Movies in 4k Hdr and 8bit info

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by failax, Jan 5, 2020.

1. failax

failax Member

When i play 4k hdr movies on my projector I see in zidoo video information always 8 bit instead of 10/12 bit, while on my vpr i can fix 12 bit and 422 as output and see it on video info.
    What is the real output information between the two?

2. Roman Unucka

Roman Unucka New Member

Did You connect Zidoo with projector directly ?

When I connect my projector 4k hdr with Zidoo directly ... projector shows 10 bit. If I connected projector via AVR projector shows only 8 bit. My AV reciever doesn ´t support 10 bit and 422.
    For me it's either 8 or 10 bit. It doesn't matter to my eyes.

3. failax

failax Member

My AV receiver is Yamaha HTR 3069, it can handle 10 bit.

4. Roman Unucka

Roman Unucka New Member

...but with 422 or 444 and with 23 Hz or 24 Hz. Firstly try connect projector directly without AVR.

for my AVR after upgrade firmaware supports HDMI 4k in enhanced setting, see anex.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  5. failax

failax Member

I attached x9s directly to Epson 7300 and it keeps showing 8 bit in video information on zidoo, while on vpr says 12 bit.

6. failax

failax Member

It seems this device cannot handle videos with 10/12 bit 4.2.2, maybe an issue of the soc.It would be necessary an official reply from zidoo.

7. Roman Unucka

Roman Unucka New Member

8. failax

failax Member

9. Tony77

Tony77 Member

I'm kinda guessing here but I have a feeling the 4:4:4 was intended for RGB.. there is really no such thing in ycbcr.. 99% of HD video is actually 4:2:0... (& 8bit) oddly I can't select anything lower than 4:2:2 since 2.1.28.. I also know my 1yr old 4kuhdSammy doesn't support anything higher than 4K @ 4:2:0 over hdmi anyway unless your talking RGB on a pc!

So it's possible if you're trying to FORCE higher chroma subsampling than your source or display accepts you'd likely get BANDING as a result..

I see it as the example with limiting the color range..other than a pc everybody should be using LIMITED HDMI...now if you FORCE to expand the color range we all know what happens!! colors look like SHIT, bcuz they don't exist in source to produce!

Logically, if you try to over FORCE some other setting like chromasubsampling the results won't look so good...upscaling is RARELY worthwhile! Also meaning...if you're not using 4k source, better off leaving at 1080p. (My experience anyway.. hope saves some of u time I've already wasted! Lol)