ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Mark if you have to adjust brightness on player in two places wouldn’t that make more sense to adjust brightness once on display device, your projector?

I’m sure you have it calibrated to perfection and don’t want to touch it but I find different movies based on studios, director liking and whatever else to have different floor level as you said. The example would be John Wick movies where dark scenes have black crush and require brightness to go up couple of points. The opposite would be “Solo: A Star Wars Story” where there is no black colour at all. All backgrounds in dark scenes are glowing grey and need 3 to 4 points down to bring it near the black level.

Those examples are true for 4K HDR versions and regular HD.

2. YDS

YDS New Member

Hi All,

I would like to share an issue with wired Ethernet connection encountered on the Z9X running 6.0.22_G and IPVanish ver 3.4.4.2.87362.
    If you are using a wireless network connection (WiFi On) - no issue encountered.

The scenario is this :

Key Network Settings :
    WiFi - Off
    Ethernet connection is configured for Static IP or on AutoDHCP.

Power Up Z9X
    Run IPVanish, select Connect.
    VPN up and running.

Disconnect IPVanish
    Do a Connect again
    IPVanish error - no network available

At this stage, you have no access to the network at all as the Ethernet Connection has been switched OFF.

This is confirmed by :

Go to Settings - Network - Ethernet and you will see that there is No Connection. You have to do a Connect to get the network back up
    and everything works normally, including IPVanish.

I have reported this to IPVanish and they acknowledge that there are some reported issues with Android boxes running version 9.

I am in the midst of downloading ver 6.0.30_G to test and will report back on this.

In the meantime, use WiFi as your network connection or go through the steps Settings - Network - Ethernet - Connect.

Hope this helps someone out there. Will keep posted on any progress when I have it.

** Update - Issue remain with 6.0.30_G firmware

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  3. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Feature request: EDID bypass (manual selection) - to remain manually fixed even after reboot.

Tested on v6.0.30_G, EDID bypass (manual selection) is lost after reboot. Resolution reverts back to 1080p.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

My suggestions above are really a temporary work around until this gets fixed - you probably don't want to mess with black level at the display as that will change it for other sources too. Ok, you could probably set some profiles, but I think that's getting a bit complicated for what I hope is a temporary problem.

5. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

Well, fighting my setup a bit... The power toggle and the z9x turning my TV off. This is a pita... I have a activity to watch z9x on my harmony elite, then my power setting is to turn off the zidoo switching activity... Doing this turns my TV off. I have the box, through my denon receiver, to the TV....
    Cec is off in the z9x... I toggled it on, then off again, and turned the z9x off, the TV stayed on... Perfect. Turned the box on and off again and the TV turned off again.... Sigh.... Lol
    Also if the box is on, and I hit the watch z9x activity again, it turns the box and TV off,
    Is there a discreet on and off?? And how do I get it to quit turning my TV off... Lol
    TV, denon, remote, z9x all new within the last few weeks... Sony 75x950h, denon 2600h, Logitech harmony elite..
    I am on the latest beta, not sure if rolling back will change anything... Is that just installing the previous version on top??
    Thanks so much for your time.
    (my dune doesn't mess with my TV power..... Lol)

6. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Installed the BT Sport app and it's working with a HDR stream on the Z9x. Slightly buggy at first but settled down and seems stable. Might be able to ditch the Chromecast Ultra.

7. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

Z9X is good.
    PQ better than Z9S.
    I remove antena and install CR1220 by myself.
    The new firmware 6.0.30G with samba server now, it is good for edit subtitle and transfer files through windows, turn on the compatibility mode and LLDV work on my LGB8 (Z9X> Yamaha 3080> LGB8).
    LLDV good for SDR.
    I am happy with Z9X now.
    Looking for further compatibility with DV.

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

You are sure all options are OFF not just the Main HDMI-CEC switch. As strange as it may sound that what is needed as Android looks at the individual settings at power-on.

9. Markswift2003

Haha - I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that! ;)

Miguel Ramos likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I can't do that as it is needed for Bluetooth too. ;)

11. Steve Dunn

Steve Dunn New Member

Hi Mark,

Although I’ve been setting up and testing the Z9X on my 4K HDR TV, my Projector that we use for watching movies with the family is currently only 1080p.
    8yr old Epson TW-EH3200 (hoping to talk the wife into a faux-4K PJ in the near future) ;)

We thought we’d watch watch Black Panther in tribute to Chadwick Boseman and I found the dark scenes extremely dark and hard to make out any detail. Poorer than watching the standard BluRay.
    Bright scenes were fine.

I set HDR to VS10 and tried both HDMI ranges but didn’t make much difference.

