.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  14. Nice Monkey

@Peter Cheung
    Thanks for sharing your details.

I am using a single 2x 5A LPS for my all my media players and individual HDD's. The IB-3810U3 10-slot tower has a huge 300W (PC like) PSU build-in. Modified it to include 2 fan speed controllers for noise reduction.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Peter Cheung likes this.