Update on Z9X USB drives <<PLEASE READ>>

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

There was a post recently on the Z9X thread where @mutt had some serious issues with USB drives causing the boot table to become corrupt and effectively brick the device.

This was initially thought to be due to using two USB devices in a particular configuration but after further testing it seems to be due to specific Western Digital USB drives that incorporate a UDF Virtual CD partition.

This partition contains "Western Digital Smartware" programs and so far we don't know whether it's the software on this partition or the partition configuration itself that is causing the issue.

Either way it's quite serious.

@mutt was able to restore his box through the built in Realtek Rescue System, however, while testing this I have bricked my test box three times now (twice on purpose!) and have had to resort to soldering a UART to the motherboard and connecting via PuTTY to the built in U-Boot system to unbrick. Not for the faint hearted and many many thanks to @jjm2473 for the invaluable and patient help.

So for the moment, please DO NOT USE WESTERN DIGITAL USB HARD DISCS THAT INCLUDE A UDF VIRTUAL CD-ROM PARTITION.

If anyone has had similar issues, I'd love to hear from you and similarly if anyone happens to be using a Western Digital USB drive successfully (My Book or My Passport for example), again I'd love to hear from you.

I've given the Devs all the information I have on this issue, including console boot logs, so they are aware of it.

Mark

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Mark,
    My WD USB drives are working correctly. I use two. Passport & Elements - one of each.
    My previously reported problem I now believe had nothing to do with the Z9X and more to do with some previous android files (From before my purchase of the Z9X) and Windows 10.
    Regards

3. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

I have 2 elements connected via a passive hub with no problems.

4. Markswift2003

Many thanks for the feedback - could you confirm that your drives have the "CD-Rom" partition with WD Smartware on them and roughly what age they are?

Both my My Passport and My Book drives are fairly old (>10 years I think), both with the CD-Rom partition and both caused a brick on boot.

5. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

Mark,

It would be help to know the following:
    1) What WD models has the problem been observed?
    2) Is this localized only on the Z9x?

I use multiple WD easystore on older X8 and X9s models and have never experienced an issue so I feel this problem is localized to the latest models? I have a Z9x on order and had no hesitation using WD on those too.

6. Random_Vibration

My easystore devices don't have a CD partion. They come with software in the root directory of the main partion. Maybe you should obliterate the partion before using.

7. Markswift2003

That's on my list to test but I want to try to understand just what's causing it first.

Software sitting on normal NTFS or FAT32 partition say wouldn't cause any problems, but the same thing on what is effectively a CD-Rom might.

8. Markswift2003

So far I've tested a "My Passport" and "My Book" circa 2009 and the original issue was reported on a "My Book Essential" which I think is a later version of mine.

Not tested on other players but since the platform is the same you'd have to assume the same behaviour.

9. xskip

xskip Active Member

Western Digital My Passport 5 TB, file system: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), working great. :)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  10. Random_Vibration

The platform is similar but not the same. Different versions of Android and different processors. Same manufacturer and similar devices, but not the same.

Like I said, I have used various WD Easystore devices from 2TB to 16TB on X8 and X9s devices with no problem. None have a CD partion. You might want to remove that partition for your future use since it serves no practical purpose.

I have some older WD My books with those same partitions and have no use for them.

Your warning is appreciated but probably a little over broad..."DO NOT USE WESTERN DIGITAL USB HARD DISCS." Western Digital USB hard drives seem to be perfectly fine as long as they are newer models without the "CD partion". Thanks for posting nonetheless.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  11. Markswift2003

I assumed you meant players in the same family (ie RTD1619) and not the older ones.

This hasn't been reported on older models.

12. Markswift2003

I assume that doesn't have a CD_Rom partition either - you'd see it in the drive list as a CD-Rom in Media Center?

13. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

I have a WD Elements Portable 4 TB from 2020 and no problems so far.

14. Random_Vibration

The warning was over broad and most people probably aren't using these older drives. Those who do use them should remove these partitions if they wish to use them on a Zidoo.

15. Markswift2003

I've changed the original post to make it clearer that this is only applicable to drives with a UDF partition configured as a CD-ROM.

16. Markswift2003

Again I assume no separate partition?

17. J.K.uploaden

J.K.uploaden Member

No. For many years I have 2 and 4 TB WD Elements Portable HDDs, now 15, but none had a separate partition. And I also can't remember WD Elements 3,5'' HDDs with separate partitions, the latest is 8 TB from 2019.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

Many thanks for the confirmation..

19. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Both my drives are 2 Tb with one partition only, NTFS file system. One is about 2 y/o and the other around 5 y/o

20. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

You know ow my old advice since many years. Remove all partitions first including all hidden and re-format next as Android does not like those.
    This if more than one is detected using "minitool partition wizard free".

Never was aware it could even do damage to the FW bootloader.