No HDR or 10-bit 4K playback

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by otnemeM, Feb 17, 2020.

1. otnemeM

otnemeM New Member

I just purchased a Z9S and I can't get 4K content to display HDR, 10-bit, or a colorspace other than ITU 709. All 4K content displays as 8 bit and ITU 709 regardless of what is in the original file. The other thing I noticed is that pixel format for any file I play is always 4:4:4 even if I have it set to auto or to prefer something else.

Ideally I want the Zidoo to output the file as is and leave processing to the TV. The same files I'm testing with playback correctly from my Xbox. They will properly output HDR if the file is HDR.

Output is straight to TCL65R615 TV.

Any ideas?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not familiar with that TV, but these settings should work:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode > Switch frame and resolution

Display/HDMI Mode > Lock Resolution > Off

Display/HDMI Mode > 3840x2160p 23Hz

Display/Color settings/Deep color mode > Priority 10-bit

Display/Color settings/Color space mode > Priority YCbCr 444

Display/Color settings/HDMI Range Mode > 16-235

Display/Color settings/HDR > Auto

One thing to remember is not to try and set an illegal HDMI mode output.

For example 4K23 8-bit 422 is an illegal mode, whereas 4K23 12-bit 422 is legal as is 4K23 8-bit 444.

3. otnemeM

otnemeM New Member

Those settings didn't change anything. Everything behaves exactly the same. I also tried it on my other 4K TV which is an older TCL model and the exact same results happened. It's unfortunate as I like the interface of the Zidoo but if it can't work with my equipment to do the main thing I bought it to do it's useless. I'll have to return it and find an alternative that works with my TV's.

4. Schumy

Schumy Member

Hi guys, whats rhe difference between choosing

Display/Color settings/Color space mode > Priority YCbCr 444
    vs
    Priority RGB 444?

And which setting is better?

Many thanks for your advice.

5. otnemeM

otnemeM New Member

Broadcast video, DVD's, BD, etc are all YCbCr. One isn't necessarily better but people sometimes see issues with black crush when using RGB.

6. tz4

tz4 Member

I'm sure this is a HDMI handshake issue, like with Samsung TV's.
    Modifying settings will not help.
    Check on my post in X20 topic.

7. otnemeM

otnemeM New Member

I've confirmed that no matter the settings I can't get HDR from the Zidoo. I also have tried connecting the Zidoo to an HDMI switcher I have and to the XBOX and it can't do proper HDMI handshake with those devices either. They actually won't even display a proper image. I picked up an Nvidia Shield TV today and it detected my display was HDR capable and asked me if I wanted to enable HDR as soon as I plugged the HDMI in. I've verified that I get HDR as expected when playing content. So theissue is obviously with Zidoo and unfortunately I'm returning my device. What sucks is that I like the interface on the Zidoo and personally HT 2.0 is the best media interface I've ever used.

8. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

there was a setting to ignore display device edid. have u tried?

9. tz4

tz4 Member

It does nothing with HDR, just the refresh rates.
    Did you tried to chaneg your TV's HDMI input singal settings?
    I've got proper HDR 1080p with my Samsung with disabled the enhanced input signal feature, too bad the 4k res. only working at 8 bit mode.

10. otnemeM

otnemeM New Member

That didn't help

11. otnemeM

otnemeM New Member

I don't have any settings like this on my TV

12. Nick V

Nick V New Member

I have the same issue, all 4K video is displayed in 4K 8-bit YUV444 despite any settings I have changed on my Z9s.

I'm using an Optomo UHD40 beamer instead of a 4k T V

13. Markswift2003

Only reason I can think it would do that is either EDID in the AVR if the video is going through one, and/or the EDID in the projector.

It might result in no picture, but it's worth trying "Ignore EDID" in Video Settings.

Nick V likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

The other reason could be sync time is greater than the wait time to confirm video mode changes, so you never get to see the confirmation dialogue when you change mode and video mode reverts. How long is the sync time on Optoma PJs?

15. Nick V

Nick V New Member

yes it's going through an Onkyo TX-NR636, I think I already turned off EDID on the ZIDOO , will double check later today.
    I'm also going to try to hook up the Zidoo straight to the Optoma with nothing in between.

16. Schumy

Schumy Member

Check the HDMI cables and the HDMI port setting on the TV/projector.

In my case, the HDMI cable that came with Zidoo is defective/poor quality, can't seem to output 10bit/BT.2020.

Also my personal experience, the HDMI port setting on Sony TV was not set to extended colour, and in another case with Xgimi projector not set to HDMI 2.0, then in both cases they couldn't display 10bit/BT. 2020.

Cheers

17. indieke

indieke New Member

I got same issues. I wonder it is not going through a Denon surround amp (that is 4K), that is the main problem. Sometimes it just put it over and over in 1080 P.

A question I am having, MUST hdmi 2.0 be activated on the projector? Is to be activated somewhere on the Zidoo? I have a brand new Fengmi Cinema 2 projector. HD material is really perfect in colors and balance of contrast and brightness, but all 4K HDR marerial look weird, often too dark and not always best colors.

18. John7

John7 New Member

I had this problem with my Pioneer AVR. It turned out that after a F/W update, a hidden setting to change HDMI from Standard to Enhanced had been changed to standard(10 bit video could not be played). Once I re-set it to "enhanced" HDMI, everyhing worked fine.

Heres a link to the Pioneer settings page showing the differences between standard and enhanced

https://jp.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manual/sup/upd/hdmi_4k_pio.pdf

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  19. Markswift2003

Denon receivers have a similar setting - it can be a bloody nuisance!

20. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

So do Sony TV’s