Zidoo Z9S as NAS

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Seamus, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Seamus

Seamus New Member

I would like to use Zidoo also as NAS.
    But there are problems on sight.

Samba is not supported in Win10, but also samba uses my computer bandwidth to transfer files from third device to Zidoo. Same problems appears if I want to transfer files from one disc to another or to external backup USB disc
    I firstly use Scrcpy (remote desktop) with adb (USB debugging ON). Great solution, but this option is disabled at reboot.
    Here is explanation why (and I sadly accept this): http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/abd-debugging-service-lost-at-boot.66272/

Then I tried SSH, but this is pretty unfriendly way and I still need my PC on, but at least doesn't use my computer bandwidth.
    I saw that for X9 there was some NAS package, but not for Z9, since for Z9 there should be Luci. But Luci is not NAS or web interface.

Is there any plans to have real NAS interface, to manage files and storage over web? My 12 years old HDX1000 had web explorer to deal with files locally on device.
    I hardly believe that this new shine device doesn't have web interface for file managing?

I found this - http://MY_IP:9528/pc/file/file_list.html as explorer, but it is read only and can hardly be called file explorer, it is just list as said in address :( .

2. Seamus

Seamus New Member

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Zidoo comes with OpenWRT including amongst others SMB and FTP Server.
    Works well with W10 clients plus clients on other media players. Use it as my simple NAS that way since years.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. Seamus

Seamus New Member

It works if you can enable SMB . I cannot, security reasons. But still - both SMB and FTP uses local network resources.
    So if I want to copy 250GB file from backup USB disk connected to my Zidoo, back to my Zidoo SATA disk (both are on same device) I can do it with SMB (from VMWare windows) or FTP.
    BUT - I will always use my local network resources - files goes from USB HDD over my computer to SATA HDD.
    And this is complete nonsense. Especially if I am working in room with no wired 1Gbit network with only 72-200Mbit wireless signal.
    With SSH I can do it without need for network resources on my computer, but I must be connected to network without interruption, other wise the copy procedure is stopped and canceled.

I hope you can see the point of NAS interface, where I can do this locally on device (Zidoo in this case) and in meantime I can forget about copying immediately when copying begins.

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Copying between 2 SMB resources directly works only if the SMB Client is smart enough to do so.
    Try using Total Commander on your PC . That one should be able to do so.
    Great pruduct anyway.

6. Seamus

Seamus New Member

I am really not aware of mechanism to do so, but I tried anyway.
    I test it as you suggest with TC, but result is somehow expected - local resources were used - see attached picture with networking went up to my current connection limit (100MBit is 10% of 1Gbits VMWare network card).
    Could you explain the settings that I will not use my local resources for SMB.
    Z9S_resources.jpg

And also example of SSH doing the same procedure - copy directory from one Zidoo HDD to another one - Z9S_SSH_resources.jpg, you can see that SSH uses no network resources at all.

Z9S_SSH_resources.jpg

7. Schumy

Schumy Member

hi guys, I try to do this with my Z9S but under the Samba service windows it gives the follow error lines and does even provide an GUI interface, appreciate your advice, many thanks:

/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:433: Failed to execute cbi dispatcher target for entry '/admin/NAS/samba'.
    The called action terminated with an exception:
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:311: Unable to read UCI data: samba
    stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'assert'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:433: in function 'dispatch'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:168: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:167>