Any thoughts? Accepting the limitations of the PJ, I thought I’d at least get similar performance to the standard BluRay?

Steve.

12. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

Yes, they are all off . Every option on the z9x for cec...
    Does the box need a power cycle for them to stick?? I can enable, then toggle then on and off, set them to off, then set the main to off... Probably won't help... But it's just a few clicks...

Update, I turned on the main option, then turned off all the individual options, then turned off the main option. Guipower down, rocker power off, then powered back on. It seems to have fixed the tv turning off...... hopefully it lasts. Lol

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  13. Valera

Valera Member

Perhaps, there is no need to transmit full chroma 444 over hdmi. Apparently, blu ray titles (incl. Hdr ones) sub-sampled to 420 format. So selecting 420 or 422 will be sufficient. Missed chroma samples will be replicated by tv logic itself.

14. Markswift2003

Sad day indeed - with all that's going on in the world, I must admit that was quite a shock to read this morning.

I guess you're touching on a subject close to my heart here - I was involved many years ago in the inception of Digital TV in the UK and at the time I was utterly underwhelmed. When we eventually started to broadcast HDTV, my announcement to the higher echelons was, well - finally, the telly looks as good as analogue again! Didn't go down too well, but somewhere a point was taken and a wry smile given.

And HDR UHD was initially the same - no-one knew how the hell to master this stuff correctly to start with and at one point the holy grail was to try and get the HDR UHD grade looking as good as the HD SDR one. Thankfully those days were numbered pretty quickly, but there are still casualties - sometimes bigger isn't necessarily better - and that may be a slightly heretical view to take, but what you're looking at there is probably a very good example - sometimes take the SDR grade and enjoy that instead.

15. destroyer2usa

destroyer2usa New Member

I now have severe colourbanding in the sky etc. with LLDV engaged connected to my Sony oled with the .30 firmware which wasn't present with the .22 firmware.

Easily spotted in the first few minutes of the first Kingsman movie on 4K.

Switching to HDR Auto fixes this completely with colour settings 10 bit 444 but i very much like the result of LLDV conversion of all content so i want to set that as display output permanently.

Hope this gets fixed. Thinking of going back to .22 firmware which worked great for me no resyncs, black screens or whatsoever connected to Sony Af9 thru my Denon 6500H.

If i want to revert back i have to install the available recovery image like on my X9S?

But i hope LLDV colourbanding gets fixed again.

Otherwise awesome box!!

16. Markswift2003

That's really odd - I've just had a look at the Spears & Munsil Chroma alignment and banding is the same as it ever was, that's to say excellent.

Ignore the moire effect due to taking a pic of a TV, but this pattern will show any inconsistency due to chroma banding, particularly in the blue band. This is 1000nit LLDV.

!cid_567121f7-b416-4029-bf7a-8dfc209b1683@winuk.jpg

Compare this to the same pattern in Realtek HDR - clear chroma banding in blue (still none in red), but to be absolutely clear, this is a bit of a torture test, and even in this mode you'd be hard pushed to see it in real world content.

!cid_a33d1fdb-e959-4191-9c96-5c2f2f50f60e@winuk.jpg

My go to clips for content banding are The Martian and Blade Runner 2049 opening scenes, and neither mode shows banding in those.

I also checked the start of Kingsman and again, no banding.

Something else is at play here.

17. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

its seems to be a little better but my projector is not a calibrated now, so I am not sure for that.
    This box is good..
    Very good and it getting better!
    I check ZDMC and it play good

18. destroyer2usa

destroyer2usa New Member

Box also keeps on locking up on me too, so something must have gone wrong with upgrading to .30 firmware??

I'm gonna install recovery.img and then install first .22 firmware to check colourbanding and then upgrade to .30.

Great!! Installing recover.img and then upgrading to .22 firmware online and then with usb to .30 firmware fixed the colorbanding when using LLDV.

So must have gone something wrong with upgrading the first time, perhaps because set tot LLDV my Sony Oled only displays picture when Z9X is finished with booting and the main screen is up. Perhaps during first update I pressed a button on the remote during the installation of the update because I had no picture and that somehow screwed up the update??

Ok, so I can again enjoy the awesome PQ of the LLDV option with all content, HDR and non HDR!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Markswift2003 likes this.
  19. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

glad to hear that worked.... say where can i find the recovery image ?? sounds like a good thing to have on hand.
    thanks

20. Kylin Tang

Kylin Tang New Member

Hey guys. I tried the NFS protocol, and the problem has been solved perfectly. It is not that difficult to set up NFS in Synology system. As long as you appointed a static IP for the Z9X, and allowed access privilege for this IP, then Z9X can successfully play the video from NAS. No more freeze.