ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

It comes down to your personal preference. The great thing is that you have a choice and VS10 is way better than Realteks default SDR to HDR conversion.

2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks @Sledgehamma - so as has been stated before, when playing an HDR10+ video, do not invoke VS10 - correct?

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

There is no such thing as a best setting. There are a lot of different TV's and personal preferences. There are probably some combinations which are best avoided but ultimately one needs to try and find out what one likes best. As a lot of changes still will be made to HDR I wait for the time being till matters settle down a bit first. For now I am running with AUTO which does a fairly good job with FW 6.0.22 already.

4. Sledgehamma

It depends on your display and the settings of HDR on the Zidoo.
    If the display is HDR10+ capable then VS10 will not be invoked (if you select HDR as auto). If you play HDR10+ content and your Display is HDR10 only it will use that HDR10 "core" of the HDR10+ stream and process it via the VS10 engine (if you set HDR to VS10) and send out HDR10. If your display is also DV capable it will output the HDR10+ (again it only uses the HDR10 part of the video) as DV.

Its all a bit confusing and there are many variables. I made a small chart that hopefully makes it more clearly:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    3DBuff and Rob W like this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Thanks Sledge! Nice Table is what I got to.

Oh yes if your added APP's don't go automatically into landscape mode then you need to change the Android 9 default in Android setup for orientation. I think the default should be changed by Zidoo for TV's.

Advanced Setup => Display => Auto-rotate screen => ON

Sledgehamma likes this.
  6. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

It's not clear in table if VS10 is performing tone mapping on HDR10. If it is then on TVs that always perform their own tone mapping the output will look different/probably worse from VS10 than auto. On C9/CX it will probably look better.

7. Sledgehamma

Its my understanding that it also does tone mapping.

Some interesting info I found:
    The Dolby Vision VS10 universal HDR playback solution supports both dual-layer and single-layer Dolby Vision streams and other HDR formats based on the SMPTE ST 2084 standard.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150903005787/en/MediaTek-Adopts-Dolby-Vision-4K-Ultra-HD

Not sure if this is correct, but that would mean that it uses the profile 7 MEL for converting it to HDR10. That is, in case the profile 7 MEL is really being used. Zidoo states that profile 7 is not supported so we will have to see.

8. DMD

DMD Member

Good morning
    It is the first time that I write on this forum, I hope it is the right section and I apologize if I write some inaccuracy.
    I have a multimedia player (HiMedia Q10 pro) and I am interested in upgrading with the Zidoo Z9X pro which fascinates me for its features.
    In this regard, I wanted to clarify some doubts.
    1- It is possible to install Kodi and use the native Zidoo player via Wrapper.
    2- The internal root of the internal folders can be managed via the SAMBA network.
    3- From the characteristics I did not notice the SD Card slot as a memory expansion.

Sincerely thank you

9. Steve Dunn

Steve Dunn New Member

If it helps, I was having the same issue when changing the HDMI range (Hisense 4K HDR but no Dolby Vision, via a Denon X7200 AVR).

However, I found that switching the TV off and back on, resolved the issue and displayed the Z9X output again. I figured it was an HDMI hand-shaking issue or something. Once set, it doesn’t have a problem.

Steve.

10. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

I have seen a post saying profile 7 is playing on Z9x but with issues. I guess Zidoo won't have official support but hopefully unofficial.:)

11. Sledgehamma

It plays back (with some stutter) and it triggers DV. However, I don't have a DV BD player to compare the output and make sure its actually processing DV.

12. Steve Dunn

Steve Dunn New Member

Can anybody advise please:

I’m having some issues with the Z9X displaying the wrong badges on the HT3 Poster Wall?

I’ve followed the guide by McBluna for the file naming conventions but, for example, some Marvel BluRays are showing a basic 5.1 “Dolby Digital” badge when they are clearly DTS Master HD. Have some other Dolby Atmos movies with the same issue? I also get some HEVC H.265 / 23.976Hz badges and no sound badge on some...even though I’ve not stated those in the Folder Name?
    (“The Avengers.2012.1080p.Bluray.DTS-HD.MA.7.1”)

I’ve taken them as an uncompressed rip from the disc so in standard folder format, not as MKVs if that makes any difference? They play absolutely perfectly and the AVR reports the correct sound.

Anybody else have this or is it just early firmware snags? Can I force Or manually edit the badges used on the Poster Wall somehow?

Steve.

13. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Profile 7 MKV made from Mel plays in DV but there is colour push (compared to Oppo 203) This is also being seen on the Nvidia shield, something in the chain is wrong or DV is being crassly applied to HDR., wrong colour flag???
    Profile 7 MKV from Fel only plays in HDR10 and looks like as HDR should.

14. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

got the z9x up and running, almost all is basically fine. SMB works fine, use the zidoo HDMI cable that comes with it, to avoid stutter with UHD feeds.
    IPTV is a problem, feeds stop after 2 or 3 minutes, so something is wrong there..

ps, checked the IPTV feeds on another android 9 machine, there all is fine, so must have something to to with the current Zidoo OS.

ps2 doing some IPTV testing again, no issues after a cold reboot.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  15. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

The best test I’ve found to see if DV is being processed is the end credits of Power Rangers. In HDR10 the text is a dull greyish but in DV the text is a lot brighter.

16. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Problem is Power Rangers is Dolby Vision Profile 7 FEL, so it will play in HDR10 no matter what on the Zidoo players.

17. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

Zidoo are looking into the 3D mkv problem and I sent them some samples to help with testing.

I am surprised that not many people have noticed the problem in testing/reviews or reported it here. Problem is specific to mvc mkv processing and the result is an image with no 3D pop only depth. 3D iso playback is working normally and the problem is clear to see when comparing them.

Edit - A temporary solution is to use https://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR to mux your 3D mkv into Blu-ray ISO format this then works with the Z9x.

18. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Badges were extensively discussed in Home Theater thread. Start reading here.

MKV files behave different with badges compared to ISO and file structure. Decoder will also populate some badges after you play movie and push audio badge out of the row of 5 badges limit. Badges need some work from Zidoo.

Steve Dunn and Rob W like this.
  19. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks most helpful

20. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Hey guys and girls, because of that rysyncs and dolby vision on lg c9 TVs, they are gone when I deactivate the frame rate switch, so when I play dolby vision mkv of of the movie "2xx1" in 60hz everything plays great on my lg c9 in dolby vision, without reysyncs

Edit
    But after some time of playing a other movie "Aquaxxx" the player hangs up Or becomes leggy and I have to reboot

I think it depends on the bitrate some work better some not, but the resyncs are gone with 60hz