Hard drive duplicate library restore problems.

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by callanish1, Dec 10, 2019.

1. callanish1

callanish1 New Member

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here. My Z9S is running with a 4TB WD passport external hard drive. It's been setup correctly and everything runs fine. I thought I'd make a backup, a complete duplicate of everything from the original hard drive to another exact WD 4TB external hard drive which I did through the computer. I also made a library backup to the storage drive of all the posters so it would be an easy transition as far as using the restore option. When I plug in the backup drive and restore the library and then go back into Home Theater with all the movie posters, I'm getting a poster loop. Keeps saying found a source to be updated and automatically scanned the device in 5,4,3,2,1, then it refreshes and then comes up with Loading posters, please wait. Keeps doing that on a loop. I can go into preferences and turn off automatic updating sources and it stops, but the thing is, even if I backup the full library from the original 4TB hard drive and restore that library to the backup 4TB, any movies which I've added and updated on the original hard drive show up in Home Theater with a new scanned poster, but the backup drive doesn't show any of the new added movies whatsoever. They are on there, just not in Home Theater. Automatic scan storage is on.

There has to be something obvious that I'm doing wrong here. The poster loop isn't affecting the original WD drive, just the backup drive. Can someone give me any pointers on what I need to do to get the backup drive with all the movies and posters intact without screwing up everything on the original source drive. I get the feeling I'll have to restart the complete re scanning process on the backup drive and fix every movie that wasn't recognized through the scanning process which I had to do on the original drive. That's the reason I was hoping that the library backup would just transfer over without too much fuss. Scratching my head on this one.

Thanks for any help.

2. metar

metar New Member

Hmmm, maybe (MAYBE) is just because the 'backup' drive has another name.
    I *suppose* that you just backupped the original drive just with 'ctrl-c' and then 'ctrl-v' in the new one.

I'm telling this just because I did something similar: I went from a drive to a bigger one, just copying every file/folder.
    Then I had to rescan with the HT2, for I found that the drives had different names (just saying 'WD passport AA' and 'WD passport AB').
    You can see this through the scan settings.

3. callanish1

callanish1 New Member

Yeah, that's exactly what I did with the backup drive. Just a simple copy and paste of the folders from the original to the new drive, but I think I've solved the problem. I hooked up both drives to the Zidoo, original and backup and then used the option synchronize from other source. I chose the original drive as the other source. Once it completed the sync, I turned off the box. Removed the original drive. Booted up the Zidoo with the backup drive and everything so far, with crossed fingers, is working fine. No loop, Automatic updating storage is still on and all movies have been updated.

Anyway, thanks for the information. A combination of a rescan and 'synchronize from other source; was the key to solving this.