Shuttering with any big video file.

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by chiquito3, Dec 22, 2019.

1. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

I have shuttering trouble with any video file over 25GB. It plays with some shuttering and sometimes looses audio and I have to stop playback go back to poster and then play again to regain audio. At first I thought this was only a 4K video file problem but it happens with any big video file. Must of them are REMUX.

2. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

My files are in a LenovoEMC NAS. I tried the last Remux file that shuttered when played from the NAS with a locally connected hdd to one of the usb3 inputs. The file tested is a Remux 1080p video file of 39GB. It worked fine from a local connection. So I guess that my problem is a network connection. At least with the 1080p video. I will try one 4K to make sure that is definitely my problem.
    I will like some advice on what to do to improve the network connection so it plays all videos with no shuttering?
    My connection is: Liberty Cable ConnectBox modem/router;
    PC, Lenovo NAS connected to ConnectBox ethernet ports using cat 6 cable.
    Belkin router connected to ConnectBox ethernet using cat 6a cable 100 feets long. Z9s connected to Belking router ethernet using cat 5 cable.
    Please advice how can I test the reliability of my network connections?

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I have my Z9S running as a SMB Server. When I access Z9S from my PC (SMB Client) with a fast HDD SATA attached to the Z9S it does over 100 MBytes/sec. Which is a true wirerate Gigabit. This is how I run my network setup. My Zidoo is actually the NAS for me. Connect a quality USB3 HDD Docking Station to it (2, 4, 8 or even 10-slot) and you have a really good & cheap NAS up to 100 TByte.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    chiquito3 likes this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus New Member

Try connect with 5e cat. Cat 5 is 10Mbit

chiquito3 likes this.
  5. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

Nice Monkey I appreciate your advice, but I already have the LenovoNAS and would like to try to make it work. If not then I guess your advice would be my next bet.
    But you make a point about the transfer rate you get when you connect to the Z9S. I guess I could use that to make sure what is my actual transfer rate from PC to Z9S and assume that it is the same as the LenovoNAS to the Z9S or is there a way to measure that specific rate?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  6. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

Seamus. Yes this was going to be my next step.

7. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

Excuse my ignorance guys. I do have a 1080p LG plasma. Why is that when a 4K video is played the picture has no brightness. Is that something that I can fix?

8. Nice Monkey

Cat5 is 100Mbit but was designed for Gbit using 4 pairs (8 wires) the specification proved not to be adequate up to 100 meters. So superseded by Cat5e quickly.
    On short(er) distances it still may work well. the best cable one can get today is Cat8.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    chiquito3 likes this.
  9. metar

metar New Member

You have no brightness probably because the TV can't decode the HDR.

chiquito3 likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Try the convert HDR to SDR option. Report to work well with some 4K projectors without HDR.

chiquito3 likes this.
  11. chiquito3

chiquito3 Member

Guys,
    I first substitute the cat5 ethernet cable to one cat5e that I found at home. It did not make any difference. Then it occured to me to play again with the way the Z9S is connecting to the NAS. It was using nfs and I changed the source to conneat using Samba. To my surprise it did made a big difference. I could play an UHD movie with no shuttering. The movie was still very opac but less than before. I did set the HDR to SDR converter to bright and it also makes a difference but not that great. So I guess I'll have to wait till I buy an UHD TV.

12. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

my z9s connects to my pc share folder via smb and most of the time, uhd remux file play back is smooth, as long as no other heavy disc activities. short 5e cables should be fine for the job.